Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Power problem.

I have a 2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB which I leave connected to a GFI 110v 20 amp shore power when not in use. I noticed recently that the GFI on this 110v circuit had tripped and my RV battery was dead. I installed a new battery and all of my 12v stuff works but 110v stuff does not. If I turn off the 15 amp circuit breaker labeled "Front" and reset the 110 GFI, the power stays on but none of the 12v stuff works although the 110v outlets in the RV do work. As soon as I turn the 15 amp breaker on, the 110v GFI trips. The two 40 amp blade circuit breakers on the RV panel are good. I tightened all the wire connecters at the panel. I'm guessing the old RV battery probably cooked to death and this may have caused some sort of electrical problem. My closest dealer is 70 miles away so I am hoping someone on this forum can offer some suggestions and save me a trip and some bucks. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

The 15amp breaker labled front also goes to the converter. the converter takes AC and makes DC for your lights and such. this breaker needs to be on. Sounds like you are drawing to many amps or you may have a short to ground that is causing your 110 GFI to trip. make sure everything is off like water heater and Air conditioning unit. also how are you feeding power to the GFCI. If you are using an extension cord it may be to long or to small a gage.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Most likely the GFCI doesn't like the wiring in your trailer. Especially since the frame isn't grounded. Try a different outlet without GFCI and you may find all is well.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Jason - thanks for responding. I use a heavy duty extension cord that has worked fine for several years. It is plugged into a 110 GFI in my garage. Water heater and AC are off.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Good point! avvidclif. I forgot how finicky GFCI can be. They do not like two sources of power sharing the same grounds or commons. The converter would = a second source of power on the same ground...

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

The converter shouldn't trip a gfci. There is no reason that it would leak current to another ground path. If it keeps tripping you either have a bad gfci or a wiring error in the trailer.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
TrainSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:37 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Start by replacing the GFI's I had to relace both of mine with in a month of the purchasing of the unit. One was bad, and I replaced the other as insurance
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Did you ever get this problem resolved? I have the exact same issue, the "front" breaker is tripping the 110v 15amp circuit (non-gfci) that I am plugged into. I have always used this outlet without issues unless the AC cut in.

I'm suspecting the converter was drawing too much juice trying to charge a dead 7 year old battery, so I just replaced the battery with new. I still can't get the Front breaker on without tripping my shore power circuit. Could the converter be toast?
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #9
Site Team

techie
This thread is 6 years old. Most of the people who posted on it have probably moved on, and are no longer active on the forum.

You will probably have better luck by starting a new thread detailing your problem.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote