Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Rebuilding slideout

Hi all,
Well...it appears we didn't look over our new to us Cruiser well enough and now have a 28k unit that needs major work.

While I was giving the unit a thorough detailing once it was home I noticed the entertainment slide roof is very uneven and the sides are soft.

I cant believe this slipped by us as I was on the roof, under the unit, functioned all slides and appliances. on and on and on...

I have since ran 4" roof tape along the top flange with all the screws in it (on all slides) since I believe this to be the culprit.

Has anyone experienced a slide rebuild? I am not afraid to tackle things and can envision pulling the slide out for the winter and rebuilding it in my garage but would like to hear from anyone who has gone through this before or even had a dealer do the repair.

What really makes me crazy is that I flat out asked the guy if there was any water damage and I trusted him..I know...buyer beware..

Cheers all..
Old 06-30-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Do you have any evidence of water damage? Exterior or interior? Pics would help. You may be over-reacting. The framing is aluminum tubing, so it won't be a problem. The sides will have a lot of flex, they are plastic not fiberglas, Adzel I believe, and are not as rigid as fiberglas. Also, there is no wood behind the side walls. However the exterior face wall is fiberglas with lauan plywood laminated to it just like the rest of the camper. So, the roof of the slide out is the only other place that plywood is used and it is pretty thin. But for it to have significant water damage, there should also be water stains on the ceiling. So, you may just have a cosmetic problem.

If the slide out is structurally ok and no evidence of water damage, you might simply add a slide out topper rather than rebuild the slide out as the topper will provide more protection from water intrusion.

Finally, the previous owner may never have looked at the slide out roof to know there was a potential issue.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree with Larry. My slides are very flexible and certainly not flat at well.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

This makes me rest easier for sure and I appreciate the heck out of that. I will take a few pictures and let you fellas see what I have.
Cheers