Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

My wife and I are thinking about purchasing our TV in advance of the 5er so that we can get the TV ready for towing. I know about the spray in bed liners and selecting an appropriate hitch. I'm also thinking that I will have a class 3 hitch receiver installed on the back and front of the TV. My question to the forum is "What other things need to be done to a new TV to make sure it is ready for towing a 5er?" We will be purchasing a new, well equipped, Dodge 3500 with a standard rear axle and are planning on towing a CF30SK. We will be getting an employee discount on the Dodge so I can't be swayed from that decision!!!

Thanks for any input

Gary

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Does your Dodge have a tow package? Adjustable mirrors? Break controller? A concern I had was if the bed height would make for a level ride and adequate side wall clearance.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Gary,
Wow you are sure think of alot of stuff. My TV had the trailer package, as I am sure all do now, so brake controllers, tow haul, ect were installed, all I needed was the hitch. I did get the bed sprayed and the hitch installed. At the same time the pig tail was installed in the bed so I did not have to use the one in the rear. All the rest is purely optional. As far as the back and front receivers one in the back would be nice to tow if you needed but would have nothing to do with the 5er and the front one could be used for bikes. I guess your choice. Sounds like you have a big shopping list.

Have a great time with your 5er

Old 05-11-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Hmmmm....... Ok..., you may be putting the cart before the horse but since you plan on buying a CF30SK then here's what I'd do. If you going buy a Dodge 3500, then order it instead of buying it off of the lot.It may cost a bit more but you'll be more satisfied with yourtruck.Orderit with a dieseland their 6 speed automatic transmission, the towing package, a set of camper extendable mirrors and any interior amenities that you'd like. Also some will suggest a 4X4 but unless you intend to go into very remote locations with a 33 foot 5vr, it isn't really necessary. A 4X2 with a locker rear axle will work fine and you'll get more carrying capacity to boot.

Asfor thehitch, you'll need the minimumof a 15/16K slider hitch, but you may probably forgo the slider if you getthelong box instead of thestandardbox. I'm not sure whyyou'd need aClass 3 hitch on the front of the truck but that's your decision. Thetow package on the truck willlikely include thatplus the electrics
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:05 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Let me explain my thoughts on the front receiver hitch...First it could be used for a bike rack or other accessories that use a receiver. The other thought is for launching a boat. Many boat ramps use cement slabs even underwater to make the ramp smooth. The problem is that many of these ramps develop a slime on them which makes them extremely slippery. I have already decided to go with a 4x2 TV. With a front hitch I can keep the drive wheels dry and avoid slipping on a slimy ramp. Also, my wife has a real problem backing a trailer. A front hitch should it easier since she could see what is happening with the trailer without the confusion of mirrors or turning around to look backwards. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Gary

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:17 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

The Bodiak front receiver hitches are worth a look.Click Here

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:48 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

The truck you are looking at should already have the right hitch under the bumper, You shouldn't need that.

I bought a 4 x 4 because it is what every one is going to want when you go to sell it, Meaning it will be worth more and it will be easier to sell. Not to mention it is nice to have evey once and a while. The bed highth would scare me, I'm sure it works as there are a lot of Dodges that pull out there I'm just not sure how they do it.

I always backed our boat in the water and then let my wife pull the trailer out.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
New Camper

I got the "equa-flex" equalizers on my "CF30SK" , and am really glad I did as the ride is so much smoother.
handyhank is offline   Reply With Quote