Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Just wondering how many miles you guys put on your 5ver before repacking the wheel bearings.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I've never thought about it in miles...we've always repacked every 2 years.

This is our first TT with E-Z lubes, so I am curious as to if/when a full repack is needed.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Check every year and clean/repack every 2 years. I put about 6K miles on each year. Personally I'm not a fan of the EZ Lube feature. I'm too concerned about squirting grease in the wrong place.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:08 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

If I recall correctly, lippert suggests every 2 years. I did mine after one year (and glad I checked-- I ended up replacing both on drivers side), but last year we put over 5k miles on it.
It can't do any harm to do it more often... and seals are cheap.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:09 AM   #5
Site Team

We haven't been putting many miles on, so been doing it every two years. I did them this spring before going to the TX. rally. Had to replace all four grease seals, which I figured on anyway. They were all shot. I pulled the brake drums off a couple weeks ago to check them. I was a little suspicious the way things were acting back there on the way home from TX. I think now that it was my brake controller. All was well inside the brake drums. I guess if I was putting 5000-6000 mi. on each year, I would think about doing it yearly, other wise every two years. I would advise people with new rigs to pull their drums and at least inspect things. Mainly to see if the seals are leaking or not.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

2 years for me for repacking. (don't trust e-zlube) new seals everytime. Not sure how you would repack without changing the seals. Can not get the rear bearing out to clean and repack without disturbing the seal. I don't trust using the grease gun on the seals because everytime i think that grease is getting pumped into the brakes. Which i found out the fist time i used it..

I don't put that many miles on mine, Maybe 2500 miles a year. I will change the bearings myself and it will run about (approx)$150.(I know this because i have done other folk's Rv's)I probably will do it the next time around on mine. Guess it would be approximatly less than 17,000 miles. Guessing because i don't track mileage.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:11 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

The EZ-lube only injects grease to the rear bearing. The front bearing can be pulled easy enough and done by hand. Spin the wheel slowly and inject two (MAX) pumps. Personally, I do it all by hand every two - three years. I just replaced the bearings this summer (6 years old) and they looked good.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I know this has been addressed before, but would someone explain again where and how to jack up the camper in order to repack these bearings ...it would be very helpful...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I do mine every year just before camping season. The dealer told me every two but it takes a couple of hours to check them out. I am glad all I have had to replace is grease seals and all is well. I know it is over kill but it is my peace of mind.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_71

I know this has been addressed before, but would someone explain again where and how to jack up the camper in order to repack these bearings ...it would be very helpful...
There was a big tado here awhile back about this. They say you are suppose to raise your rig by jacking under the frame (per Lippert). I did it that way once!! Pain in the drain. Now I do it just like I always use to. I have a pipe coupler with a piece of 1/4x2 angle iron welded on. It's about 2 1/2 in. long. This sits on my 20 ton jack and the angle goes up under the axle. I place it as close to the U-bolts as possible. This is what works for me.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

dido that old farmer,I use a 5 ton jack between the u-bolts.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I have mine done every year during annual inspection. We have averaged about 10,000 miles each year, except for this year. So far I have replace 2 and had one burn out on the road. I suspect that one was over-tightened during the repack.
The bunk bedroom is for Haley!

Crossing the Roads with The Mason-Dixon Bunch
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpwood007
Check every year and clean/repack every 2 years. I put about 6K miles on each year. Personally I'm not a fan of the EZ Lube feature. I'm too concerned about squirting grease in the wrong place.

I forgot to mention, if I had a new trailer I would clean and repack after the first year. On my first 2 year repacking I discovered a terrible bearing. It was adequately smothered in grease so it's my opinion it came that way from the factory. Amazing it lasted that long without problems.

I think next time I repack I may change out the Chinese bearings for some new Timkens.
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:

Quote:

I forgot to mention, if I had a new trailer I would clean and repack after the first year. On my first 2 year repacking I discovered a terrible bearing. It was adequately smothered in grease so it's my opinion it came that way from the factory. Amazing it lasted that long without problems.

I think next time I repack I may change out the Chinese bearings for some new Timkens.
From what you found I would recommend doing the bearings before the first use of a new trailer. When I got my new Cruiser I was having problems with the brakes locking on two wheels. When I removed the brake drums to find out what was wrong I found three of the four full of grease. The factory had damaged the grease seals on original assembly.
Good luck in finding bearings that are not made in China. I suspect you will find Timkens are no longer made in the USA.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

timkens and ntn nearings are made in japan. a friend of mine who works at a bearing shop educated me in the difference between china and japan. chinese bearings come as a kit with both bearings and races in a bag-- you shouldn't mix the races. Japanese products come individually package in cardboard boxes.
However, I still use chinese seals because the japanese are too expensive to replace annually.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Thanks for all the info guys. I will prolly doitbefore camping season next year. Since I boughtmy 09used back in the spring I don't know the last time it was done if ever. When I bought it from a local dealer they told me they didnt even check them.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhauler
Thanks for all the info guys. I will prolly doitbefore camping season next year. Since I boughtmy 09used back in the spring I don't know the last time it was done if ever. When I bought it from a local dealer they told me they didnt even check them.

I would definitely do them. They may never have been done!

Good info on EZ lubes. I think mileage and time would be good way to track as we are all traveling differently. Ours sits most of the time, so even 3 years would be fine. For what it takes, a total repack will be worth the time versus burning it up on the road.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampers
However, I still use chinese seals because the japanese are too expensive to replace annually.

My opinion, buy the best seals and there's no need to change annually. Too expensive? Try paying the towing bill and you might reconsider.

I've packed the inner bearings may times and never had a seal go bad as a result of removing and replacing the existing seal.

Replacing every other packing should be more than enough.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

I just did a car trailer. Bought new seals, All 4 were $15.00 at the most after tax.

There is a better seal over the other? You had your unseated,pressed in evenly ,used seal in your hand and didn't pop on a new one $3.50 a pc + tax? Wow.. I trust my work, But not that much. I even use a 50ton hydraulic H Press to make sure them suckers are in evenly.

Edited by: danskool

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
Seasonal Camper

I don't think I have ever got a seal out without damaging it. Also, I've never had one leak yet.
the local bearing shop here sells japanese seals for about $14 each. My friend that works there can get them for $10 each. While at the factory rally, theres a couple of surplus stores just over the border in Michigan. I pick up a few every year there for 3 or 4 bucks each. Both kinds are double seals.