Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 06:52 AM   #1
Amk
Weekend Camper

Propane oven

can't get oven to operate. Pilot lights but won't go further. Pilot assembly has been replaced but still same problem.
Any suggestions?
Amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

when they replaced the pilot assembly did they replace the thermocouple? The thermocouple is what keeps the pilot lit so the burner can light. After the pilot is lit, you have to continue to hold the knob "IN" for a bit to warm up the thermocouple. Is the tip of the thermocouple within the pilot flame?
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
Amk
Weekend Camper

Thanks for your reply...... We had the whole assembly replaced at a service provider.... Not sure if they replaced the thermocouple. We've tried various things. When the enamel plate is unscrewed and removed the burner lights.....replace it, and it stops working. Frustrated��
Old 07-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Is the tip of the thermocouple within the pilot flame?
Have you checked to see if this is happening?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amk View Post
Thanks for your reply...... We had the whole assembly replaced at a service provider.... Not sure if they replaced the thermocouple. We've tried various things. When the enamel plate is unscrewed and removed the burner lights.....replace it, and it stops working. Frustrated��
I think the enamel plate you're referring to is the oven "floor" that you set things on, and the pilot is just below that. The pilot is a VERY small flame, and it must be heating the thermocouple, as previously mentioned. If all works well until you put the plate back on, then it must be a positioning error. Perhaps the plate is smothering the flame, or it is pushing the thermocouple (which should be just above the flame) to one side.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #6
New Camper

I have always had alot of trouble lighting my oven since I bought it new in 2014. Found out if I light the burner on the stove then try to light the pilot it fires right up.
jbanks27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I don't think it is a thermocouple. more likely a mercury tube. If the pilot stays on that part is working. Turning the oven control up should bring on the burner. Turn it past pilot to 350 and see if it comes on. If not and the pilot is on you have a bad thermostat or oven valve.
Winterpegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
Amk
Weekend Camper

Propane oven

Thanks everyone.... The pilot will stay lighted forever as long as the button is held in....as soon as the button is released to turn up the temperature- out it goes.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Once again, the pilot light has to warm the thermocouple. If the flame is touching it, and it does this, the thermocouple is bad.
Dalzell SC
Old 07-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Either the capillary tube or gas valve is probably bad. Not sure if either can be purchased separately or not. Do a search for trouble shooting tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slick View Post
Either the capillary tube or gas valve is probably bad. Not sure if either can be purchased separately or not. Do a search for trouble shooting tips.
2Slick, you're more correct than I have been. I've been using the term "thermocouple" (a device that changes heat into a millivolt output) when I should have been referring to the mercury-filled capillary tube, which when heated, pushes mercury up the tube, and trips something in the gas valve that allows it to operate. Same function, but different design and method.

That being said, the OP said it works with the plate removed. He hasn't identified whether the flame of the pilot is hitting the end of the capillary tube. Until he tells us it does, my money's on a parts misalignment.
Dalzell SC
Old 07-15-2016, 05:58 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
2Slick, you're more correct than I have been. I've been using the term "thermocouple" (a device that changes heat into a millivolt output) when I should have been referring to the mercury-filled capillary tube, which when heated, pushes mercury up the tube, and trips something in the gas valve that allows it to operate. Same function, but different design and method.

That being said, the OP said it works with the plate removed. He hasn't identified whether the flame of the pilot is hitting the end of the capillary tube. Until he tells us it does, my money's on a parts misalignment.

I failed to note it operated with plate removed. I'm thinking it is against the plate when it is in place, thus absorbing the heat out of the capillary tube.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

There is not a thermocouple in a gas oven. It is a tube filled with mercury that expands to hold in the safety for the pilot.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

That sounds possible. The tip of the tube should glow red when heated enough. On my oven there is 1/2 or to the plate.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:01 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slick View Post
I failed to note it operated with plate removed. I'm thinking it is against the plate when it is in place, thus absorbing the heat out of the capillary tube.

Definitely sounds like the plate is touching the pilot assembly and acting like a heat sink.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #16
Amk
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone- haven't be able to work on your suggestions yet.....hopefully this week. I'll follow up once we've had a chance to check it out.