Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2018, 08:10 PM   #21
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat rat View Post
IMHO a spare should be required and a good one not one that's old and decrepit. Also in place of a jack you might think about something like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trailer-Aid...53.m1438.l2649
I thought those were the bomb to replace the need for a jack. Purchased one and tried to use it at home when I was doing some maintenance. Turns out my suspension actuates too much and the front tire never came off the ground. <shrug> Bottle jack it is.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #22
Site Team

Bought this bottle jack for the rv. At home, it works on compressed air, on the road, just pump it up with the handle. 10" to 20" lift. Use 6x6's if not high enough. Around $70
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46198_2000x2000.jpg (197.2 KB, 7 views)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:25 PM   #23
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbaZabba View Post
I thought those were the bomb to replace the need for a jack. Purchased one and tried to use it at home when I was doing some maintenance. Turns out my suspension actuates too much and the front tire never came off the ground. <shrug> Bottle jack it is.
A bottlejack might not fit under the axle when the tire is flat, That is why a floor jack is the best, plus I also position the floor jack to lift on the U-bolts. Best case scenario is always do a practice run in the driveway, But what works well for one person and trailer might not work for the other's situation.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #24
Site Team

The bottle jack will always fit under the frame of the Rv. Floor jack handle will be have limited motion plus you now have to position the jack under the rv and the inside of the tires. Don't like jacking up the rv by the U bolts.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:09 PM   #25
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
The bottle jack will always fit under the frame of the Rv. Floor jack handle will be have limited motion plus you now have to position the jack under the rv and the inside of the tires. Don't like jacking up the rv by the U bolts.

Yep. Agree across the board. And add that floor jack moves as it lifts, not so easy in mud, dirt, rough rocky surfaces.

I think many manufactures also say don't jack up tire on axle.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:29 AM   #26
Full Time Camper

Do not trust road side assistance. Last Week we were coming home from a week out, o I 59 Some where after a rest area stop I must have run ove some thing the tie shreaded did not realize it tps did not go off. Some passed and pointed out the trailer. Pulled over yes the Front drivers side was gone rim ruined no other damage. I started to change it but Janet said we have had Good Sams roadside assistance for years. I will call them. called the phone rand and rang after 5 minutes it went into aa holding pattern, finally a agent came on the line. She said they were having a high volume of traffic asked a lot of questions, and said they would call us back in 15 to 20 minutes. After an hour we called back, mind you sitting on a busy interstate in hot weather. This agent took our info once more and asked if we would hold for a few minutes. She came back on and said that the original call had been transferred to another agent, and that agent went home. She would handle the call her self. She would call us back in 15 minutes now 2 hours sitting there. She did keep her word and she called back saying that she was still working on it. Nuts. Our new unit has a leveling system in it, I put blocks under the pads and ran them down. Lifted the unit really well used my battery operated impact wrench change the tire putting this on was a chore with back problems and as heave as it was I struggle to put it on, but got the job done. Now for those that do not travel with a jack and you have aa 2500 or 3500 truck those jacks in those truck will lift your trailer fine. Go back in the truck the young lady call back an told us that her help was 4 to 6 hours before it could get there. Seem strange as we were just 35 miles from Hattiesburg ms. If we had to wait on them we would have been there 6 to 8 hours total and the tire would have been changed in the dark.
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #27
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Do not trust road side assistance. Last Week we were coming home from a week out, o I 59 Some where after a rest area stop I must have run ove some thing the tie shreaded did not realize it tps did not go off. Some passed and pointed out the trailer. Pulled over yes the Front drivers side was gone rim ruined no other damage. I started to change it but Janet said we have had Good Sams roadside assistance for years. I will call them. called the phone rand and rang after 5 minutes it went into aa holding pattern, finally a agent came on the line. She said they were having a high volume of traffic asked a lot of questions, and said they would call us back in 15 to 20 minutes. After an hour we called back, mind you sitting on a busy interstate in hot weather. This agent took our info once more and asked if we would hold for a few minutes. She came back on and said that the original call had been transferred to another agent, and that agent went home. She would handle the call her self. She would call us back in 15 minutes now 2 hours sitting there. She did keep her word and she called back saying that she was still working on it. Nuts. Our new unit has a leveling system in it, I put blocks under the pads and ran them down. Lifted the unit really well used my battery operated impact wrench change the tire putting this on was a chore with back problems and as heave as it was I struggle to put it on, but got the job done. Now for those that do not travel with a jack and you have aa 2500 or 3500 truck those jacks in those truck will lift your trailer fine. Go back in the truck the young lady call back an told us that her help was 4 to 6 hours before it could get there. Seem strange as we were just 35 miles from Hattiesburg ms. If we had to wait on them we would have been there 6 to 8 hours total and the tire would have been changed in the dark.

Contact M Lemonis CEO of GS. He has been responsive in the past.
Marcus Lemonis

250 Parkway Drive
Lincolnshire, Illinois 60069

United States

Phone: 847-808-3000
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #28
Site Team

Frank, did it do any damage to the under side of your trailer?
Your experience confirms what I have always felt, AAA isn't setup or qualified to take care of RVs.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #29
Weekend Camper

Definitely keep the spare handy. I watched a guy at tire discounters once drop my camper and break his jack over loading it. I’ve found some basic 2x6 blocks stacked up make an easy ramp for the tire not affected (assuming dual axle) which will lift the other off the ground enough to change it. Most likely you will use these 2x6 with your leveling jacks too so they aren’t necessarily extras you have to remember to take. It is about a 10 minute job.

2010 Zinger 31SB
tabrown2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:56 AM   #30
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Frank, did it do any damage to the under side of your trailer?
Your experience confirms what I have always felt, AAA isn't setup or qualified to take care of RVs.
No damage underneath Lloyd just a ruined rim Bought the new tires from Simple tire found them the cheapest around arrived with in three days Unit is ready to go Hope to go for Thanksgiving for 5 days than the 13th of December till the 19th. Christmas is going to be strange this year we will have no kids or grands for the first time ever
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #31
Full Time Camper

Hug the dogs!

Currently camped at Catalina State Park near Tucson. As the song goes, "sunny and 75".

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #32
Weekend Camper

I have AAA but don’t usually call them for a flat because I don’t want to wait. I carry a 4 way lug wrench and made my own trailer aid by stacking 4 2x6s together and then cutting them at an angle so I can drive the good tire up on it an change the bad tire. (I am new to this forum but I can try to put pictures and dimensions of what I made if you need me to if I can figure out how to do it.) Remember to loosen the lug nuts slightly on the bad tire before lifting it off the ground. The trailer aid product didn’t lift the rv quite high enough. If you get AAA be sure to get the one that covers the rv too. They don’t cover all areas of the US but my agent told me if I am in an area they don’t cover to call someone to fix the problem and saveall the receipts and theywill reimburse you. You might have to call AAA to get an authorization before havingsomeone do the repair.