Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Propane safety

Hello all. So I have searched this and other sites regarding traveling with our refrigerators running on propane. I have done this when traveling several hour trips in hot weather and it seems most others do the same. I have read that the newer valves on the propane tanks will cut flow of propane should there be a catastrophic failure of the gas line due to a cut/break or accident. My concern would be if a fitting loosened enough from vibration or whatnot and caused a slow leak in the trailer causing KABOOM while going down the road. Haven't found any posts that takes a slow internal leak under consideration. Is this a valid concern or do I just need something else to worry about...lol? I know its personal choice to run refer while on the road as they are designed to, and will continue to do so, but curious what your thoughts are. Regards, Jim
4X4, 3.73 gears, 6.4 gas engine
xltjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

We travel with fridge in operation all the time. What could be of a bigger concern is the chance of gas vapors lingering back to the gas flame on the fridge, if you stop to top up the tow vehicle gas tank. In my case that is considered slim to a near nil possibility considering the fridge is on opposite side of the vehicle tank fill and about 25 feet back. I also have little to zero concern in a propane gas build up causing an explosion while traveling. But at the same token one should never say never, but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it...
Old 08-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

You are worrying about something that is preventable. Ensure things are tight, etc. and have fun. Don't over think it.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

That's interesting!
pandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipeFlier View Post
You are worrying about something that is preventable. Ensure things are tight, etc. and have fun. Don't over think it.

Not to mention the screaming siren that goes off if you're leaking propane into the cabin area.

Trust me, I know......

(Mine wasn't leaking just a defective sensor in the gizmo.)
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
New Camper

Propane concern

If you are concerned about a small leak while travelling, why not leave a couple of windows slightly opened? Would this help?
Cindyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:40 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

100% of manuals will tell you to shut off propane for travel and 98% of people including service techs travel with propane on and their fridge running.
By law the only concerns you may have are highway tunnels where there are postings for propane and at fuel stops.
Dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:14 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Not an expert here but I run with my propane on to keep the refrigerator running. As someone said if you go into a long tunnel, such as the one at Norfolk, VA you will have to stop so they can verify it is turned off. And, if my memory serves me right you can only have the small (5 gallon) size. Oops, and I've changed mine to the 7 1/2 gallon size.
BillBolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #9
Site Team

I run the twin 30 lbs. and they inspected at the VA tunnel bridge. No problem have the 30 lbs tanks.

As far as turning off the lp, I wonder how the lp powered cars, trucks, fork lifts have no problems running on lp.

From an article on propane safety.

Quote:
There is a black thermal-sensitive bushing found just behind the green nut. If this bushing is ever in a fire with temperatures between 240°F and 300°F, it melts and allows the brass nipple inside the nut to move back about Ľ inch, which closes a small piston inside the cylinder valve totally shutting off the flow of propane. This innovative feature will help prevent fires or explosions. The second new safety feature is called a “flow-limiting-device.” Its purpose is to restrict the flow of escaping gas if there is an excessive leak in the RV propane system. This second “flow-limiting-device” feature and how it works forms the core of the secret! Almost every time the cylinder valve is opened, a small ball in the center of the brass nipple (inside the green nut) is pushed forward into a brass seat.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:26 AM   #10
Site Team

Mark, those vehicles aren't manufactured by the RV industry.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:55 AM   #11
Site Team

Running on propane - Always have Always will. But if your are not comfortable traveling with the gas on then don't do it! If it would make you feel safer then as part of your de-winterizing turn on the gas and light all the gas appliances to make sure you have gas in the lines. Shut them off then take a dish soap and water mix and spray on every fitting and look for bubbles. If you see some then tighten the fitting and use 2 wrenches - one on each side of the fitting.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:15 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

This horse has been beat to death on every RV forum I’ve been on. Do I leave my fridge on while traveling; Yes. I’ve never known of anyone that has had an issue with this or any problem. RV manufactures put the warning in because they don’t want to be sued if something did happen. Like has been said; if your not comfortable with it, then leave it off. Simple!

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

< As far as turning off the lp, I wonder how the lp powered cars, trucks, fork lifts have no problems running on lp.> IT DOES HELP that those ENGINES are INTERNAL-COMBUSTION, and NOT Open Flame (like Refrig/ Furnace/ WH)? COMBUSTIBLE Gas (LPG/ gasoline) FUMES can cause an explosion from an open flame 25-50-feet away. FURTHER, refrigerator OFF times can be extended by hours by adding a few frozen water bottles :-)
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:51 PM   #14
Site Team

Of course they're internal combustion. I was referring to the lp lines that run from the tanks to the engine and there must be some kind of regulator.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 08-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
As far as turning off the lp, I wonder how the lp powered cars, trucks, fork lifts have no problems running on lp.
Propane vehicles are a fully enclosed system and do not have an open flame to operate.
There are restrictions with propane vehicles in underground parking facilities during winter months in cold climates due to the possibility of expansion and release of gasses. Propane is dangerous in those situations because it's heavier than air and does not dissipate like natural gas etc.
Dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:14 PM   #16
Site Team

Again, I was referring to the lp lines that run from the tanks to the engine and there must be some kind of regulator.

Plus, if you note, my quote talked about the regulator and lines, not an open flame source.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:59 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBolly View Post
Not an expert here but I run with my propane on to keep the refrigerator running. As someone said if you go into a long tunnel, such as the one at Norfolk, VA you will have to stop so they can verify it is turned off. And, if my memory serves me right you can only have the small (5 gallon) size. Oops, and I've changed mine to the 7 1/2 gallon size.
Here are the CBBT, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, regulations for compressed gas:
Quote:
Maximum capacity: (a) Not more than two non-permanently mounted containers having maximum individual capacity of 105 pounds water capacity or 45 pounds LP-Gas each, or one container having maximum capacity of 60 pounds LP-Gas, or (b) not more than two permanently mounted containers having maximum total capacity of 200 gallons water capacity LP-Gas when used as a motor fuel. Tanks must meet the approved standards of the Department of Transportation and are subject to inspection at toll plaza. They must be properly secured and valves closed while crossing the facility.
I only close my valves while going through a tunnel.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote