Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Removing Film/Oxidation

The used 05 Cruiser CT28FB we purchased has a noticeable layer of film and we are looking for the right way to remove this and get the unit clean and shiny. I started on the unit using Meguiar's 44 Marine*RV Color Restorer and it works well but it seems like a huge laborious task on a 30' unit. It's like waxing a car - rub a layer on as it cleans, then rub it off with a second cloth.

Then yesterday I was out working on a couple spots where some tape left sticky adhesive remains. I was using Whip It - a cleaner we bought at Costco and surprisingly enough, all I had to do was spray the fiberglass surface and wipe with a rag and it cleaned right off. I did the door and another spot and realized if it works this well everywhere I can clean the film off in 1/4 the time.

Any comments or suggestions about doing this would be helpful. I don't want to use something now because it's easy then have the entire unit turn yellow or something weird later. Thanks.

Bruce & Sherry
2013 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi
2005 Cruiser CT28FB
and Lilly the standard poodle
BruceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

According to their website, it can be used on fiberglass or painted surfaces when diluted at a rate of 2oz per quart of water.

Sounds interesting. I would try it on a small area first before going full out.

Let us know how it works.

Before and after pictures would really be nice.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I'm going to try to get at it soon.....after these waves of rain, winter mix, snow and whatever else we get are finished.

Pretty depressing weather. Once again April was just a teaser. Last April was a grade F - worst I'd ever seen for cold, snow, miserable conditions. April of '14 wasn't looking bad at the beginning but it's finishing in grand March like fashion. As usual temps are 20 degrees below normal (that's been the magic number up here for months).

We were hoping for a good shake down trip next week but this things staying parked if I don't see a good amount of sun predicted with at least some highs in the 60s.

I'll take some pictures of the clean up work but first impressions are this will work good. As I said earlier the door cleaned up well, I'll try another section to compair with the Meguiar's and show the work.

Thanks and take care all.

Bruce & Sherry
2013 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi
2005 Cruiser CT28FB
and Lilly the standard poodle
BruceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Time to Polish

Here is a link to Poliglow. This is an amazing product that will far exceed any wax product on the market. Bring new life to a tired exterior or simply protect a new investment.

http://www.poliglow-int.com/ Product website

http://youtu.be/WUNQPCLD4gU Product demo video
Old 04-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardvoia View Post
Here is a link to Poliglow. This is an amazing product that will far exceed any wax product on the market. Bring new life to a tired exterior or simply protect a new investment.

http://www.poliglow-int.com/ Product website

http://youtu.be/WUNQPCLD4gU Product demo video

wardovia,

Have you used this stuff and if so, how long did it take to do you camper? I'll make the investment (This stuff isnt cheap) if it protects the finish.

FYI

Amazon has the same stuff same price and free shipping (save yourself 10 bucks)

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote