Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
New Camper

Refrigerator smells hot outside

fired up the fridge on electric (first time running it ) on new 2013 ST reserve 31ss, when outside by the panels it smells like something is hot.
is this normal for first time operation?
never had a new unit before, so i wouldn't know, but i am leery...
freezer is cooling nicely, fridge slowly.
I removed the top vent and looked inside to find a piece of romex wire was touching the tube that goes up to the top, the tube is hot, that may have been a portion of the smell, but it hasn't gone away yet.
just figured I'd ask in case this is a red flag that i'm not aware of.

thank you in advance for your replies.

Troy Novak
4Novaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
New Camper

It sounds like it is the heater element for the fridge you are smelling. This should go away over time since it is the new burning off. This is common for these gas absorption units.
Ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:46 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Novaks View Post
fired up the fridge on electric (first time running it ) on new 2013 ST reserve 31ss, when outside by the panels it smells like something is hot.
is this normal for first time operation?
never had a new unit before, so i wouldn't know, but i am leery...
freezer is cooling nicely, fridge slowly.
I removed the top vent and looked inside to find a piece of romex wire was touching the tube that goes up to the top, the tube is hot, that may have been a portion of the smell, but it hasn't gone away yet.
just figured I'd ask in case this is a red flag that i'm not aware of.

thank you in advance for your replies.

Troy Novak

Troy, if your unit is like mine and a few others I know of, there isn't any insulation inside that compartment your fridge is sitting in. There for the side walls are going to get very warm. Which will heat that paneling up and cause the smell you are talking about.
To check it out, put your hand on the paneling that is around the fridge inside the trailer.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

The amount of heat generated should be the same regardless of running on gas or 110 V. They are just the heat source used to make the absorption fluid heat up and circulate. Great that you checked the upper vent, at least it is open for proper ventilation. The fluid used is ammonia based, so if that is the smell, then there is a problem. And heat should be minimal, I seem to recall that the electric heating element is around 120 watts, so if the heat seems more than a 100 watt light bulb, then again you are right to be concerned.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
New Camper

thanks everyone for the replies, it seems to have gone away, just like a new dad i tend to wonder about things i haven't experienced before, lol. i'm not used to these new campers. temp in the fridge is now good also. i'll keep my eye on it but i'm not worried anymore, whew!
4Novaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

factory coats parts with a light lubricant as a corrosion preventative when new. Needs to burn off then smell goes away.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:00 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

If you haven't fired up your furnace yet I recommend you pull your smoke detector, open your windows and let it run awhile.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote