Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
New Camper

Does anyone put a very small amount of bleach into their potable water tank. If so what's the ratio?

pcausey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I use a product called "Water Pure" from Wal Mart, 2 caps to 20 gal. water. It is probably the same asbleach, but it takes the guess work out of using Clorox and I feel like its safer..
mosledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I use bleach. About 1/2 cup into a full tank. Caution, do not use too much as it can actually burn into the water lines and the water will taste like bleach for a long time. It doesn't take much to cleanse the system. I do this once per year in the Spring.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I would consider Stan's dose to be for system sanitation, but would not want to drink that much chlorine. I go by a dose that is stated in an oldbrochurefrom Everpure, Inc.about RVs and water.

Use 1/6th ounce (1 teaspoonful) of chlorine bleach to each 10 gallons of water. For a tank of 40 gallons, that would be .083 cups. This doses the water with 6.7 ppm chlorine, the recommended dosage for the quick-kill of harmful bacteria, viruses and slime-forming organisms. I dispensethe bleach with a squeeze bottle that measures 1/2 ozs into the hose prior to filling. You will also not have the chlorine smell hitting you if you drink it.

My local municipal water rates at 2.69 ppm with a allowance range of 0.61 - 4.58 ppm.

Again, this dose is for maintaining the health of your system and potable water.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Bob is correct. I only use bleach to sanitize the system and then flush it out repeatedly 3-4 times. I don't use bleach at all during the camping season.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Just like Stan, I do not treat if I fill from my home city water source. But if I fill from a source I suspect to be from a local well, I treat with the teaspoon per 10 gallons.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote