Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question about the oven

Was camping this past weekend and used the oven in our TT for the first time (for us). Since we bought is used I have noi idea if the original owners ever used it or not. So I lit the pilot and turned it up to 400 degrees, to make some baked potatoes to go with the steak You know that smell that come from the first use of a new appliance like an oven? Well I got that smell, so I'm pretty sure it had never been used before! Anyway, I put in the potatoes and, not wanting to set the trailer on fire, kept a close watch on it. The only issue I had was the metal frame right next to the wood (or plastic) where the unit slides in at install got pretty hot. Certainly too hot to touch and hold it. Also, I ran the range vent hood as a lot of heat was coming through the vents at the back of the range top.But I watched it closely and after an hour at 400 degrees, the potatoes were perfect and the trailer did not catch fire !

What has been your experience using your ovens? Does my experience sound normal to you? I just would like to know if getting that hot at the edges is normal or not.

Thanks!
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:59 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Get a pizza stone for even heating. Place it on the bottom shelf.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:47 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
I've heard that too. The pizza stone does not even have to be in one piece, an old broken one also works.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I bake a lot at home and the stone I use for my bread adds about 30 min to the preheat time because of the bulk of the stone. I don't mind it with my home oven and it makes truly amazing bread, but I don't think I'd want to add the extra time if I were running off LP. Plus the RV ovens are so small that I'd hate to take up any more room. It's an interesting idea though.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
I bake a lot at home and the stone I use for my bread adds about 30 min to the preheat time because of the bulk of the stone. I don't mind it with my home oven and it makes truly amazing bread, but I don't think I'd want to add the extra time if I were running off LP. Plus the RV ovens are so small that I'd hate to take up any more room. It's an interesting idea though.
You don't place the stone on the oven rack, you put it directly on the solid metal shelf which has the flame underneath. The oven rack is a few inches above this.

I don't know if it takes longer to heat because I have not tried it.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
You don't place the stone on the oven rack, you put it directly on the solid metal shelf which has the flame underneath. The oven rack is a few inches above this.

I don't know if it takes longer to heat because I have not tried it.
Ah. That makes more sense. Cool.

As for the timing though, it will definitely affect the preheat time, because it's a big cold heat sink and the oven can't maintain it's temperature until the stone's temp equilibrates. The good news though is once that big stone gets hot, the oven won't have to work as hard to maintain that temperature.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
A piece of porcelain floor tile in an appropriate size works too and is cheaper.
stormseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I like that idea, thanks!

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Your observations and cautions about the oven are the same as ours. A 12x12 porcelain tile cost about $3 @ Lowe's. Great for pizzas, and I once cooked a turkey breast roast in the thing! ��
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:42 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Don't forget the Ebay grill mat to catch spills on the tile....and, of course to use on the grill outside.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I like the tile idea too.

I have a tile beside the stove in the trailer (as well as at home). This is to move hot pots and pans onto from the stove. I get those little silicone things you put on the inside of your cabinet doors in the house to keep from banging wood on wood, they are peel and stick. I stick those on the bottom of the tiles on the counter to the tile does not scratch the counter.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:11 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thanks all! I will definitely try the porcelain tile approach��

However I'd like to discuss the other part of my OP, regarding how hot the exterior parts of your ovens get, specifically the ones that are next to or touching flammable parts of your trailer. Since I have never had a trailer with an oven before, I'm trying to see if what I observed is 1) OK, and 2) Typical for these devices

Thanks!
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:50 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

My oven gets fairly hot but not to where I am concerned about ignition of surrounding materials. I don't think the ovens are any better insulated than the rest of the rig, certainly not as well as a residential oven. Yours could conceivably have some missing or collapsed insulation, of course.

You could get an inexpensive Harbor Freight laser thermometer to see how hot the exterior actually gets and then check the combustion temps of the surrounding materials. The thermometer is also useful for checking wheel bearings when you stop as well so its a worthwhile purchase anyway.

I think it is probably fine but you should check it out for peace of mind as well as safety. Maybe someone else has a better idea?