Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
New Camper

Dear members,

My husband purchased a new 2011 Crossroads Zinger Travel Trailer, ZT29DS, aboutfive weeks ago.Two weeks after purchase, he was installing a more powerful bathroom vent fan and rain vents over the existing ones in the bedroom and living area. While on the roof, he discovered that where all the seams in the roof go across the trailer, there were bubblesand that the area around the seams was not glued down to the roof. He took the unit back to the dealer to have Crossroads look at the problem. It has been three weeks since taking it back, and the manufacturer says that these bubbles and the roof being loose are normal. He and the dealer disagree with the manufacturer. I smell a rat. My question to you--is this roof condition normal? I feel we are at a standoff with Crossroads, and that nothing is going to be done about the roof. We had itparked in our storage building fortwo weeks, and never even got to use it. We need some input from you all regarding if this is a normal condition and on how to proceed from here!

Thank you,

A fed up new Zinger owner

camper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Crossroad's website says the roof on the Zinger is a one piece rubber roof. Something doesn't sound right.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
Site Team

Do you have seams in the rubber membrane it self, or are you referring to the seams under the membrane where the roof decking meets? The membrane on my roof is one piece, but I can see where the decking meets under it, making it look kind of a seam. I also have bubbles under the membrane. I was concerned at first, but they don't seem to be growing any bigger. So will continue to monitor. Yours is not the only one to have bubbles. Other members have reported the same thing.
If your roof is not a one piece membrane, then that is a different story that maybe CR needs to address.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

On the Zinge I had there were bubbles on the roof never gave us any problem. according to our tech at the dealer that is pretty normal on some roofs when it was hot out there were all most none

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I don't have a Zinger, but have a Cruiser and there are areas where you can see a slight raises / bubbles nothing along seams. The warmer is it the worst it is. Never had any issues and will take for expansion and contraction. I would say it's normal.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

When we picked our zinger up and were doing the PDI, my husband climbed on the roof and saw bubbles. The dealer said this was normal. I also remember that while I was researching trailers seeing somewhere that some roofs do get bubbles and that it is normal to have some bubbles (something to do with the heating/drying process).
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
New Camper

Dear Members,

To all who have responded, thank you! Our roof is a one piece rubber roof, with no seams in the rubber. The seams are underneath the the membrane where theroof decking meets. The bubbles are under the membrane and are only in the areaswhere theroof decking meets, which is what I was referring to as"seams". We went back to the dealer today and looked at the roof again in outdoor light. Three of the "seam" areas are not bad at all, look pretty smooth and bubble free for the most part. However, in the"seam" area in front ofand in back of the roofA/C unit, there are bubbles all the way across from one side of the roof to the other. I was under the impression that the dealer agreed withus that this was not a normal condition (that is what the salesman said), but the servicemanager who tookus out to look at ourroof andthe roofs of some of the other trailers says they do see this onquite a few trailers. My question to him today was how could three of the"seams" look mostly bubble freewhile the two other"seams" look very bubbly? Since he is sayingthis is a common condition, I am now not even sure if they sent the pictures of the condition to the manufacturer. We have insisted that theymake sure they weresent or send them if they weren't sentbefore to get the manufacturer's take on this. I will say that we saw a couple other trailers with bubbles, but none that were near as bad as the twoseam areas on ours. And, we formerly owned a 2006ClassAFleetwood Bounder thathad a perfect roof on it--no bubbles at all. Sothis is the reason we are still concerned. We'll see how this plays out.....

Thank you all again for your response!

A fed upnew Zinger owner
camper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I have a 12" bubble on mine and it has not changed in 4 years. I had CR place a permanent note into my file at CR (and I have a copy) stating that while this is not the best situation, it is very common. If I ever have an issue, Hopefully the letter will help get it resolved. However, as stated, the bubble has not changed at all.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:55 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

We have a 2010 26BH Zinger (bought new in 2010) and it has exactly what you are describing....bubbles in the roof that run the lenght of each seam in the roof decking. I've also read that this a rather common condition and does not get worse with time. I haven't really worried about it. I think you'll be ok.
zenasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:27 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

If the service manager has looked at the problem and agrees with the factory then do like Stan and make sure it is documented that it is a concern. Doesn't the roof have a 10 year warranty? If something was to happen and it is documented then that should cover your #$$!

https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote