Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Angry Refrigerator Troubles have me Hot!

I am extremely angry, frustrated and disappointed with the designers/engineers of my 2016 322RL Crossroads Cruiser 5th wheel.

The unit came with a full sized Samsung 110 vac residential refrigerator. In the 2 ½ years we have had it, it has been used approximately 9 months.Several weeks ago, the temperature in the chilled compartment was running in the low to mid 50’s, instead of the normal 38° F.The freezer maintained its -2°.Calling Samsung revealed that there is insufficient space around the fridge for it to breath properly.

Instead of the prescribed 1” on both sides and 2” on the back and top, there was ¾” on one side, none on the other, the back was tight against the wall and about 1 ½” on top. Bottom line, the condenser has failed.This is going to cost me an expensive repair with the fridge still in an improper setting; a new 110 vac fridge; or the installation of a typical 12 vdc/110 vac/propane fridge.At this point I prefer going with the 12 vdc/110 vac/propane fridge. My local facility will not take on the responsibility of making the modification.

I am still looking at my options and have not decided what to do. Has anyone else experienced this problem?Also, a strong word of warning and caution to everyone with this sort of installation.Make sure there is adequate space around the fridge so it can perform properly.Since they seem to build the trailer around the fridge, finding that room will not be easy.

Any advice/assistance will be appreciated

Mark E. Young, Jr.
2016 322RL Cruiser
2016 RAM 4 Door Long Bed
6.7 Diesel – Allison Tranny
myoungcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Curious what model Samsung fridge you have? How did the condenser fail? I installed a Samsung RF18 in our Rushmore. It has two evaporators.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:03 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

If that's the only problem you've had with your crossroads, you're a lucky man.

You did come to the right place for help.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:57 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Very odd it came with a Samsung as they usually buy from Norcold. Samsung residential will definitely need clearances around the Fridge to reject / unload its heat.
Norcold is a zero clearance fit ( and they are a very difficult company to deal with if you have Issues).
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Very odd it came with a Samsung as they usually buy from Norcold. Samsung residential will definitely need clearances around the Fridge to reject / unload its heat.

Norcold is a zero clearance fit ( and they are a very difficult company to deal with if you have Issues).

Lots of the new RVS come with counter depth residential fridges. Most come with a pure sine wave inverter. Norcold is a POS in my opinion. The Samsung definitely needs space, especially back and top for air circulation.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
Old 11-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I do not have the actual Samsung model number in front of me, but it is an 18 cu ft unit, French doors on top and pull out freezer on the bottom. It says it has a Dual Cool system (or some such thing) on a panel on the interior of the fridge. As stated, the freezer is working fine - for now. It had a brief spell where the ice cream was very soft.

IMG_20181105_152932931 resized.jpg

As far as why it failed, Samsung Tech Support says the unit will work fine with no air circulation for a while, but then the condenser (or evaporator, whichever) will fail. Apparently if you catch it quick enough and get some air to the unit, it MIGHT recover. I pulled mine out and ran it for a week or two, but no signs of recovering were apparent. The temp would fluxuate between 46 and 54 degrees almost hourly.

I am not blaming Samsung, but the way it was installed by Crossroads.

By no means is this the first problem I have had. Many water fitting leaks. I now carry a supply of brass fittings, extra tubing and tools with me.

At the 1 year annual check, all of the brakes and bearings were shot, calling for replacement of all of them.

The trailer was purchased at Camping World. I don't think I will ever go back to them for anything. Following the brake change and after I got out on the road I discovered I had no brakes on the trailer. Come to find out (by me) the brake shoes had never been adjusted up to the drum.

Brakes worked fine until recently. The annunciator panel in my Ram tells me to check the trailer brake wiring and that the brake controller has disconnected the brakes. The Ram service people say the controller is working properly and power is being supplied to the pigtail connector on the truck. If I pull the emergency switch, the brakes lock right up. Go figure. I cannot find any obvious breaks in the wiring, so it must be something hidden in the body of the trailer.

I could go on with other examples, but that would be beating a dead horse.

We like the layout and features of the trailer, but I don't think another Crossroads product is in our future. Too many problems.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoungcc View Post
I do not have the actual Samsung model number in front of me, but it is an 18 cu ft unit, French doors on top and pull out freezer on the bottom. It says it has a Dual Cool system (or some such thing) on a panel on the interior of the fridge. As stated, the freezer is working fine - for now. It had a brief spell where the ice cream was very soft.

Attachment 3610

As far as why it failed, Samsung Tech Support says the unit will work fine with no air circulation for a while, but then the condenser (or evaporator, whichever) will fail. Apparently if you catch it quick enough and get some air to the unit, it MIGHT recover. I pulled mine out and ran it for a week or two, but no signs of recovering were apparent. The temp would fluxuate between 46 and 54 degrees almost hourly.

I am not blaming Samsung, but the way it was installed by Crossroads.

By no means is this the first problem I have had. Many water fitting leaks. I now carry a supply of brass fittings, extra tubing and tools with me.

At the 1 year annual check, all of the brakes and bearings were shot, calling for replacement of all of them.

The trailer was purchased at Camping World. I don't think I will ever go back to them for anything. Following the brake change and after I got out on the road I discovered I had no brakes on the trailer. Come to find out (by me) the brake shoes had never been adjusted up to the drum.

Brakes worked fine until recently. The annunciator panel in my Ram tells me to check the trailer brake wiring and that the brake controller has disconnected the brakes. The Ram service people say the controller is working properly and power is being supplied to the pigtail connector on the truck. If I pull the emergency switch, the brakes lock right up. Go figure. I cannot find any obvious breaks in the wiring, so it must be something hidden in the body of the trailer.

I could go on with other examples, but that would be beating a dead horse.

We like the layout and features of the trailer, but I don't think another Crossroads product is in our future. Too many problems.

Looks like the RF18. Dual cooling is two evaporators. Either the fridge evaporator coil is not cooling, or it’s not transferring the heat out of the fridge across the coils. Perhaps just a defrost timer out, allowing coils to freeze up. I just can’t see it being a condenser issue. That’s typical RV quality with the installation though.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
Old 11-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

2slick

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is a RF18. It could very easily be the evaporator. I tend to get the two confused.

I talked to a local appliance repair shop yesterday and he says it could be several things, many of them relatively minor. Whenever I am ready he will come out and check it out. (I am currently immobilized with a torn tendon in my ankle/foot).

Mark Young
Old 11-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Test post. I've been playing with a signature block.

Hmmm, the photograph did not show up, though I have one uploaded.
Any ideas/suggestions?

Mark and Barbara Young
2016 Cruiser 322RL
2016 RAM 4 Dr Long Bed
Cummings 6.7l Diesel
Allison Tranny
Old 11-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #10
Site Team

The size of the pic may be too large. Edit the picture to a smaller pixel size.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

The picture I was using was well within the parameters (150 x 120, 27.1 kb). Tried an even smaller pic (115 x 92, 19.7 kb) with no joy. The setup shows the photo and is listed as my signature photo.

Mark and Barbara Young
2016 Cruiser 322RL
2016 RAM 4 Dr Long Bed
Cummings 6.7l Diesel
Allison Tranny