Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #1
Pmk
Weekend Camper

Power question

We have a Zinger 28BH. Twice now we’ve had trouble when plugged into 30 amp at the post in a campground- the power keeps going off and we have to flip the power on and off at the post. Both times we have finally plugged into the 50amp power with an adapter to our 30 amp power cord and the problem has resolved. We weren’t running much at all either time. Wondering if this is a trailer issue or a park issue. The first time I chalked it up to the post but now after last night I’m not so sure...
Two elderly toy dogs who love to camp
TGIF (This Grandma is Fabulous!)
Pmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
Site Team

What were you running at the time? Any electric heaters coffee pots water heater on electric? It all adds up. Also some parks the electric breakers have tripped so many times they may be weak.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I had it preached enough to me, so I'm gonna preach it..
If you have a Progressive EMS surge protector, the monitor will tell you your amp draw, among other useful information. You would know at a glance what is happening with your incoming electricity.
Everyone should have one, there are many people on here that can tell you how it has saved them.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
Pmk
Weekend Camper

We were running the a/c (fan only), one string of LED lights, a small oscillating fan, and now that I think of it the fridge was set to both gas and electric as we were just setting up. What I thought was strange was that tapping into supposedly the same amount of amperage using the 50-to-30 converter cord (surely I’m using the wrong terms but you get the gist) stopped the problem. I don’t know much about power but in ten years this is the first time I’ve run across this.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Sounds more like a park issue. I have had to do the same thing using the 50 to 30 adapter and then no problems. If it does it at other parks then you will have to check deeper.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:24 AM   #6
Pmk
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone for the replies. I’ll have to see what happens on into the summer. Happy camping!
Old 05-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
New Camper

I have a 2012 Cruiser 5th wheel, and recently bought a 2000 W portable generator for use on the road. The generator puts out appropriate power, but does not power up the trailer. Plugging into a 110 outlet, works fine. What am I missing? Could it have something to do with the surge protector?
Art Birdsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Birdsley View Post
I have a 2012 Cruiser 5th wheel, and recently bought a 2000 W portable generator for use on the road. The generator puts out appropriate power, but does not power up the trailer. Plugging into a 110 outlet, works fine. What am I missing? Could it have something to do with the surge protector?
A 2000W generator is ok to power up 1500W morning coffee machine in the morning but nothing more at the same time. Now lets say your trailer is a 30A service, you should have around that 3500W generator (30A x 110v = 3300w) Your generator. BUT you might need a neutral ground plug if your trailer isequipped with a surge protector.. Here is a well explained video of what you need to check, and how to fix.