Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi there all, I have an unusual question. I want to change my manual awning on my 2006 ZT29DB Zinger to a power awning. The problem that I have is that the trailer has aluminum sides. The dealer that I am dealing with tells me that he is afraid to replace my awning , because he thinks that there won.t be a beam in thew proper place for the awning arm. am I not safe to assume that if there is an awning there already, the arms of the new one will be going up in the same place.

Help!

2017 Thor Windsport
36' Motorhome
Pulling 2018 Ford Flex
usolm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

You should be able to see were the wall studs are to detemine size and location. On our power awning there is a metal beam coming down from the roof line that hold the lower arm ( about 2-3 feet) so mounting to the corugated siding may be the issue the dealer has.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

With a manual awning the roller tube is held in place by the track, so there are no mounting bolts or screws at the top. Then because the arms can adjust to any length, the bottom mouning hardware can be attached all the way at the bottom of the wall and hit the bottom plate, plywood floor or even the aluminum floor joist. My point is during installation, it is not necessary for the arms to fall directly on two different studs.

A power awning has a track that must attach to the wall, but it is not the full height of the trailer, therefore it is better if it can be attached into a stud. Also the screws are located inboard from the top and bottom. While not an absolute requirement that it hits a stud, it is important that the track cannot flex (meaning it must be bolted tightly to the wall). And this is difficult to achieve with aluminum siding, the ribs of the siding would need to be flatten to achieve a firm mount. Or spacers/standoffs would be needed at each of the mounting points, again needing a solid stud behind.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Dayle1 That's exactly what I thought, just means that this install could be done, but with possibly more difficulty. Anyhow I took the liberty to contact Randy at Crossroads, Awaiting his call on Monday. I will take his advice. I would really like to change out the awning, but I do realize that it may just be the wrong thing to do.

Thanks again for all the help from both dayle1 and we-canoe.l

2017 Thor Windsport
36' Motorhome
Pulling 2018 Ford Flex
usolm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

The power awning uprights are short as stated and would have to be mounted in the middle area of the arms you have now. But it could work out where you bolt thru the camper wall.The nut side could be inside a cabinet or behind a curtain where its never seen.Just a thought. I like the power awnings and now wouldn't want anything else.Good luck.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote