Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Refrigerator and propane

I am temporarily without electricity so I replaced my propane tanks and turned on gas stove for a few minutes make sure no air in lines. My refrigerator was working fine on electricity but I can not get it to turn on with propane. This past winter it ran fine on propane but it was running on electricty when I switched the mode. Question: Does my refrigerator need to be turned on with electricity first then switch mode to propane? I think I probably answered my own question but if anyone would humor me. Thanks
cdessy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

The frig also needs 12v to operate, either from the battery or converter. Since the 120v is off the converter won't be working and the battery could be dead if it hasn't been charged by the converter.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Oils also be some air still in the line. When I light mine first time on propane I do as you did, I light the stove and let them run until my fridge lights. I’ve had to turn off and back on a couple of times to get it to light the first time of the year. After that unless you run out of propane it should light with no problem. Do you have lights working on 12v. Like said, you also need 12v to light on propane. Let us know.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #4
Site Team

When we turn on the gas for the first time we also light the stove but it may take 5 or 6 tries before the refrigerator lights. If you listen by the vent door you should hear the igniter clicking tiring to light. As stated you need 12 volts either from battery or converter to light.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:05 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

My fridge also has a gas shut off valve on the back of the unit. If you have not used it on gas, that valve may be cut off
Pinesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:52 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Refrigerator propane

Thanks for your replys your all right I forgot about the battery.
cdessy99 is offline   Reply With Quote