Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Propane on when trailering?

Just watched a u tube video warning about trailering with the propane turned on. The concern centered around a tire blow out and the resulting tire and steel belts ripping into the propane lines running along side the frame near the tires. The warning was about the belts and any sparks igniting the propane.
Is this a concern, what are the options of the members here?
2016 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

We run with it turned on so we can keep the fridge cold. There's always the possibility of something like that happening but hard to predict. A lot of travel days for us are 500 miles and that's a long time to have the fridge off. It is recommended during fueling to shut them off but this risk about tire blowout is new to me. Won't stop me from leaving it on while towing though.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I've towed a bunch of miles with the propane turned on to keep the fridge cold. As Scott said, 6 or 7 hours is a long haul with perishable items in the fridge. There is a risk, but not enough for me to worry too much about. I did smell propane at a rest stop once, and when I checked it out, it was a leaking compression fitting in the line going to the outdoor kitchen on my previous camper. It is a good idea to pay attention to things like that when you stop.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

it is on here. I think about all the reasons above but like said others it out ways the risk.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Modern propane regulators have a high flow rate safety shutoff. If a propane line is ruptured for any reason the high flow will quickly result in the flow being shutoff. Blown tire, ruptured hose while operating kitchen slide out, or whatever happens, the regulator is designed to minimize the risk.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
Site Team

We also run with the propane on. We are real conscious about shutting the fridge off before going up to the pumps. More so now with the gasoline.
I've heard some say they weren't to worried about an ignition at the pumps because they were pumping diesel.
For those of you that feel that way, just remember, the guy next to you, behind you, or in front of you, might be pumping gas, and if the wind is in the right direction there could be a big explosion.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I saw a trailer accident last year and yes they catch on fire. But if your in an accident, you are going to have bigger problems.

Also, I believe you're supposed to shut off the propane and fridge when traveling through tunnels. Not that I am compliant

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Dayle1 is correct. The propane cylinders have an excess flow feature that will stop the flow of propane with a line break situation.
Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I wondered if it was safe to leave the fridge on when towing. I asked at my walk thru when I purchased the trailer. He told me for safety and liability he had to tell me to turn it off.
He said he knew people in fifth wheels that towed with it on.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ext. Cab 8' bed.
jakesz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
Site Team

I know of very few that do tow with it off. Like others said on a long trip, how do you keep your food cold? If a tunnel requires I turn it off, I do, then turn it back on.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
We also run with the propane on. We are real conscious about shutting the fridge off before going up to the pumps. More so now with the gasoline.
I've heard some say they weren't to worried about an ignition at the pumps because they were pumping diesel.
For those of you that feel that way, just remember, the guy next to you, behind you, or in front of you, might be pumping gas, and if the wind is in the right direction there could be a big explosion.
Unless like many of us, we use the big rig fueling stations where gasoline isn't anywhere to be found.

I like the taller canopy heights and wide bays too.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #12
Site Team

Does that mean you don't turn your fridge off while you are fueling?
Old 05-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

I run with the fridge on and refuel the same. Don't know of anyone who turns theirs off. The concentration of fumes from a filling station, at the distance and height of a fridges propane flame, would need to be so great for an explosion that I just don't see it happening.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsunset View Post
I run with the fridge on and refuel the same. Don't know of anyone who turns theirs off. The concentration of fumes from a filling station, at the distance and height of a fridges propane flame, would need to be so great for an explosion that I just don't see it happening.
You apparently have never seen the videos of explosions at the gas pumps.
Fumes travel on air currents, and gas fumes are the worst. They not only travel with air currents, they can also pocket.
I hope for you and your families sake this never happens to you.
It's a minor inconvenience to shut it off and turn it back on, but well worth it for the safety of everyone around.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

I know a tire can go from debris in the road, but a good practice is to check tire temp every few hundred miles to see if they are overly warm. low or over inflated tires can heat up and blow just as easily as a debris blowout. FYI, I do know the tunnels going into VaBch require ALL campers with propane to be inspected before entering. The Lehigh tunnel in Pa does not. Pay attention to signage and you won't be surprised.
SCT Flash 4X tune
Billstein upgrade shocks and dampener
2008 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
RADMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
You apparently have never seen the videos of explosions at the gas pumps.
Fumes travel on air currents, and gas fumes are the worst. They not only travel with air currents, they can also pocket.
I hope for you and your families sake this never happens to you.
It's a minor inconvenience to shut it off and turn it back on, but well worth it for the safety of everyone around.
I could not agree with Lloyd more! I spent 41 years working in a oil refinery where safe practices were preached every day and still s%$t happened. One time a fellow was drawing water out of the bottom of a large gasoline storage tank. He opened the water draw, walked half way around the tank, a distance of a couple hundred feet, lit up a cigarette and started the fumes coming out with the water on fire. Fortunately he nor anyone else was injured. Major fire resulted from an improperly grounded sample draw when the raw gasoline lit off due to static electricity. Two people were seriously burned and damage was in the millions. And diesel drivers, DO NOT think you are immune. Diesel has to be loaded in tank cars and trucks at a slower rate than gasoline because in is more susceptible to static build up. Better safe than sorry any day!

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Glad I got a residential pkg running off the inverter then
Old 05-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to tomandlori
I think All the propane gas lines are black steal pipes. Just like the ones in your house. It will be pretty hard to puncture that line with a tire steal belt.
tomandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandlori View Post
I think All the propane gas lines are black steal pipes. Just like the ones in your house. It will be pretty hard to puncture that line with a tire steal belt.
There is a piece of copper tubing behind my tire for the water heater. That could get ripped apart pretty easily. But the chances of it getting ripped open then igniting are small compared to all the other things that can happen.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ext. Cab 8' bed.
jakesz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Glad I got a residential pkg running off the inverter then
John, you're not totally immune either. Nobody is. Static electricity can happen just by sliding in or out of the vehicle. That's why they warn people to stay at the pump once they start pumping fuel. A lot of people will jump back in the vehicle after starting the pump, especially up here in the cold country during the winter.