Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Cool Prepping for our first dry weekend. Race weekend.

Next weekend we are heading out to Watkins Glen International for the race weekend and our first fully dry weekend.

Power. We tested our new Champion generator this weekend and it started the AC without any issue which will keeps my wife happy. I still have to sort out a fuel container and securing it on site but it's not a major issue. Battery, well it was flat dead when I went to get the trailer, but after getting home and hooking up to the house it seemed to take a charge. Turns out we left one of the lights on onside the kids bunk. I'll test the battery again before we leave.

Can I assume if I leave the truck connected and running I can put the awning and slide out and it will still pull that power from the truck?

Water: Our dealer told me to never leave water in the tank so I always drain the low points when we leave but I plan to put in 20-30 gal at home and then top it up when I get to the track.

Propane: tanks are full from our last trip so that should keep the fridge happy.

I swapped every light to LED so we should be safe for a night without killing the battery even with a fan or two on if it's hot. I guess you can't run the generator after 11pm so I plan on cranking the AC for an hour or two before bed.

Gray & Black: I plan to dump on the hwy rest stop or at a rv park close to home.

I washed and waxed the trailer again today so it's bright and glowing and ready for a super fun weekend.

Fingers crossed everything goes fine. . Can anyone think of something I missed?
Old 06-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Site Team

If you only have one battery, my suggestion would be to go sparingly on the current.

I'm not just sure it will pull all the power from the truck to do what you talked about, but, the truck should be still putting a charge into the camper battery during that procedure.

Have fun!!!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

You can leave water in your tank. We always kept our fresh water tank at least 1/3-2/3 full. We sanitize it yearly. You should be fine to fill it at home unless you are worried about weight. Enjoy your qerke.d, I know DH wants desperately to go to one of the races (and we are less than two hrs from Charlotte).

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Yes, just the one factory battery. I see no need to change as we will be at powered sites most of the time, and I guess we have the generator for those that don't have power.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
Site Team

All the power used should come from the trailer batteries when you extend the slide and awning, but the truck will keep it charged as long as you have it connected. I may make Watkins Glen next year. I'd love to watch the Tudor series there. I'll be watching them at VIR in a couple of months. I'm also seriously considering the Rolex 24 in January.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
You can leave water in your tank. We always kept our fresh water tank at least 1/3-2/3 full. We sanitize it yearly. You should be fine to fill it at home unless you are worried about weight. Enjoy your qerke.d, I know DH wants desperately to go to one of the races (and we are less than two hrs from Charlotte).

What is "qerke.d", suppose to mean?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
All the power used should come from the trailer batteries when you extend the slide and awning, but the truck will keep it charged as long as you have it connected. I may make Watkins Glen next year. I'd love to watch the Tudor series there. I'll be watching them at VIR in a couple of months. I'm also seriously considering the Rolex 24 in January.
I've been going to Mosport in Ontario for 15+ years but this year we wanted a change. I've been to the Rolex twice but never with my trailer, it's just too far to haul for one weekend. Petite LeMans is a favourite as well.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I think that was supposed to be "weekend"
Old 06-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Stupid kindle, gets me every time I forget to proofread. It's supposed to be weekend.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 06-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

If you are worried about battery ...bring a spare from a boat(yours or friends) and you can just jump them together. But for 1 weekend , you will be fine . I can go 4 days on 1 battery.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

See you at the race - looks like you have all covered. Don't forget lots of your favorite Canadian Beer. I'll bring some local beers you can try.

I usually only carry enough water so we can use the bathroom if needed and then fill up at the track. Our tank is at the back of the trailer - it is only support by a rear L channel and a steel strap.

For those interested in camping At The Glen. Great race track.

There are plenty of water faucets to fill the water tank at the track - it is good quality water (no sulfur and minerals).

The track has quite a few dump stations now - pretty good setup for a race track.

I usually only need a second battery when I dry camp and the furnace runs allot. I bring a 4000 watt generator to the track - mainly to cool down the trailer if it is in the 80's - trailer is in the sun all day.

All of the rest rooms have been upgraded and have running water. Showers have been added to the rest rooms the last few years. Another great improvement for the raced fans.

Plenty of refreshment stands and ice at the track.

If one needs water and power - there are sites behind the front stretch grand stands - cost a bit though.

You are no longer allowed to drive around in the track interior/in-field (new this year). There will be a shuttle bus that will take you to various locations on the track. It is a big track and covers allot of ground and elevation changes.

The President of the track meets with the fans on Saturday morning for free coffee and donuts - he does listen to the fans.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

You guys have me craving a NASCAR race weekend!!!! We are in Lake George,NY for the week. We are loving our new Z1 271 BH. I have to say we have had no problems with our new TT. On the subject we boon docked for 4 days and only ran the generator for about an hr a day. Brought 40 gal. of fresh water and had plenty to spare at the end of the weekend. Enjoy yourselves I'M JEALOUSE!!!!!!
Stonehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehunt View Post
You guys have me craving a NASCAR race weekend!!!! We are in Lake George,NY for the week. We are loving our new Z1 271 BH. I have to say we have had no problems with our new TT. On the subject we boon docked for 4 days and only ran the generator for about an hr a day. Brought 40 gal. of fresh water and had plenty to spare at the end of the weekend. Enjoy yourselves I'M JEALOUSE!!!!!!
My grandson and I will be going to the Nascar race in August too - will we be staying at Sampson State Park. A bit of a drive (30 miles) to the track but the track is just too crowded that weekend for us.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopers_dad View Post
I think that was supposed to be "weekend"
You should come down here to V.I.R. It is a beautiful location and great racing. The one thing I'm disappointed about this year though is that the prototypes are not coming, but the prototype challenge class is. Last fall I enjoyed watching the Deltawing running around the track. It just looks so weird. Here's a picture of it on the false grid waiting to go out onto the track.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deltawing.jpg (193.6 KB, 3 views)

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

We have been contemplating hitting VIR. It's not too far from us. I think DH and I would do ok dry camping at a track but not sure how much my 7yr old dd would enjoy it.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 06-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

I used to do NASA events at VIR, it's a beautiful track.

I'd really like to visit Road America one summer.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

I hope things have improved, but I have been to and heard about problems at the campsite at Watkins Glen. Used to live about an hour away, so I never stayed camping, but know several people who have had issues with things "walking away" from campers in the past. Also, the booze flows freely so be prepared to be hearing noise into the night.
Like I said, I hope things have improved, but be prepared for an interesting weekend.
SCT Flash 4X tune
Billstein upgrade shocks and dampener
2008 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
RADMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADMiller View Post
I hope things have improved, but I have been to and heard about problems at the campsite at Watkins Glen. Used to live about an hour away, so I never stayed camping, but know several people who have had issues with things "walking away" from campers in the past. Also, the booze flows freely so be prepared to be hearing noise into the night.
Like I said, I hope things have improved, but be prepared for an interesting weekend.
Sounds like every race I've ever been to. Things have improved in the past few years but it's still a 4 day party for most. If it's noisy then I'll be happy to run my generator all night and drown out the noise.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Yes, just the one factory battery. I see no need to change as we will be at powered sites most of the time, and I guess we have the generator for those that don't have power.
Just remember that you need that battery to start the generator too.

Going anywhere with a "flat" battery will only lead to frustration at best. When batteries discharge, they sulfate very quickly and lose their capacity.

I would not even think about heading out once you have a bad as noted.

However, if you do, give us a recap once back. I'd hate to tell you we said so.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I used to do NASA events at VIR, it's a beautiful track.
I didn't know they fly in there these days? I know it's a fast track but didn't know they also have a long landing strip!

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote