Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:18 AM   #1
New Camper

Relating customer service experience...

Would just like to pass on my extreme disappointment at the service I received this morning. (mod edit) in customer service is an embarrassment to your company and is probably the rudest, most sarcastic, patronizing support person I have ever dealt with. My 5th wheel has a design flaw that (mod edit) not only had no solution for, but talked down to me and was very embarrassing. I was told by (mod edit) that my $100,000 2016 Rushmore was not designed for dry camping. When I advised that this was never conveyed by the dealer, (mod edit) said that wasn't his or Crossroads problem. When I explained that the three of us really are a partnership, the builder, the dealer and ultimately the buyer, he again said that it was between me and my dealer and he said our conversation was over and he terminated our call. I eventually got passed to someone named (mod edit) and it was simply voicemail. I have not heard anything back yet and actually don't expect to.
Nice job Crossroads. You got my money and you are laughing all the way to the bank. Always remember that Karma's a bitch and if you treat enough consumers as you treated me, word gets out and you will find yourselves with a warehouse full of under designed, unsold coaches.
With social media sites, Facebook, Twitter etc and the extensive list of forums related to your product, I would be very sure that I not only treated my customers with the respect that a hundred thousand dollar investment deserved, but I would not have representatives like (mod edit) being my sole contact with your company.
If you choose to discuss my problem further, you may contact me by phone. Feel free also to check your owners group forums and all other social media as I will be posting my horrible experience concerning (mod edit) and your company.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

What a shame.

What is it about the Rushmore that isn't suited to dry camping? Fresh/waste water capacities? Generator?
Old 03-22-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
New Camper

Once the 5th wheel is removed from the truck and with no shoreline hookups available, the refrigerator wil last 3 1/2 hours before going dead. This is a "residential" fridge that only runs on 110. There is a invertor that powers from 2 batteries.i was told by Chris in customer service that this 5th wheel was not designed for dry, non-hookup camping. His solution was to turn the battery (and the fridge) off at every fuel fill up to conserve battery... Really? There is a design issue that needs to be addressed.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I feel your pain.... I had a similar discussion from the redwood side and decided to terminate the relationship.

Service, especially customer service is a dying art...

Maybe it has something to do with the 'Me' generation and the everybody gets a trophy mindset...
Old 03-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Here Here. They did it to me too
They do not stand behind what they sale

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
Old 03-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
Site Team

I have to say that I agree that a residential refrigerator is not suited for dry camping without a generator.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
Old 03-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
I have to say that I agree that a residential refrigerator is not suited for dry camping without a generator.
X2, there is a reason why 2-way and 3-way RV refers were developed. They run on propane specifically for dry camping. And since many dry camp sites have restrictions on running generators at all hours, residential refers are not suited for dry camping. It is unfortunate that the OP and his salesman did not fully communicate intended use and limitations of the specific RV.

Some brands offer the same floor plan/model with both refer types so the buyer can pick the right one for their needs. I don't believe CR does.

However, employees in customer service should also be able to deal with customers in a professional, knowledgable and helpful manner, so shame on CR for not handling the situation better. Hopefully, the OP will receive more help on this issue.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Old 03-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #8
New Camper

I finally spoke to(mod edit) who is a manager In customer service. While being very professional, he offered no other solution. He went as far to tell me that they had
no idea during the design process that this would be a problem. It was only after talking to invertor manufacturers that they realized they had a problem. He also advised that the invertor would not even keep up with refrig demand running down the road. If travel time exceeded 6 or 7 hours, the refrig would be dead on arrival....wait, what? I should have bought a cabin.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
Gone Traveling

Going down the road the batteries are being charged by your truck so your frig should run as long as the truck is, so I don't agree with the travel comment. Even if it didn't stay running, it would stay cold much longer due to better insulation than a rv frig. I do agree, where it is more room & more attractive, that residential refrigerators are not/never will be designed for efficient rv use.
If you bought the rv with the intention of boondocking regularly then you were mistaken, should've got the "rv" frig. I also agree customer service is almost nonexistent in every buusiness nowadays & you should've not been treated that way, but we keep buying their products.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

I agree, if the 12V feed from the truck is active, it will keep the batteries charged and they will keep the residential refer operating. Even if not, with the refer not in use, everything will stay cold. There are many units with residential refers made by many manufacturers and none are any better or worse on the road than any other, so this is not an issue other than owner awareness and experience.

Also, there are many RVers with propane refers, that travel with it shut off for more than 7 hours travel time. As long as the refer is cold at departure, even the thinly insulated RV refer stays cold. So, on the road, either style of refer is totally adequate.

