Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Plug a tire?

Well for those of you familiar with our demise, the saga continues. I have a lot of stories of the pick-up for when I have more time but in the mean time,

Can you and if not, why couldn't you plug a RV tire? Ask me why I need to know... :/
2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Powerstroke SRW CC
iStalvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStalvey View Post
Well for those of you familiar with our demise, the saga continues. I have a lot of stories of the pick-up for when I have more time but in the mean time,

Can you and if not, why couldn't you plug a RV tire? Ask me why I need to know... :/
I would say yes as a temporary measure to get somewhere to get it fixed properly. Plugs are not really designed to be used on high speed tires.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree with the above. Plug it if you must as a stop gap (no pun intended), and then get it to a tire shop to be properly patched or replaced. Too much weight at high speed to take a chance on a plug as a long term repair, IMO. Although, I have plugged car tires in the past and run them for several thousand miles without any trouble.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I asked this question last year. I also thought that a plug would be a risk on these Chinese tires. However, I plugged it and it's still going strong. I must have at least 2000 miles on it so far. I wouldn't hesitate to plug it. I've plugged many tires on my vehicles over the years and never had an issue, now I can add the trailer to that list.
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

There are two main types of plugs. Actually three if you count the rubber ones that need cold valcanized to the tire, but let's not talk about those. There are black tar like plugs that I would only use as a temporary use until you can get a patch put on. Then there is a gold or orange is more of a synthetic or hybrid tacky adhesive that last longer and does not break down as easy. Not many places carry them. These are more of a permanent repair. I once saw a tire with at least a hundred of these in the sidewall. Guess what he was selling? The shop I was working at started using these as a cheap repair. The problem is if you ream the hole you do not want to cause more damage to the steel belts.
The best method is the cold valcanized combination plug patch.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ext. Cab 8' bed.
jakesz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Site Team

I would use a plug on the tread area only. NEVER on a sidewall. And I've seen people do this.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

OK, I'll bite since no one else did....

iStalvey, why do you need to know? lol

Also, I'm sure we'd all love to hear how your truck situation is turning out. I was hoping it was going well for you, but it sounds like just the opposite.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Lol thanks for the replies guys. After getting the RV home to Savannah I had to store it temporarily. Well after a 8hr trouble free drive, although exciting being the first time I've pulled something that big coupled with severe thunderstorms, I arrive at the storage lot and go to put my chocks in and hear the infamous hiss. Yep, a screw square in middle of the tire. It missed the thread and is in the area between the treads. Must have picked it up in the storage lot. Of course all they offered was an apology so I'm stuck with it. Pun intended.

I realize now that what I meant was patch, not plug the tire. I am familiar with plugging and patching auto tires but like you guys said, with the weight of the rig I am concerned if it was possible and safe to patch a RV tire.

Still debating on rather or not to use the roadside assistance that came with the rig, my insurance, or just go pull the damned thing off and carry it to the tire shop myself. I've been watching videos on how to change a RV tandem axle tire. Seems easy enough.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
Site Team

Take advantage of your roadside assistance esp if it's free.
Good luck

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Good luck. I wouldn't be a bit afraid of a good patch.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
Good luck. I wouldn't be a bit afraid of a good patch.
That would be the best way to fix it.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:48 AM   #12
Site Team

Myself-----I wouldn't patch it.
We have enough problems with those junk tires that come with these RVs without trying to create another problem to go along with it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I agree with Lloyd
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:12 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStalvey View Post
Lol thanks for the replies guys. After getting the RV home to Savannah I had to store it temporarily. Well after a 8hr trouble free drive, although exciting being the first time I've pulled something that big coupled with severe thunderstorms, I arrive at the storage lot and go to put my chocks in and hear the infamous hiss. Yep, a screw square in middle of the tire. It missed the thread and is in the area between the treads. Must have picked it up in the storage lot. Of course all they offered was an apology so I'm stuck with it. Pun intended.

I realize now that what I meant was patch, not plug the tire. I am familiar with plugging and patching auto tires but like you guys said, with the weight of the rig I am concerned if it was possible and safe to patch a RV tire.

Still debating on rather or not to use the roadside assistance that came with the rig, my insurance, or just go pull the damned thing off and carry it to the tire shop myself. I've been watching videos on how to change a RV tandem axle tire. Seems easy enough.
1) no problem patching these tires if done properly. I wouldn't rely on just the plug. A proper plug and patch job is best. Drove our trailer 900 miles home from the dealer and had a slow leak start half way home. Was a continuous drive so topped it up twice to 80lbs and made it home - must have been a small nail as I didn't let it drop below 60psi (unloaded trailer as well so less weight). Removed the tire and the shop I use plugged and patched it. 4,200 miles of towing last summer and no leaks from the tire - E rated 80lbs psi.

2) that being said, I have just plugged my E rated truck tires - 2 in my last set of coopers on my F250 and one so far on the Coopers now on my F350. Ran over 40,000 miles with plugs in the last truck with no problems. 20,000 miles on the plug in the new tires with no issues. Done properly, there aren't issues but the tires aren't the same as the RV type.

Easy to remove and take it into the shop for a proper fix and likely take less time. If roadside assistance does the repair on site, I'd have less faith in it - not the same tools. I remove and reinstall my wheels twice per year (long story) and it's an easy job. I use a grooved 1 foot 2X4 below the axle and above the 12 ton bottle jack or floor jack. The 2X4 distributes the weight on the axle to the jack point. These light walled axles aren't heavy like the truck where you can jack direct on the axle.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the detail, Scott. Much appreciated. I was thinking the same thing, road side assistance or insurance could send whoever and they might not know what they are doing. So I have decided to do it myself. I bought 2 10ton bottle jacks on Amazon last night and will take it off myself and to a tire shop. I was afraid of that with the axels which is why I bought 2 jacks. Figured I would place one on the frame just behind the rear tire, and one on the frame just in front of the front tire and jack them up together.