Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Propane Quick Disconnect Problem

At the end of my propane line there is a rectangular housing that has one quick disconnect, and a plug at the end of the supply line. I purchased a quick disconnect and fitting today to replace the end plug. When I tried it, the propane would not feed to my BBQ. I had already removed my regulator from my BBQ, as I’ve been using it on a quick disconnect in the middle of the trailer for some time now. At first I thought it was a defective quick disconnect, but it worked on the one for the refrigerator coming off the same housing.

My two questions are:

1). What is that housing called?

2). Is the end connection different from the side connections? Maybe the side hole is restricted, and the end one is not, causing too much flow to the appliance causing an automatic shut off? The regulator is at the tank, so this wouldn’t make sense to me.

I’ve attached a pic. The blue tape is covering the end connection hole. Never mind the C Clamp, it is there so add support while I removed the end plug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1A0C9776-13A2-4736-9E3A-7B9C5DDD080E.jpeg (171.8 KB, 33 views)
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

That block appears to be just a "T" for the gas line made such as to be able to bolt it to the frame.
If both halves of the quick coupling are not perfectly matched they may connect but not push in far enough to allow gas flow. You may have to buy a complete matched quick coupling.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:02 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
That block appears to be just a "T" for the gas line made such as to be able to bolt it to the frame.
If both halves of the quick coupling are not perfectly matched they may connect but not push in far enough to allow gas flow. You may have to buy a complete matched quick coupling.
Thanks TT. I think you may be correct about the connection not being good for some reason. I will try a new QD, and if still not good buy a set where they come together. I didn’t add, I was trying to diagnose it going between one that I knew worked and th new one. One time the new one worked, then I bolted it up and never worked again, even after unbolting from frame. The ball as opening as I could see it when it was apart, so the male to female may not have been siting well enough.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Steve
I would suggest to recruit someone to help you to turn gas on while you check the opening where the blue tape is to determine if the side connection, as you call it, is energized...Or better yet use a gauge...

As far as the quick disconnect is concerned both the male & female should have a part number on them so you can distinguish if it can be matched to another fitting, whether male or female...Also make sure you have a GAS quick disconnect and NOT a WATER quick disconnect...They are different...Or at least that is what I was told...

Good luck...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Thanks Tommie. I did get it at an RV shop. I will take your other suggestions. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Looking at your picture, I noted that it is like mine. I too had a struggle with the propane coming to my Grill when connected.
There is an on / switch on the fitting. Note the tab in the picture that is sticking toward you. You need to have that turned off to insert the snap fitting into place. It will not seat. Once the extended hose is fitted, now turn on the gas using that switch.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildasindrive View Post
Looking at your picture, I noted that it is like mine. I too had a struggle with the propane coming to my Grill when connected.
There is an on / switch on the fitting. Note the tab in the picture that is sticking toward you. You need to have that turned off to insert the snap fitting into place. It will not seat. Once the extended hose is fitted, now turn on the gas using that switch.
Thanks Wildasindrive, I use it as you described. I’ve been using the bbq with the factory installed QD in the middle of the trailer, but that location is inconvenient as it puts me near my entrance door and sometimes smoke will go into the trailer.

I’m hoping to get this QD installed near the end of the trailer so I can keep the bbq in the rear. If not, I will buy a 12’ extension hose to go with my 10’ hose and run it out o the rear. I’ll be attempting it again on Tuesday with another QD first.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #8
Site Team

Steve, are the connectors all the same brand/make? In other words, all from the same company?
I had trouble getting some to work awhile back. Come to find out they're not all the same. Even ones for LP. I ended up getting all my fittings from Camco. End of problem.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Thanks Lloyd. Tt said the same thing basically. I bought the pieces separately so that could be the problem. I already have the hose, so I would have to buy the hose with the QD male and the QD again all of the same I guess. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
Site Team

You should be able to buy the setup in my picture and screw it onto your hose. If I'm understanding what you are saying correctly, it should work that way.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
I already have the hose, so I would have to buy the hose with the QD male and the QD again all of the same I guess. Thanks.
Steve
You may not have to replace the whole hose...If the male fitting on the hose has to be changed, to fit the female, bring the hose and the female fitting you have already to a propane dealer they should have the tools to cut the old fitting off and attach the new fitting with a permanent crimp clamp...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
You should be able to buy the setup in my picture and screw it onto your hose. If I'm understanding what you are saying correctly, it should work that way.
That’s what I was thinking, but when I attempted to remove the male end on the hose, it never loosened, just spun. I’m gonna try it again and see if I can get it off unless it’s a permanent tip somehow.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Steve
You may not have to replace the whole hose...If the male fitting on the hose has to be changed, to fit the female, bring the hose you have already to a propane dealer they should have the tools to cut the old fitting off and attach the new fitting with a crimp clamp...
Thanks Tommy. I’ll try that.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Steve, are the connectors all the same brand/make? In other words, all from the same company?
I had trouble getting some to work awhile back. Come to find out they're not all the same. Even ones for LP. I ended up getting all my fittings from Camco. End of problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
That’s what I was thinking, but when I attempted to remove the male end on the hose, it never loosened, just spun. I’m gonna try it again and see if I can get it off unless it’s a permanent tip somehow.

Here is a picture of one of my hoses hooked up to a wave heater. The male end came with this particular hose, and yes, you are correct. It doesn't come off. If your hose is a Camco like mine, then all you need is the female Camco to screw onto the other fitting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1901.jpg (431.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Yes, the hose looks like that Lloyd. I need to check and see if I can find the brand to confirm it’s a Camco. I think I ordered it on Amazon two years ago. If that is the case I’ll buy a female Camco and see if that works.

The hose has been working on the connections for my last two trailers. I guess they could be Camco females or just lucky. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

I just ordered the Camco Quick Disconnect kit. I’m pretty sure the hose I have is a Camco. I shouldn’t need the male end but thats the only way I found it, sold together. I should get it tomorrow. If it comes early enough, I’ll slap it on and see if it works and report back.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

As noted above, there are water, air compression, gas quick connects, etc. They aren't interchangeable and can cause havoc. The male end has to be long enough to insert in and open the one way/shut off valve.

Kind of the same when inserting the male end into a standard propane tank. If not tightened down enough, no gas flow.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

I received the Camco QD kit and installed the female end to the rectangular T fitting. After hooking up the Camco hose into it, all worked!

So Lloyd, TT and all, thanks for the direction on how to solve this. When I returned the MB Sturgis female fitting to the rv store, the mechanic told me that even though they should be the same length to engage the mechanism and allow the propane to flow, the different brands can differ. Lesson learned. The DW will be happy...no more smoke in the rv!
Old 02-23-2018, 06:23 AM   #19
Site Team

Good deal!
Thanks for reporting back Steve.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #20
Gone Traveling

Love it when a plan comes together!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote