Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

We will be picking up our new CF305SKP shortly and need to make a turn-around in our driveway. We have a standard, one car deep, turn-around just off the apron for the garage. I am thinking of extending this in a large circle such that it rejoins the driveway in the opposite direction. Can someone tell me how much the trailer will track inside the truck when turning sharply. I need to know how wide the drive should be to keep both truck and trailer on the gravel drive? I can't back into our driveway from the street like many of you probably can because our driveway is 1/2 mile long, so a turn-around near the house is the only practical solution I can see.

Thanks,

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Gary...I hope I can explain this correctly. I have the same layout as you. My driveway is 200' long and then splits into a large circle drive in front of the house that I use to swing the 30SK around in. It goes around a large grass island area. From the center of the island, the inside radius is 18' and the outside radius of the driveway is 40' This is just enough room to make a turn with my ext cab truck and a 70dg turn. I can turn sharper but the RV wheels will hit the grass island. If this is not clear, Email me from my profile and I will email some pictures of what I am trying to explain.

Edited by: Stan
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Stan:

Your explanation was very clear! I'll be doing some measuring tomorrow. I'm fairly sure that I have the room to modify my driveway very similar to yours.

We will be going down to RVW to pick up our 5er on Friday March 25th. We'll stay at Indian Lake campgrounds Friday night and then take the 5er back to RVW on Saturday. They will then rewinterize the unit and we will leave for Michigan, hopefully very happy campers!!!

Thanks,

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

What I gave you were, in my opinion, the minimum radius's (what's the plural of radius???). If you have room, I would recommend a 20' radius inner and 45' outer radius. We are heading to the Texas Rally (left this morning). Have a great first camping experience with the new rig.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:50 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Sailor---I'm picking up my new CF305SKP Friday the 18th, will be taking it out for a test on that weekend. We got a look at ours on Monday--It looked good, still a little dirty from the delivery trip, but I'm sure by Friday it'll be spick & span. We want to stay the first couple of nights near the dealer just in case. After that we'll use it on weekends for a year or so and then we will be able to take it out for extended trips. Heres to you and me having a long and happy relationship with our new 5'rs.

Flyone
Old 03-17-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I just put in a similar turn-around circle at the end of my drive last fall. It is 75 feet in diameter, with the center being about 30-35 feet in diameter. I think that is the minimum. If you have room for the 90 feet diameter, go for it. I wish I had that extra room.

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

jererp is offline   Reply With Quote