Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

portable ice makers

Just curious have any of you used or own a portable ice maker, the ones you can put on a counter? Good/ bad results, brands? Thought these would be handy.
scoutdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have Haier I bought at BJ's warehouse about 8 years ago for about $170 bucks. Runs like a champ and just used it our most recent trip.

Just a couple things to keep in mind: 1)They tend to be noisy. It will keep you up at night if you don't have a bedroom door. 2)They tend to be heavy. Mine is around 30 pounds. 3)They generate heat and take up considerable amount of counter space. You need to have air space around it on the counter. Mine has a pretty good size footprint, the dimensions are 17" high x15"widex14"deep.

All said, for what they charge for ice at the campgrounds it's paid for itself a couple times over.

Like I said, we've had ours for about 8 years, but I've heard of them failing after a a couple years. I'm glad we have one.

Perhaps get the extended warranty if your concerned.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

have you set it outside, does it work okay?
Old 07-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Yes, and no don't use it outside. It has a couple computer boards and it will overheat if outside in warm weather. Pretty much quits making ice because it's not insulated all that well and will produce little "Cheerio" shaped ice instead of the nice large ice tubes.

I would attribute it lasting this long because we've not use it outside.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #5
Site Team

I bought one of these Igloo branded ice makes a couple of years ago from Sam's Club, Igloo Compact Ice Maker - Assorted Colors - Sam's Club. It works well. I think it was $20 off when I bought it.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:17 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Definately looks smaller than ours, but of course that was a few years ago and designs may have certainly improved.

Just remember to look at the output. Your not going to fill up a cooler after running it for a couple hours. They make about a cup and half of ice every 15-20 minutes, enough for drinks. We run ours 24/7 and put the ice in zip lock bags in the rv freezer when were planning a day trip away from the campground.

also, the cubes are not solid, more so a cylinder, so they tend to melt a bit faster. Just wanted to make sure you know what your getting.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

We have one, purchased off of eBay. It works great in cool weather, but when it was 110 in the trailer in Redding CA last week, it would not work at all. In the morning, when we got the trailer down to about 78, then it started working. I think cool or cold water would have helped in that heat.
murphysranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:50 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Bought a magic chef unit last year for $69 at one of those sales where Home Depot puts all kinds of sale items in the aisles and makes it hard to walk through the store. It works well, has 2 settings - one makes ice faster but it is thin and the second takes longer and produces thicker ice. They are small round ice cylinders with holes in center. Great for drinks with a few friends and can handle a small gathering. The nice thing about the ice maker is while the ice bucket is not refrigerated and the ice will melt, it melts directly into the water reservoir and is pumped back up to make new ice. I have used it successfully outdoors on the shaded patio, and it always goes with us in the RV. Doesn't make a lot of noise. I turn it on in the morning and off at night. Have also bagged excess ice for freezer as mentioned above. Doesn't make a huge amount but I'm happy with it. Footprint is 12" long x 8" wide x 12" tall.
Denny
President, Susquehanna Valley Chapter Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC).
denviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
I bought one of these Igloo branded ice makes a couple of years ago from Sam's Club, Igloo Compact Ice Maker - Assorted Colors - Sam's Club. It works well. I think it was $20 off when I bought it.
Went to Sam's and bought 1 yesterday, works good so far, these was the ones I was looking at already, Thanks