Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Can a locksmith rekey the entry door and storage compartments?
pipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Probably but why? Some will simply order a different style lock for the compartments like the ones that require a numeric entry code. If you lost keys or simply need more then just order the correct number key online or purchase at local camping world.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I don't need a new key I just don't want a key that everyone else has. Don't like the idea that my neighbor can have the same key to my trailer door.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Brandon -- When I bought my first camper I bought and changed all the locks on all the basement doors. The key looked like the key used on the old Coke machines, the part that went into the lock was round. No one at any of the campground that I went to had them. I found them to be a real pain in the --- if you know what I mean. Once you unlocked the lock the key would not come out, it only came out in the unlock position. So when I would set up or break down, I had to constantly unlock than lock the door to go to the next door I wanted to get into. That's when I realized why no one else had them If someone wants something you have bad enough they will find a way. I have never had anything stolen at a campground. That's my story and I'm sticken to it.

I take it you are new to camping, so welcome aboard
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I wouldn't worry to much about the keys for the storage compartments. We have camped for years and never had an issue. We have spent the last several years snowbirding on the Alabama gulf coast for three months each winter. When we get there I unlock all the storage compartments for easy access and leave them unlocked the entire time. No problems.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:36 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to h2opumper
We have a new Zinger 5th wheel on order. I was just wondering how many different keys come with a new unit? On our previous unit (older, purchased used) it seemed like every lock needed a different key.
h2opumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I went to CW and got new locks when I first got the camper but never installed them and have never had a problem with anyone getting in to them. The door is not very well built so like said above if someone wants in a 6 in screwdriver would do it.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:04 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I used this on our last trailer. I will order them again for my new one

http://www.ch751.com/intro.html

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:07 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I agree campers don't steal and if they wanted to get in your storage compartments aall that is needed is a screwdriver. I do know they have differant keys for your entrance door.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:14 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I agree with the others that the likelihood of anybody stealing out of your storage compartments isn't all that high. I lock mine when traveling just to keep them from inadvertently coming open going down the highway, but I leave them unlocked the whole time I am set up. I've never had anything come up missing. Campers are pretty good about watching each other's stuff. If you are leaving the trailer to go sightseeing, hiking, or the like, just let your neighbor know. They won't let anybody bother your rig.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Ditto!!

After 6o+years RVing only once had any problems.
Out East 1993 Washington DC area federial park RV campground. Two Kids (other[s] not cauth) Drugies bracking it to RVs stealing. They did major $$s damage to RVs compared to what they took; temporarily. No idea how much time they got our insurance (insureing 2 others) was asking for 20 yrs each. Our trailer was repaired . . .
Old 03-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

"cauth"?? caught
Old 03-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

I also went through what SleepyT did with the tubular key cam locks. They're in my top tray of my tool box for parts right now.What a hassle.
Here's what I learned one day after locking out a mobile repair service from my camper. The key to your dead bolt and door handleare standard FIC Key Codes (HF301-HF351). So there is a possibilitythat someone else in the campground has a key to your door. But since the code is not stamped into the tumbler cover no one knows which key fits your door. Notice an "M" stamped on the door handle lock? That tumbler allows the Master FIC key to open itbut the Master key does not work in your dead bolt. Dealers use the Master as well as RV Repair services.

So locking the dead bolt is fifty times more secure then the door handle when leaving the camper for the day. And it will most likely keep the guy you hired from getting access to it too.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Brandon --- The keys I was talking about are shown in the link in the thread posted by CW3JASON. I would not buy those keys again, but just to show you everybody is different CW3JASON said he would buy them again.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Ty for all the feed back
Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

SleepyT,
While the tubular keys could be alittle difficult at times, I did find you could remove the key in the locked or unlocked position if you rotated the key far enough to align the keyway. Allowing you to unlock and open all the doors at once if you want. Combination locks would be better, but more expensive.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

I too had those type of tube key locks, where the key only came out, when you locked it back up. Simply fix, file the aligning tip off the key, then it can be removed in any position. Just turn the key a 1/4 turn to open & make all you locks open in the same clock pattern. This way you will remember the alignment, when you lock it back. They work great now.
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:49 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

I took one of the lock assembly's from the basement door to a locksmith and he sold me assemblies with the same key number to replace the original assemblies. It took me about a half hour to replace the assemblies.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

This is what I put on all my outside locks. No key required and you can make your own combo up so you will never forget it. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...p;site=ROCKLER

They work great and I dont have to carry around a key to open any outside compartment.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:52 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Brandon, typically items that are stolen at campsites are not those from locked compartments. Items like external surge protectors, anti-gravity chairs, coolers, small grilles, high end wheel stabilizers, etc. are typically stolen during the day. Keeping a true thief from stealing something is nearly impossible, so they won't be detoured by changing out your locks. They simply improvise and force the access point open with some type of pry bar. Locking up valuable items when you are going to be away from your site all day is always a good idea however (out of sight, out of mind). What you can do is to try and keep honest people honest. If you aren't leaving valuable items lying around when you are gone, you aren't encouraging someone to think about "borrowing it". I spent many years as a law enforcement officer and most acts of stealing were committed during the hours of daylight, not at night. Not many people give anyone a second glance wandering around a campground during the day, but at night "that's another story". A very large number of calls I investigated over the years were committed during the day in plain sight, they made little or no effort to hide what they were doing. Most people simply don't pay attention to what normally would be considered unusual behavior when conducted openly in the day time hours.

When someone isn't tempted, typically the "generally" honest types leave everything alone. "If" your elect to use a portable surge protector (which I suggest doing) keeping it secured is a must. They are high priced and easy to steal, unless properly secured (however not impossible to steal no matter what you do). I made up my own coupler that locks the surge protector to the 50 amp power cord. However, since my power cord plugs into a 50 amp receptacle on the 5th wheel, it too needs to be secured. Failing to secure both ends will sooner of later cost you the loss of both.

Typically snow birds have little issues with stealing during their lengthy stays due primarily to the fact everyone knows everyone near their site, and they all are vigilant when it comes to watching their neighbors site. Strangers are spotted quickly and watched closely. In overnight & weekly campground sites the complete opposite is true, and you are at a much greater risk of having items stolen. More often than not it isn't a fellow camper that steals from you, but individuals that make a living "stealing from unprotected sites". They cruise around looking for an opportunity and take advantage when they find one. The biggest mistake you can make is to believe the party parked next to you is as honest as you are. Thankfully most are, but being cautious never hurts.
Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote