Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Protruding Staple Under Roof Membrane (HELP)

I was cleaning off my roof today and noticed what appears to be a staple working it's way up through the roof but hasn't yet came all the through the roof membrane. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I was thinking about placing a piece of rubber on top it and tapping it back then taking some self leveling caulk and cover that area? If anybody has any other suggestions I'm all ears. The camper is still under warranty but taking it to the dealer really isn't an option as it is permanently parked...
Old 11-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Just a thought. You could pound it down as you mention, but could use Eternabond tape. Many swear by it, and it is for that type surface, but it will probably work itself out again. Might be just as easy to make a 1 inch cut, remove the staple, put in a woodscrew or 2 of equal length, then use that tape to seal your tiny cut. I have a couple staples coming noticeable, this is the route I plan on going.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I too was concerned about it resurfacing also but I just didn't really want to cut into my roof being that it's not even a year old yet, but that does sound like a better long term fix... Thanks
Old 11-11-2018, 06:59 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Whoops, i see UNDER WARRANTY. Get them fixing that. Right now...
Old 11-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

They should make a service call I would think? There only about an hour away.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:14 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

The same thing happened to mine only it was several staples coming up. I to it to the dealerwhere I bought it but got the run around and the wanted a small fortune to remove and replace the entire roof. Since mine were along the edge, I removed the molding and peeled the roof membrane back, pounded the loose staples flat or pulled them out then put a screw at each staple all the way down the lenght ofthe roof. I placed the screw head over the staples so they would not come back. Then layed the roof membrane back dowm with glue and sealed and caulked everything up. No problems for about 4 years now.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Was yours under warranty? I emailed my dealer and of course I haven't heard back yet, I will give them the benefit of the doubt due to Veterans Day but if I don't hear from them by early afternoon tomorrow they will be getting a phone call. I have a feeling that I will be making the repair myself. But if the dealer gives me the run around I will do my best to contact Crossroads personally...
Old 11-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #8
Site Team

It might be a good idea to contact CR anyway. Plus document all your correspondence, email and telephone. Also take pictures to go along with your emails.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Will do Lloyd, Thanks for the advice...
Old 11-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I thought it was because the roof warranty was longer than the regular warranty. I think it was 5 years on the roof but when I brought it back to Camping World they told me the rubber membrane was still under warranty but it did not cover the staples coming through. I also had an extended warranty but they said that only cover electronics and some other things but still not the staple situation. So much for warranties.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Well that figures. I just purchased this in May. Glad I went up there this last weekend to clean off the leaves and spotted it because it's on the verge of poking through and I would've had a real mess come Spring.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Redfish,, How long are the staples that were popping up, I believe you mentioned you pulled one. Another question, is what adhesive did you use to relay the membrane, and what caulking is recommended to replace and seal the top mold around the edge of the membrane. I got some popping to, and like the method of peeling it back, fixing the staples, and putting it back like it was. I have about a 6 foot area that shows the issue.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:22 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

It’s been a few years since I did that and my memory is not as good as it used to be but I think they were about 1/2” to 3/4”. Don’t hold me to that. Again, I don’t remember the glue I used to relay the rubber but I do remember I used butyl tape under the molding that holds the edge of the rubber down than after it was in place I used Dicor lap sealant to finish things off after putting the molding back on. The hardest part ofthe whole thing was cleaning off the old butyl tape. I used a plastic putty knife and xylol (I think you could also use xylene) to soften the old butyl. You will also need plenty of paper towels or rags. Cleaning the surfaces before putting it back together is probably the most important step. I also used the Dicor lap sealant to reseal some of the vents on the roof while I was at it. Again, clean the area thoroughly first. Hope this helps, Bill
Old 11-23-2018, 07:56 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

I'd put a 2 x 6 on edge on top of it and tap it down . Since the r.v. is stationary, it won't experience the roof movement that is normally encountered going down the road. Keep an eye on it, and if it sneaks back up, then do the repair suggested.
87_Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Ya I'm running up there today to see what I can do with it. I made a 2x2 with a piece of rubber on one end so I'm going to try that. I also have some Dicor self leveling caulk and some eterabond tape just in case. My dealer said they would make the repair but only in there shop but for just 1 staple it would really be a pain moving my camper cause of my deck and I have my sewers hard plumbed in and my electric hard wired in also, so it would take me 2 days just to get it ready to move not counting the stuff on the inside plus driving 90 minutes one way. I'll take my chances....
Old 11-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonderoo View Post
I was cleaning off my roof today and noticed what appears to be a staple working it's way up through the roof but hasn't yet came all the through the roof membrane. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I was thinking about placing a piece of rubber on top it and tapping it back then taking some self leveling caulk and cover that area? If anybody has any other suggestions I'm all ears. The camper is still under warranty but taking it to the dealer really isn't an option as it is permanently parked...
Our Sunset Trail is a 2013 and I found three staples poking up along the roof line over our entry door. They were all under the roof membrane and I didn’t want to tear a hole in the roof by trying to pound them back in place. I put eternabond tape over the problem spots and will keep an eye on the staples. If they eventually come through, I’ll remove them. The tape has been on for 6 months now. 🤞
Buffy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

I just have one luckily so I tried tapping it down with a 2x2 with a piece of rubber on the one end but it didn't budge so for now I just put about a 50cent size dab of Dicor self leveling caulk, it covered it rather well. I'll keep an eye on it as I do have some eternabond tape as well.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:51 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonderoo View Post
I just have one luckily so I tried tapping it down with a 2x2 with a piece of rubber on the one end but it didn't budge so for now I just put about a 50cent size dab of Dicor self leveling caulk, it covered it rather well. I'll keep an eye on it as I do have some eternabond tape as well.
I’ve never used Dicor but will look into getting some. It seems like this would take care of the staple issue without having to do anything drastic. Besides the staple problem, we had a leak around a roof vent that needed attention. Water would run, not drip, down the wall inside when it rained. Eternabond took care of this and was easy to use. Might be a good idea to keep both on hand.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:41 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

What is the adhesive you used to glue the epdm back down? What / how / cleaner did you use to remove the old adhesive?
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
What is the adhesive you used to glue the epdm back down? What / how / cleaner did you use to remove the old adhesive?
I did not cut into the roof as the staples were raised but hadn’t broken through. I put Eternabond tape over the staples after I cleaned the roof and so far, this is working.