But a residential refer is not suitable for dry camping, it is as simple as that. It will take a generator running when allowed plus a full solar setup to keep the refer running for multiple days of dry camping.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 03-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Sorry - their saying the fridge would be dead when u get there ?
that's only true if they put too small an inverter and battery set...

There are MANY all electric rv's with full res appliances that work well...
and there are many that boondock with solar.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Sorry - that's only true if they put too small an inverter and battery set...

There are MANY all electric rv's with res appliances.

But how many dry camp for a week to a month at a wack?
Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Sorry - their saying the fridge would be dead when u get there ?
that's only true if they put too small an inverter and battery set...
And even if true for this specific RV, it would be a fixable problem.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 03-23-2016, 06:53 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

I have a residential fridge. the inverter will cut out when the batteries are half drained as to not damage them. that being said. if your truck is running and connected to the trailer your inverter will continue to run and keep the fridge going while traveling. I have traveled for 3 days, and by day 3 my batteries will not keep the fridge going, but when the truck is running, I can reset the inverter and it will keep the fridge going. if I stop and shut off the truck the inverter stops and I have to reset the inverter once I start the truck again. The truck provides the power to keep the inverter running, but can not recharge the batteries sufficiently enough for the inverter to only run off the trailer batteries. It usually takes a day or so plugged into shore power to restore the trailer batteries back to full charge.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
Old 03-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
I have a residential fridge. the inverter will cut out when the batteries are half drained as to not damage them. that being said. if your truck is running and connected to the trailer your inverter will continue to run and keep the fridge going while traveling. I have traveled for 3 days, and by day 3 my batteries will not keep the fridge going, but when the truck is running, I can reset the inverter and it will keep the fridge going. if I stop and shut off the truck the inverter stops and I have to reset the inverter once I start the truck again. The truck provides the power to keep the inverter running, but can not recharge the batteries sufficiently enough for the inverter to only run off the trailer batteries. It usually takes a day or so plugged into shore power to restore the trailer batteries back to full charge.
How much of your travel time was connected to the truck? Will the truck keep the batteries charged while connected?

How much of your time was the refrigerator running while not connected to the truck?
Old 03-23-2016, 07:17 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Yes, but the truck only charges while it's running. There is a relay in the truck that prevents 12vdc from going to the trailer when the truck is not turned on so you don't wake up to a dead battery in your tow vehicle. So if I wally dock for the night, the fridge is on the RV batteries alone and by the end of the second night they can not keep up. If I kept the truck running all night, plugged into shore power, or ran a generator, that would keep my batteries up longer. No matter what when your traveling down the road, the fridge will run, because it is getting sufficient voltage from the truck to keep the inverter running.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jason & Wendy
Old 03-23-2016, 07:19 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

I guess a simple way to put it is I am using more than I am putting back and by day 3 it will not run unless the truck is running.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jason & Wendy
Old 03-23-2016, 07:21 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

I am sorry if this hurts anyone's feelings, but I don't see how the original problem of the rig not being able to boondock as being a Crossroads problem. There are a lot of "full time" rigs that have these refers and it is pretty well known that they won't run off a battery for extended periods of time, i.e. more than 24 hours.

My wife really wanted a residential fridge, but we also knew we would have to have a generator if we did and one of the campgrounds we frequent regularly has restrictions on generators, so we didn't buy a unit with a residential fridge.

I absolutely agree that Crossroads failed miserably in the way they communicated, or didn't communicate, with the OP, but frankly, this was an issue the OP needed to take up with his dealer who obviously didn't understand how the OP intended to use the rig. If the dealer did know you intended to boondock they never should have sold you that particular trailer.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:23 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

I think that power is one of the biggest challenges that any new RV owner faces. 12 volt batteries are living organisms that need to be understood and maintained. Adding the right number of batteries for your needs takes time and understanding. If you have two strong batteries and they can't power that fridge (which isn't surprising), then find a way to add two more.

It sounds like your rig doesn't have a generator. My family mostly dry camps and in our large group there isn't one family who doesn't use a gen. But just because you don't have an onboard gen doesn't mean you can't bring a portable. A lot of my friends have switched over to portable gens because they are so much quieter and use less fuel.

I think that by adding more batteries and finding a good portable generator on Craigslist, you could adapt your setup and make it possible to dry camp just fine.

Hang in there.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:30 AM   #20
Seasonal Camper

I would never travel with a residential fridge. They make some nice electric / gas ones now a days. i can boondock for many days with it.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
Closed Thread