Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

I just bought a Karcher power washer on clearance from Target. The price was too good to pass up. I have wanted one for a long time so I can spray down the RV. My question is whether or not I can safely use it to wash the rubber roof. I can scale down the pressure so that is not the issue. Do any of you have an opinion or personal experience? The washer would be used in conjunction with a rubber roof cleaning agent.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We had our roof and trailer washed then waxed at Buckhorn Lake Resort last week while we were there and they used a power washer. He used a brush and roof cleaner then rinsed it with the power washer but not at real high pressure. I intend to have it done again when we are there for the rally. I think if youstay 4 to 6 feet away from the roof and use a fan pattern you would be fine.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have used my 2500 psi washer on the roof but I use the spray nozzle that is like 30-degrees to get a good even fan spray that won't damage the roof.....should be fine

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Site Team

I ain't got guts enough to use my power washer on the roof!!!!!!
One mistake and you've got something screwed up. Whats wrong with using a garden hose with a spray nozzle on the end of it?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

For those of you that have done it both ways (press washer or soap and hand brush) which does a better job?

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Site Team

My pics tell it all.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the answers. Yesterday, after taking the power washer out of the box I went outside and tried it out on our driveway. I only did the truck half as a test. It works as advertised but now I have to do the second half of the drive I really do not see washing concrete as it gets dirty quickly but there I was, wand in hand.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
jeb
Family Vacation Member

If you decide to use the pressure washer on the roof, which I don't believe is necessary, be sure to be very careful when the stream is directed at an opening (A/C, vents, whatever) as these seals were not designed to keep water out if that water is under pressure. I used one (with even less pressure than your's) on a motor home a few years ago and ended up with a wet ceiling inside.

Bummer.

All you should have to do is scrub it lightly with Spic n Span and then rinse it well. Use plenty of water to rinse so that the sides don't streak. Of course, if the sides streak, you'll have another job for the new pressure washer.

2008 Chevy 2500 with Duramax/Allison

1 wife

3 cats

and a family of racoons.
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

If you keep the spray wand about 3 to 4 feet away it will work good. Which i have done. the problem is the risk of all that contraption on the roof and poking holes if you drop something.

I once dropped my spray nozzle from the garden hose. Slipped out of my hand.. Poked a hole, dang it.. Thought i was doing good by cleaning the roof and instead i poked a hole . lol..

Now i just use spic and span with a extending auto brush. Easier and works good.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #10
New Camper

A pressure washer will definitely do the job better and quicker. I would for sure do this. Just be careful as to stay a little away from the paint so you don't damage it though.
pressure-washing is offline   Reply With Quote