Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 05:26 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Power Awning

Hello....needing help with awning, locating and removing motor cover. I do know the motor is in the front arm of the awning. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the cover covering the motor. It will not deploy, causing the breaker to blow when the button is pushed. So, the is a short, needing to look at the motor area.

thanks for any and all responses.

Norm
nconant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:28 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Which brand of awning do you have ? Can you give us a pic of it ?

Most of the mfg's have manuals online for review...
like --> https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree30/product-library

good luck !
Old 10-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

2013 curiser Crossroads

pic of power awning does have carefree logo....model unk

sorry for the sideways view.

trying to get into motor area to check for short...I can't seem to figure out how to remove the cover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg awning.jpg (121.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

The awning needs to be unrolled to get to the back of the head where the screws are. Check online or get with carefree as there is a way to unroll or roll up in case you loose power to it
Old 10-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks for website

Well, not having model, I believe I have figured out how to gain access to motor (6 screws on back side). This is not so easy, as it is locked up against the rv. I can unscrew the motor head from the braces...its a balancing act.

Thanks for the help

Norm
Old 10-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Norm it is probably the carefree traveller
Old 10-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

There should be a wire in your bag of crap you got from the dealer. Apparently you hook up the wires to the 2cotterpins visible and hook to a battery....not sure but maybe someone else knows how to emergency move it ..

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
There should be a wire in your bag of crap you got from the dealer. Apparently you hook up the wires to the 2cotterpins visible and hook to a battery....not sure but maybe someone else knows how to emergency move it ..
According to the manual the cotter pins should have been removed after awning installed, DON'T connect power to them, they were for alignment only during installation.
There are 2 terminals under the plastic cover to connect power, but if you can't extend the awning I don't know how you connect to them.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Is there a rubber plug on the end of the awning at the big part. If so the plug pulls out and you can use a cordless drill and usually a 7/16 socket to manually power the awning out.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

I had a Carefree awning on my previous Cruiser and when it failed when closed, the only solution was to take wire cutters and pliers and destroy the cover piece by piece. Then ordered replacement cover along with the new motor.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

let's see if I can upload the carefree manual - not all three - 3 mb upload limit reached

this is one type, but the others would be available on the carefree website...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 052547-221r1, Eclipse Owners Manual.pdf (488.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf 052568-001r4, Eclipse Installation Manual.pdf (1.45 MB, 1 views)
Old 10-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Awning

Well, as best as I understand the manual, release the head roller from the arm. There are 6 screws on the back of the motor head. Disconnect the house wires going to the motor. Re-secure the cover and put head back on arm. Take the 12v alligator clips to the two silver terminals on the back of the head. Connect to 12v power. This will get the awning open....as long as the motor is not shot. I need it open to located what I believe is a short on the house power line to the awning.

Thanks all....
Old 10-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nconant View Post
Well, as best as I understand the manual, release the head roller from the arm. There are 6 screws on the back of the motor head. Disconnect the house wires going to the motor. Re-secure the cover and put head back on arm. Take the 12v alligator clips to the two silver terminals on the back of the head. Connect to 12v power. This will get the awning open....as long as the motor is not shot. I need it open to located what I believe is a short on the house power line to the awning.

Thanks all....
And I think that means you have to release it at both ends so you can unroll the tube a half turn to gain access to the screws. As I recall the arms may also need to be secured so the gas struts won't push them open, the struts are strong and force increases the further they open.

That is why I just trashed the plastic cover, with the front ripped open, the gear set is held in place with 3 screws, remove it, manually unroll the awning a few turns, then reinstall the gear set to lock everything, now the backside screws and back cover can be removed. It may be I damaged, but the covers are only sold as a set. It has been a few years so my info may be inaccurate today.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:18 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Well, just like I had stated in my previous post.....once unpluged from house line, the 12v jumper to the rear of the housing opened the awning. I searched and searched for a pinched or short in the line along the arms to the motor.....negative results. And of course, it is working everytime now.

Now, the solution to the motor housing is to cut a square opening in the face of the motor housing. This way, accessing the wires to disconnect the motor from the house line would be much easier, should there be a recurrance of this nature. I am just figuring out a way to keep the cut hole in the housing water tight.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I'd think you could find a rubber or plastic plug at Lowes or through McMaster Carr. One its plugged, seal it with clear silicone. Should be good to go.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #16
Site Team

Or this on ebay; Lot of 16 Rubber Hole Plugs 610061 | eBay

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:57 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Great idea.....thanks
Old 10-22-2016, 05:54 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

So I have been reading all of these and of course, my awning now won't open.....