Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Site Team

refrigerators

Has anybody changed out a 6cubic ft. fridge in their unit, for an 8 cubic ft.?
If so, how did it swap out?
I didn't have sense enough at the time we ordered to get the 8.
I know they are expensive, but still cheaper then a new trailer.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Justmeasure if there is room to fit the larger unit, height, width and depth and if the new doors have room enough to swing freely. I'M just waiting for mine to quit to order another one by internet and fit it. The norcold has a temp control ajustable. the dometic no.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I am in the process of shopping for a new one but I already have the 8CF. The height is the biggest issue. If you have room to modify the cabinet at the top, that is probably the way to go. You can download the install manual at Norcold. The out side lower panel is suppose to be even with the bottom of the fridge so lowering the support shelf might be an issue.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I would go residential type.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I am in the process of shopping for a new one but I already have the 8CF. The height is the biggest issue. If you have room to modify the cabinet at the top, that is probably the way to go. You can download the install manual at Norcold. The out side lower panel is suppose to be even with the bottom of the fridge so lowering the support shelf might be an issue.

I found your post interesting. I had a salesman at a dealership trying to sway us into Jayco and said they could add the 8 ft fridge since that was one of the selling points when we got our Sunset Trail.

I bet they just cut another vent and leave the old one.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
Site Team

I went thru this fridge business a couple years ago. I was going to change it then. Found out the thermistor was the problem. Boy, that was a cheap fix.
My rig has a dead panel above the fridge. If that is removed, it's the exact measurement needed to slide the 8 ft, into. What I got to wondering about was the depth, and if the chimney would just hook back up without any modification.
When you buy these rigs, they offer either fridge, so I would think it should be a pretty easy swap.

Do you know if the Norcold has a separate temp adjust for the freezer?
Old 10-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
Site Team

Lloyd, after looking at their website it's hard to tell if there is a separate freezer thermostat. But their 10 cu' is the same size as the 8 cu'. But they cost about $500 more.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

My Norcold has a temp adjustment that does regulate the frig, but I don't know if it affects the freezer temp as I don't monitor it.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

The temp selection is for both....no separate adjustment. The colder the fridge the colder the freezer. My issue is my orig fridge won't shut off....cools down to 21 dgs in the fridge section. I know it is the board and I just don't want to spend 120.00+ on a 9 year old fridge so I am replacing the whole thing. I'd like to get that Norcold 9.5 CF but the DW insists we only need the 7.5CF and will save the 5-600.00.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
My rig has a dead panel above the fridge. If that is removed, it's the exact measurement needed to slide the 8 ft, into. What I got to wondering about was the depth, and if the chimney would just hook back up without any modification.
When you buy these rigs, they offer either fridge, so I would think it should be a pretty easy swap.
Width and depth will be the same as your 6CF. Your upper vent is on the roof, so that will not be a problem. The only issue might be with an upper baffle. If there is too much space between the coils and the back wall, a baffle is needed to force the air thru the coils. So, if there is a baffle, it will probably need to be moved higher. But I really don't think the CF29RK needed a baffle.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
The temp selection is for both....no separate adjustment. The colder the fridge the colder the freezer. My issue is my orig fridge won't shut off....cools down to 21 dgs in the fridge section. I know it is the board and I just don't want to spend 120.00+ on a 9 year old fridge so I am replacing the whole thing. I'd like to get that Norcold 9.5 CF but the DW insists we only need the 7.5CF and will save the 5-600.00.

Stan, you might just need a new thermistor.
They have specs for them, and they can check your old one to see if it's running within tolerance.
If you're lucky, you might end up with a $25 fix.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
If you get the larger frig I don't think you will regret it. This is the first time with the larger frig and we really appreciate it.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
Site Team

What does the baffle look like? I've done considerable work thru the back side and down thru the top, and I don't know that I seen anything that I recognize as a baffle.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

I have done the thermister change and it still won't stop cooling. I agree with the larger fridge would be nice comment, but the dw....well......

The baffle is simply thin boards, or metal or (?) to direct the incoming air (lower vent) up the back of the fridge, through the coils and out the upper vent. The installation manual is pretty specific as to how they should be arranged. I planned on improving my existing baffles as they aren't really what the manual requires.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #15
Site Team

Have you looked at the prices here?
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...s/rm3962pp.htm
Old 10-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

I have been looking at fridge prices for a week now. so far the best I can find for the Norcold 7.5CF is about 1200.00 with shipping. I will continue to look around - maybe a sale will come up. PPL was not a bad price at 1099 but they want 180 to ship.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

have you looked at a residential ?

MANY swap to an apartment sized residentials?
at the cheaper price for it and an inverter and a few batteries...
you never have to worry about food spoilage again...
Old 10-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I have been looking at fridge prices for a week now. so far the best I can find for the Norcold 7.5CF is about 1200.00 with shipping. I will continue to look around - maybe a sale will come up. PPL was not a bad price at 1099 but they want 180 to ship.
Stan two words for you Road Trip
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Lowes has a residential 10.28CF that is ~6" taller than your current 6CF one for $378. Haier Model #: HA10TG30SW

Here's a chart showing physical sizes of different model RV units
http://www.thetford.com/HOME/CUSTOME...1/Default.aspx

I know which way I'm going at some point.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

I thought about residential. From what I read online, you need multiple batteries (more than two) and an inverter to cover the fridge load. I checked out small fridges and found that the ones that will fit are cheap pieces of crap that won't take the bouncing around. I can go bigger and get a better than cheap POC but that would require cabinet mods that I don't want to do. My decision is to replace the fridge with a Norcold and be done with it for ten or so years.

Road trip would be fine except how do I carry it home with the 5'er??? Most of the places i have found a Norcold have 110.00-130.00 shipping so it cheaper to ship than travel (and pay tax on it (damn taxes!)) to get it.