Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
Pmk
Weekend Camper

power awning issue

Well, I thought I posted this two days ago... apologies if it shows up twice. I've got a new 28BH (purchased Memorial Day weekend) and on about the fourth trip out the awning did not roll in correctly- one of the awning arms did not close completely (almost, but not quite). I rolled it in and out again, no change. There was no storm, no obvious damage or reason for this to have happened. I dropped it off at Camping World on the way home (it was within my 90 days of purchase and there were a couple of little things to fix). The tech said this wasn't an uncommon thing, the fabric "shifts" after the first couple of uses and thought it would be a couple of days to fix. A MONTH LATER (and several upset phone calls) they say that they can't fix it, the warranty won't cover a new awning arm, and this will be a quite expensive repair (300 for the part plus labor). I'm speechless and at a loss as to what to do next. I've not had a power awning before- has anyone else had this problem?? I don't know what to do other than to pick it up and just continue on with a bent awning arm as I can't foot a 4-500 dollar repair right now, but that just doesn't seem right on a brand new rig. If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears.... is it worth trying to contact Crossroads myself?
Two elderly toy dogs who love to camp
TGIF (This Grandma is Fabulous!)
Pmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

A new trailer and no satisfaction from your dealer and/or warranty, I'd definitely would be contacting everyone necessary to get this thing repaired. Something must have slipped or was installed off kilter, or perhaps something has become loose where awning is attached to trailer, I'd also be doing some serious investigating to try to spot the culprit not allowing it to roll back up evenly or tightly. Even something like a twig on top of awning on one side while rolling up can cause one side to roll up slightly faster and unevenly leaving the opposite arm slightly loose and not snugged up against the trailer.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Call, not email Crossroads directly. Explain the situation calmly. Then see what happens. After no satisfaction there, call Keystone Rv's, if no satisfaction there, call Thor, Keep going up the ladder.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Call, not email Crossroads directly. Explain the situation calmly. Then see what happens. After no satisfaction there, call Keystone Rv's, if no satisfaction there, call Thor, Keep going up the ladder.
I agree. Or maybe find a different dealer to get the warranty work done. I've always used Camping World with good success. Now the manufacturer may have sent the wrong color part (like a door) but that wasn't their fault.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Try doing this yourself.....take the small screw out in the awning track on the c channel near the roof . Spray some WD 40 along the c channel where the awning is in. Move it back and forth a bit each way and guestimate where centre is . And roll up awning . Might work . If does . Install screw in that spot. May take a few tries.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I had same problem. Awning was a little out of square, or what ever and metal arms would line up to close 100%. I'd push on arm while wife tapped retract button. Got worse with every use. Easy fix, I removed "set" screw. Now awing will slide an inch or so, to allow to align itself. Has worked flawless for 3 yrs. now.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
Pmk
Weekend Camper

re: power awning issue

Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely try adjusting the screw first, then if that doesn't work I'll start working the phone to Crossroads. I don't think I've ever been as mad as I was leaving that dealership Friday, but I have to say the guy in front of me and the guy behind me had far worse problems that had no resolutions!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
Pmk
Weekend Camper

Apologies if this posts twice, one of these days I'll figure out how to make posts stick...
Update on my issue, called Crossroads and the awning manufacturer (Carefree) denied my claim as "not a manufacturing defect"- nothing more Crossroads can do for me. She did comment that she thought $300 for an awning arm seemed steep (quoted from Camping World, plus the $150/hr for labor). I haven't been able to tie my son-in-law down and have him try the "adjust the screw" option, but tried the awning this past weekend and it groaned so I won't be doing that again. Will try the screw adjustment but if that doesn't work I'm going to bite the bullet and pay for this repair- not going to risk more damage to a brand new rig. Does anyone have an idea if $300 is reasonable for an awning arm?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

What is the price of the arm from Carefree, it shouldn't be too difficult to install. Check with another dealer to compare cost. You might look around for a used arm at different dealers. They are always replacing awnings and may have parts. eBay has the arms that would give you an idea of price.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I replaced one last year, bought off Amazon. Took Less than an hour to replace with 2 people.

I seem to recall there were a few posts on how to do it here somewhere.

Cost me $292 shipped with Prime at the time, lists for $348 now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote