Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Hey guys,

I have a Prodigy brake controller and I took it for a drive today and when I came to a stop and then took off again the brakes were not releasing for about 30 seconds or longer. They werent locked up they just were dragging for that period of time.

I did adjust the brakes before I took off, but they were adjusted right too because I took out the Prodigy and put my old timed controller in and the brakes work like they should.

Anyone ever have this problem with their Prodigy?

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

First, to answer your question; No, I've not experienced your problem.

That said, I sounds like you have a wiring error or a positioning problem with your Prodigy. The sequence of events that you should see with your Prodigy is as follows:

1: When the trailer is connected, you should see on your Prodigy, " c . " or " . c . " if you have the boost set.

2: When you apply the brakes you should see the voltage indication read up to 3 or 4 depending on the braking effort and when you release the brake pedal, the indication should go back to" c . ".

If you are getting the sequence that I described, then the wiring should be ok at least.

The angle at which you mount your Prodigy is important and I suspect that is where your problem lies. It can tolerate some tilt but it is best to position it as close horizontal as possible because the Prodigy uses an electronic pendulum to work it's magic. To get the electronic pendulum to work well, it needs to be relatively horizontal. If it is set too much to the vertical, it will work but it may take a while to return to it's neutral position thus applying power to the brake coils as you have described. Your timed controller can mounted any old way, where the Prodigy can't.

Once you get the Prodigy set up, you'll never want to use the timed controller again.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Hamops,

Ok thanks, yes I do have the sequence that you described, it does exactly them you mentioned above.

I do have it on a tilt, about a 50 degree, so I will try to get it down to level.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Is anybody using the Prodigy P3? I think most of what I've read on the forum is about the P2. Any reviews or comments on the P3 compared to the P2 would be appreciated. I'm thinking about getting one.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:08 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Can you say highjack? LOL Man and only after 3 posts that's fast

Old 06-22-2010, 02:00 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Sorry about that Brian, I guess it seemed to sort of fit but maybe not. I am anxious to hear how yours ends up working. I always learn something here.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

No problem Kenny, I was just kidding around with ya!

To follow up on what has happened with the controller:

I called and then tested the controller per their instructions andthey said after the testing that the controller is bad. When at a stand still with the trailer hooked up when I apply the brakes it shoots way up in voltage. Which the voltage should only be about 25% of what my gain is set at. So that means if the gain is set at 10 volts then at a stand still the voltage reading on the Prodigy display should be around 2.5 volts which is about 25% of the voltage the gain is set at. (you check the voltage for the gain by having the trailer hooked up and just pull the brake lever on the Prodigy all the way over to the left, then read the voltage gain on the screen.)

Old 06-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Ok so I went to the dealer for Tekonsha here close to me, well about and hour away thats close enough.

I called before I went and they said no problem bring it it.

So I get there and the girl Im talking with about it says we have only the P2 the upgraded Prodigy so we are giving that one to you! I said WHAT!!! that is way cool. This is the first time I went to this dealer and it wont be the last. Great customer service and everyone I talked to took all the time you wanted to answer questions.

The name of the place is the Circle K RV center in Lapeer MI. If you ever need anything and are close they can help ya for sure very knowledgable staff.

So far the P2 works flawlessly, it is still at about 50% angle and doesnt show any signs of failure like the first generation Prodigy did. It does have another boost setting on it thats 4 boost settings, and it works at any angle 360 degrees and also works now with electric over hydraulic brakes too.