Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Propane gas firepit

Maybe this is something everyone has known about...except me!

Just went camping down here at the beach a week ago and found out that many state parks now require gas propane fire pits. No more wood, especially with the fire danger out here.

Several other campsites had campfires and they all had this unit from Lowes.

So, we went on line and just bought one of these, tried last night in the back yard, and wow. I was amazed at how well it worked. It has a valve to allow a low frame up to the higher flame if really cold.

Reviews indicate a 20# bottle will last about 7 hrs of use.

Kinda weird having a fire and no smoke to have to deal with. Also, no smokey clothes at the end of the day.

My first thought was...this is just wrong.

However, after playing with it, I think we might forget the firewood and start using this instead. Call me crazy.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_466652-53470...0037272&rpp=32

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Quite a few years back we were camped up on the shores of Lake Superior. One night it started to storm real bad and the first responders came and moved everyone into the storm shelter. On the way over I noticed somebody had a campfire still going in the rain. After the all clear we headed back to the camper and that campfire was still going.
Went over and checked it out and that was exactly what they had. Pretty neat.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

We have a small Camp Chef propane fire pit that we carry with us occasionally. In the later part of summer here there are campfire bans in the National Forests on the eastern slopes of the Cascade Mtns. Nice to have when sitting outside at night. I've even propped up my griddle over it and cooked breakfast. We'll also take it with us sometimes if we are going to a park with the sites close together or we don't want to deal with getting or paying for firewood.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Only problem I have with it is the expense. For me it's $20 to fill a 20 lb tank. Our fires are usually about 4 hrs long. That's more than half a tank about $12. It is convenient though.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thumbs up

We have one of these also, I just bought a few fittings and made it so I can hook the supply line to the quink disconnet for my outside kitchen. Now no extra bottle to carry unless I want to.
tramguage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

We've had one for about 5 years. We don't use it all the time but they are great to have for fire bans. Also, we weren't allowed a wood burning fire pit in our back yard so this was a great alternative. Ours states that it'll last 18 hours on a 20 lb tank.
2014 Sunset Trail ST270BH
-Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Only problem I have with it is the expense. For me it's $20 to fill a 20 lb tank. Our fires are usually about 4 hrs long. That's more than half a tank about $12. It is convenient though.
Understood, but not having a fire while camping is something the grand kids just don't understand.

We'd rather just spend the little extra, however, ever bought firewood from the camp host

Not sure you're any further ahead.

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider
Old 05-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

This unit from Lowes is much better than some I have seen, unfortunately not available in Canada. Lots of campgrounds we are in have fire bans and this is a good option - also easier to start and shut down and since I sometimes get really stuffed up from real campfires this would be a great alternative.

I like the fact I could remove the regulator and hook it up directly to my on board propane like I did with my Weber Q220. We are heading north this year to Alaska so unlikely to find this unit - normally we head south into the USA and would pick this up on the way. Price is way better than the others I have seen - up here the only one I have seen that is comparable is the Camco Big Red Campfire and its about $200.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

My neighbors bought one of those propane fire rings from Lowes and it was nice, but it did seem to burn through the propane faster then stated.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest View Post
This unit from Lowes is much better than some I have seen, unfortunately not available in Canada. We are heading north this year to Alaska so unlikely to find this unit - normally we head south into the USA and would pick this up on the way. 00.
We went to Lowes.com and ordered it right to our doorstep at no additional charge. Took about 3 days to receive.

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider
Old 05-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
We went to Lowes.com and ordered it right to our doorstep at no additional charge. Took about 3 days to receive.
We have to use www.lowes.ca (Canadian site) and unfortunately they don't carry that model.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 05-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #12
Site Team

Check this one out to see if they will ship to you.
http://www.hayneedle.com/product/bon...irefirepit.cfm
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Nice find, Lloyd, but no ship to Canada. Found one at Cabelas today that is nice. $175 of course. I need to go back and pull it out of the box to see if I can modify it for the on board propane. Looks like it will work, though.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/62717/...e-gas-fire-pit
Saskatoon, SK
Old 05-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

OK, maybe its just me. But when I can't have a wood fire here in Minnesota is the day I quick camping and stay at home.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsunset View Post
OK, maybe its just me. But when I can't have a wood fire here in Minnesota is the day I quick camping and stay at home.
When it's dry, a lot of campgrounds have a no fire policy unless there has been a recent rain - see it more in the Midwest and South (had it in upstate New York two years ago as well). But we get it in Canada a lot too - especially in the National Parks. Not going to let us stop camping. An open fire is only one small part of the fun!!
Saskatoon, SK
Old 05-05-2014, 04:02 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Bought my at Sam's for $50.00. Several of my camping friends also have one of these propane fire pits and love it.

Randy McCaslin
Jonesboro, Georgia
2010 CR Kingston 35SB
2011 Chevy 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison
rvscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

I have thought about one just for the convenience. I do like to have to have a fire. On our last trip I just collected enough free dead wood that was just laying around I didn't have to buy any. I have noticed that most parks say no chain saws but has anyone ever cut up dead wood with a saws all while camping?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Just an FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
I have thought about one just for the convenience. I do like to have to have a fire. On our last trip I just collected enough free dead wood that was just laying around I didn't have to buy any. I have noticed that most parks say no chain saws but has anyone ever cut up dead wood with a saws all while camping?

Umm just an FYI, if you camp in Minnesota State Parks, Don't even pick up a twig to burn. They'll get you!

In all honesty, don't gather wood in Minnesota State parks, They will fine you. Also, don't bring wood in either, we have a limit of how far wood can travel in Minnesota, unless it is kiln dried. (Think 2X4). So we are kinda at the mercy of the wood supplier.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsunset View Post
Umm just an FYI, if you camp in Minnesota State Parks, Don't even pick up a twig to burn. They'll get you!

In all honesty, don't gather wood in Minnesota State parks, They will fine you. Also, don't bring wood in either, we have a limit of how far wood can travel in Minnesota, unless it is kiln dried. (Think 2X4). So we are kinda at the mercy of the wood supplier.
So how do the badges track wood travel? Do they measure travel limits based on wood type, species, etc?

I've heard of crazy laws but that one takes the cake.

The Wood Patrol.

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider
Old 05-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
So how do the badges track wood travel? Do they measure travel limits based on wood type, species, etc?

I've heard of crazy laws but that one takes the cake.

The Wood Patrol.
It sounds funny but a lot of campgrounds require you to purchase bundles of firewood only from them (yes, it sounds like a money scam but some campgrounds don't charge for it or it is cheap) but with Dutch Elm Disease and Pine Beatle infestations they don't want these things traveling into their wooded areas. If you are caught burning outside wood (bundles are identifiable and there is a record of your purchase from the campground) you could be subject to a fine as well as eviction by the rangers or conservation officers.

Say you bring your own wood and have a fire - they know you didn't purchase it there so it's not difficult detective work.

And we are getting a little off topic here. Back to the propane firepit.
Saskatoon, SK