Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #21
jeb
Family Vacation Member

If Randy said to do something, I think I would do it. If he said the sun would shine at midnight, I'd get my shades ready by 11:30.

Try the EquaFlex. It works very well and don't be afraid to run the trailer without either it or shocks. It'll be fine. Just realize that the ride will be rougher and you'll need to put stuff inside away before moving.
Edited by: jeb

2008 Chevy 2500 with Duramax/Allison

1 wife

3 cats

and a family of racoons.
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #22
Weekend Camper

I wondered if I was the only one to experience this problem. 2006 29RK Cruiser.
Fortunately I noticed the little bits of rubber on the suspension parts before the tire was completely worn through. I got home by spacing the wheel out from the hub with some washers.
I have re-drilled the top holes for the shock about 1/2 inch toward the frame. It is easier if you remove the lower shock plate from the axle. On the slide side you will have to cut the long threaded end of the shock so it will clear the slide stablizing bar which rotates when the slide is moving in or out. Holding the shock in place allows you to see how much should be cut off. Lots of clearance now on all tires and still have the shocks in place.
I realized one of my tires was a replacement tire and although it had the same sizing specs it actually bulged more and therefore was the one to wear. I did this mod to solve any future tire/shock problems, such as a tire with a slow leak.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #23
Weekend Camper

Thanks Jeb for the post, that's exactly what we've found when I removed the 4 shocks.....nothing bad happens but things to get shaken around a little bit more! I also like the last post about moving them in to clear the tire, I might try this fix over the winter when there's nothing else to do.....no yard work, etc....LOL!!

Also, when we bought the rig used last year it had older Les Schwab trailer tires on it and I don't believe the shock was rubbing, but when I replaced them with Goodyear Marathon's the rubbing began....makes me wonder about tire quality Les Schwab Chinese tires vs Goodyears!!!

Cheers All

efavilajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #24
New Camper

Tires Rubbing Shocks 2006 SK30

I was wondering if anyone solved the problem of tires rubbing shocks by downgrading to 205s v 225s? I caught the problem before a failure but read the manufactures label as tire width 205. I thought the previous owner had mounted tires that were too large. At any rate I had four 205s mounted on a 2006 SK30 (7990 dry). I have 2000 miles on them with no problems yet. What I'm I losing by doing this?
Jdmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #25
Full Time Camper

Not sure that the 205 tire is HD enough. My 2007 SK (same dry weight rating) had problems with the original tires (225 load range D-as per the tire label) wearing too much from overloading. I went to a 225 load E and the problems went away. The fix for the shocks is pretty straight forward-cut the angle bar 1/2 - 1" in and remount the shocks to the next hole. That is what they did under warranty when the problem of the hocks hitting the tires first came up in 2008 or so. You may have 2000 miles now, but my guess is you will have wear issues soon
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:24 AM   #26
New Camper

Since its 9 years old i bet I'm outside ths warranty.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #27
Full Time Camper

You are but are you SURE the fix hasn't already been done? Even after the fix, the end of the angle iron is about 3/4" from the tire but they have never touched.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #28
New Camper

All I know is that 3 of my 4 225/75e/15s had a deep groove into the side walls. The rear tire on the passenger was the worse which corroborates the above. My data plate is worn and looks like it read 205 hence my mistake at thinking I had a fix. After a little forensics I was able to make out 225 Grrrr
Old 06-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #29
Full Time Camper

Frustrating. Personally, I would trade them in and get 225's after you cut the angle bar. I truly believe you are under capacity with the rig you have. Better to lose a few hundred now than spend much more if you have a blow out and do major damage (happens all the time - do a search on this forum). Make sure you get load E's tho.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #30
New Camper

One final question: is it possible to merely remove the shocks, or do I need to cut something off?
Old 06-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #31
Full Time Camper

You can remove the shocks and to my knowledge it won't hurt anything, but it also won't solve the issue of the brackets hitting the tires which is what the mod was all about.