Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Refridgerator going bad???

In preparing for our last outing, I noticed that the refrigerator was not cooling down as usual. Finally, it seemed to be getting better, but I had it cranked all the way to the highest setting. I thought maybe I had filled it too full, but honestly, no more than I'd done in the past.

I scheduled an appointment at the dealer ( since we bought the extended warranty) to have them check it out. I was wondering if any of you have had a refrigerator "slowly die" like this? I always figured they either worked or they didn't; not this kinda-sorta mood it seems to be in. The freezer is still working great, by the way, it's just the fridge...
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

How hot is it there? Is it in a slide with vents only on the side and not on the roof? Is it parked with fridge side in the sun? If so add a computer fan inside the outside opening to blow air up and help cooling. You can tie into the 12 v on the back and install a fuse and switch. Or get a small house fan and aim it at the vent opening to move air. Could be the problem.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

As Harley said, add a computer 12Volt fan. I've added a second fan to west side fridge. My fridge is located in the slide. I've ducted the top of the rear of the fridge to get the hot air out.0729180732.jpg0709170723.jpg
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

If it is a four door fridge check the flipper seal on the fridge doors to make sure it is sealing against the other door completely
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks to all for your replies!

"If it is a four door fridge check the flipper seal on the fridge doors to make sure it is sealing against the other door completely"
- It's a single door and I have verified the seal is good when closed.

How hot is it there? Is it in a slide with vents only on the side and not on the roof? Is it parked with fridge side in the sun? If so add a computer fan inside the outside opening to blow air up and help cooling. You can tie into the 12 v on the back and install a fuse and switch. Or get a small house fan and aim it at the vent opening to move air. Could be the problem.
- Was 90-100 degrees on the drive up to Mammoth. Upper 70's to mid 80's during our stay. It's not in a slide, and I think the only vent is on the side, not in the roof, but I need to double check that. I intend to install the computer fan and see if that helps!
Old 08-23-2019, 12:14 PM   #6
Site Team

There should be a vent in the roof for the hot air to escape. You might want to pull that hood off to check and see if any insulation has fallen down and blocked the air flow.
You might be able to see up from the bottom with a light and a mirror. Try that first.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:01 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Remember, the fridge must be within 2 degrees of level for it to cool correctly.
NEVER2LATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:05 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Also view You Tube videos from “Fords RV refrigeration” or “My RV Works” for some great informative videos that might apply to your problem.
NEVER2LATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

fridge

Mine has to be perfectly level or it doesn't cool ,,when its level it works perfect !
Mike W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

How long were you waiting for it to cool down? They can take hours upon hours. We turn ours on the night before we're heading out on a trip.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:56 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Problem Solved (?)

I took the trailer in to the dealer about 10 days ago to see what's going on with the refrigerator. According to them, it was working fine on electric but not on gas. They determined I had a propane leak, and a bad regulator. They replaced the regulator and retested the system and said all is good now. I picked it up today and will be going out on 10/11-13, so we'll see how it goes.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:03 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I'd be turning it on as soon as I got home with it , with a thermometer in it and keep an eye on it's temp, first with gas for a 24hr day, then next day switch over to electric.