Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2019, 08:18 AM   #1
New Camper

Propane smell

We bought a used 2007 Crossroads Cruiser in 2012. Ever since we bought it we notice a smell of propane whenever the propane tanks get low. We smell it inside the RV and we smell it outside around the hot water tank grate. Is this normal?
LouiseWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:09 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

No it is not normal. I had a gas leak and it was difficult to find but the gas gauge on the tanks kept going down. I ended up installing shutoff valves under the rig to isolate each appliance (furnace, HW heater, stove, etc.). Once I did that, I found the leak was coming from the Hot water heater. I checked and then checked some more and finally found the leak at the pressure valve where the gas line connects to the HW heater. Replaced that valve and everything is now OK. Home depot sells a hand held gas detector for about $15.00 that may help you find your leak. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
Site Team

Mix a little soap with some water- more soap than water so it sticks to the fitting- and brush it on every connection you can find one at a time. Inside the camper and under it. Then look for bubbles. They do not usually loosen but it can happen. If you find a leak use 2 wrenches one on each side of the fitting and tighten it. Then re check it with the soap.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:48 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Agree with the above. Could also be a bad regulator.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Propane smell

When you are looking at the lines remember that if the line is rubbing on ANYTHING that it will eventually get a leak there. I've seen leaks on gasoline lines that look like a pencil line but when you turn the vehicle on and the pump engages... ...watch out.

All that to say that if something looks funny on the line check it with soapy water. if you have bubbles you've probably found it.
mdbeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to Woody Send a message via MSN to Woody Send a message via Yahoo to Woody
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiseWhite View Post
We bought a used 2007 Crossroads Cruiser in 2012. Ever since we bought it we notice a smell of propane whenever the propane tanks get low. We smell it inside the RV and we smell it outside around the hot water tank grate. Is this normal?
If you only smell the odor when tanks are almost
out my experience with propane is that over time
the rotten egg type smell that they add to the
propane does not burn as fast as the gas and it
settles to the bottom of tank and therefore you get
a strong smell when tank is almost empty, when
refilled it will go away if this is the case, anyway
always check for leaks to be sure.

2006 Cruiser CF29RE (sold)

1996 F350 PSD Dully (sold)

Honda 2000i (2)
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:12 AM   #7
New Camper

Thank you so much, all!
Old 02-25-2019, 09:19 AM   #8
Site Team

Please let us know what you found and how you fixed it. It may help someone else.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

FYI
“LPG gas is basically propane and butane, and it is odorless in its natural state. The smell that you notice when there is a leak is actually of an entirely different agent, called Ethyl Mercaptan. This substance is added to the gas when it leaves the main “
If you smell the gas / agent - it’s more likely you have a leak. Leak check / soap all the joints and connections. The earlier reference to the regulator would mean - check the ovepressure relief vent opening on the gas tank regulator for escaping gas.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I agree with above, start at the tanks and work your way back across all the lines to every fitting, lines, appliances, You could even ask a plumber that has a sniffer to follow the lines back to narrow it down to find the culprit. a small leak, crack, or cutoff valve maybe leaking or not completely shutting off, but somewhere you have a very slow tiny leak. Sometimes after you apply a soap solution, go back and recheck back after 5 minutes as that leak might look like a small white foam build up rather than a bubble. Dedication and persistence will uncover it's hiding spot.. pay close attention to water heater, stove, oven and the fridge, that's where a sniffer might lead you to the culprit area quicker, imo.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

soapy water is your friend. Use it at every connection until you find the leak. I would start with the outside stuff that is easy to get to first but you could have multiple leaks if a lot of mileage has caused vibration to loosen up fittings.
Pinesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

We just had the smell of propane appear inside the tank compartments on each side of the RV where the tanks were located. I replaced the regulator and tha smell went away. $40 on Amazon.
NEVER2LATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:41 AM   #13
New Camper

Propane smell

Thank you so much for the replies! I asked the question when we returned from AZ in the spring. It is the first thing we will look into when we return next month. Thanks again for all the replies!
Old 10-16-2019, 06:48 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVER2LATE View Post
We just had the smell of propane appear inside the tank compartments on each side of the RV where the tanks were located. I replaced the regulator and tha smell went away. $40 on Amazon.

Unrelated but same thing I had to do for my BBQ.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote