Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest View Post
It sounds funny but a lot of campgrounds require you to purchase bundles of firewood only from them (yes, it sounds like a money scam but some campgrounds don't charge for it or it is cheap) but with Dutch Elm Disease and Pine Beatle infestations they don't want these things traveling into their wooded areas. If you are caught burning outside wood (bundles are identifiable and there is a record of your purchase from the campground) you could be subject to a fine as well as eviction by the rangers or conservation officers.

Say you bring your own wood and have a fire - they know you didn't purchase it there so it's not difficult detective work.

And we are getting a little off topic here. Back to the propane firepit.

Scott,
Now that makes a little sense of that reasoning. Maybe a little of topic as well but kinda reminds my of the Quagga Mussel issue out here in the west. Boat inspections are mandatory for most lakes.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #22
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsunset View Post
Umm just an FYI, if you camp in Minnesota State Parks, Don't even pick up a twig to burn. They'll get you!

In all honesty, don't gather wood in Minnesota State parks, They will fine you. Also, don't bring wood in either, we have a limit of how far wood can travel in Minnesota, unless it is kiln dried. (Think 2X4). So we are kinda at the mercy of the wood supplier.
IL also has similar rules. The last State Park we stayed in did not have any wood for sale. Camp host said they sold wood at the horse stables several miles away. The stables are private. There just happened to be a IDNR guy sitting at the picnic table with the camp host. He said why buy it when you can gather all the down wood you want for free. I was kinda surprised too but there was a lot of wood that I did collect and had enough for two nights fire.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:48 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
IL also has similar rules. The last State Park we stayed in did not have any wood for sale. Camp host said they sold wood at the horse stables several miles away. The stables are private. There just happened to be a IDNR guy sitting at the picnic table with the camp host. He said why buy it when you can gather all the down wood you want for free. I was kinda surprised too but there was a lot of wood that I did collect and had enough for two nights fire.

Like Scott said in an earlier post, lets keep this thread going on propane fire pits. If you guys want to discuss firewood---start a new thread.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #24
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Like Scott said in an earlier post, lets keep this thread going on propane fire pits. If you guys want to discuss firewood---start a new thread.
Ok Loyd. Sorry. CW has the Big Red propane fir pit on internet sale for $149.99. Just saw it on my e-mail.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote