Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #1
New Camper

Exclamation Put my mind at ease

The wife and I are going to be going full time in June. We are first time Rv'ers. The kids are flying the coop, so we are looking for a change. I know that with any brand you will run into issues, I have seen it on other forums as well as this one....all the complaints. I know there is no fix all for this situation. My concern is dropping a large amount of cash on a full time RV with our one vehicle, and ending up with something we cannot use at all. I have seen a large amount of quality issue posts on this forum, and would like to hear from actual owners their honest opinions. We are supposed to take delivery of a 2015 Rushmore Franklin next week. With all the quality issues I have seen on here, I am having reservations about taking delivery. It looks like a lot of the quality issues are happening after the initial PDI? I still work a full time job in my area, and cannot afford for my wife and I to be out all that money, with no home to go back to, and an RV that needs to sit somewhere for weeks to get repaired. Any advice or comments for us? Thanks.

Mark

2009 Ford F-350 DRW, 6.4L Turbo Diesel
2015 Rushmore Franklin
Mark and Misti
TxPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:37 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I can tell you the problem is definitely industry-wide. We were just discussing that fact in the northeast crossroads rally thread. Many of us have been on these forums for years and have moved on from crossroads not due to lack of quality but due to own personal needs. My crossroads zinger had way less issues than my palomino sabre has. The key is to find a good dealership and a manufacturer that stands behind their product. From what I have experienced and seen, crossroads does a pretty good job of this. Being that you are going full-time, I would ask if the dealership you are purchasing from is part of a network (ie rv warranty forever, route 66 or camping world). These will often treat you as if you bought from them instead of the back of the line game many dealerships like to play with someone who didn't buy local. That said, if you explain you fulltime and this is your residence, a dealership may work harder to get it back to you. I would expect any rv to potentially go into the shop for repairs. As such, I would save some money for a hotel or rental rv just in case. One more thing, remember that you will always see more complaints than positive posts as the happy don't tend to post but the unhappy will come here to vent or get advice. Congrats on the Rushmore and may it bring you many happy camping memories.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Mark,
Read Larry Day's thread about his Grandaughter and "all of our complaints" suddenly has much less meaning. Enjoy your new camper
Old 01-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
New Camper

Mark,

Celesta and I have been using our camper(s) for 10 years. We are not full timers but we have stayed in our previous camper for 14 months while relocating and looking for a new house. First - a camper is like your house and truck. Maintenance and repairs are required. We have taken several long trips including a trip from St Louis area to Seattle area and stopping at places in between. Each stop will require some maintenance. Checking tires (and replacing), batteries, lights, etc. My recommendation is when yhou need to replace a small item, stock up as you may need to do it again. Check what type of screws (inside and outside) the camper has and make sure you have the right bits. Traveling with a camper is great - enjoy.

John
Chief2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I believe that you will see many more complaints on the internet than you will ever see comments about how good or how few issues folks have. It is just the nature of the beast (humans).

I am on my 2nd Cruiser and I know of 6 other ones that have had very few issues. My brother had some issues with a 2012 model, mainly the Schwinteck (sp) slide and he is a perfectionist to boot.

I also believe if the complaints were present on most units, the camper business would be done! No one would put up with those issues on every unit.

Just realize that there may be some minor things go wrong and don't be afraid to ride the dealer non stop unitl they are fixed.

Also, don't be rushed during delivery, take your time and look at everything.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote