Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hey to all- we are new to the forum and are looking for your thoughts.

My wife and Ihave had a 5th wheel for 3 years. We are in the process of upgrading to a Seville 35 ck. We are about 80% sure we will acquire one within the next 1-2 weeks. My question is this, has anyone bought a camper (any camper) from Camping World, if so how was the service after the purchase?

Also, our last 5th Wheel had numerous cracks in the outside side wall - has anyone experienced crack(s) in the 35ck and was this during the warranty period of 3rd to the 5th year? If yes, how was the repair handled and how was the service - most important where you satisfied with the outcome.

Thanks

Byron & Gail

Chisago City MN
Byron & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

If you buy this at Camping world you should be able to take to any CrossRoads dealer, You might even be able to take it to any Thor dealer, But I would ask about that one.

I have no dealings with CW with the exception of them emptying my pockets each time I go in.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:29 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Just watch them on price, their "sales" price flyers are basically MSRP discounted by about 10%. A new Crossroads 2010/11 should be easy to get 25-20% off. There is a online retailer too, www.wanarv.com
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:58 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I would also check out RV Wholesalers in Ohio.Can have some great prices.Edited by: campsurveyor
Old 10-19-2010, 04:01 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Sadly they (RVW) don't sell the Seville line.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:47 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I had camping world install an electric awning on my 5th wheel, it was a nightmare to say the least, they shorted out the electric in the bedroom when they drilled to install the new awning, it was a hell of a mess, then they said it wasn't there fault, after alot or verbal fighting they admitted there mistake, it was almost a 2 hr ride back to camping world to have it fixed, took them a week to repair, lots of BS excuses, when I went to get it my unit was in the parking lots, unlocked, all the storeage doors were left unlocked, I asked the service writer if he had checked it to see if it was ok, he simply said no, I said I suggest you check it, he did, the camper was dirty inside, they did fix it, it took alot of fighting and after that I threw out my presidents card and I sam done with them....it was at Sapilla's in Canton, Ohio...as far as I am concerned when camping world went into the RV sales business, they simply went to hell in a hand basket, and no way would I ever buy a new RV from them........

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

So you are claiming they knew the wiring was there and drilled right through it on purpose??

Jimehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

No....He's claiming their stupid for not knowing where the wall framing is and drilling into that rather then a wall cavity with wires.....
Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

As far as repair I guess they are all different. The one local to us installed a new toilet in our old Cruiser and did two Dometic AC warranty repairs on our Paradise Pointe and did a great job. One of the AC repairs they had to run wiring through the ceiling from the rear AC unit to the thermostat towards the front of the trailer and when they were through it looked just like it did when it went in and the AC has worked as it should since they fixed it. I guess it is the luck of the draw if you have a good one in your area for service.

As far as their RV prices we looked at several Class A's both diesel and gas while we were there and 20% off MSRP was about the best they seemed willing to do at the time. We told the sales guy thanks but we can do better at other dealers.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thanks - we have been dealing with the CB Iowa Camping World - they seem nice - but of course all sales folks do when they need or want to. So far there are better prices (for the same unit) of about $2500 that are actually closer to us. Monday brings the day for calls and determine what the "best, best" price will be. We do like the idea of purchasing from Camper World - primarily due to the number of repair locations. However, saying that I know they would also service a CR acquired from elsewhere.

Thanks

Byron & Gail

Chisago City MN
Byron & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78
No....He's claiming their stupid for not knowing where the wall framing is and drilling into that rather then a wall cavity with wires.....
How did the wires get into the wall cavity??

Guess it would be hard to wire without wires passing through framing somewhere, but yet then I've never seen your method used before - wireless wiring - hum, a good concept...

Do not get me wrong - I am not sticking up for camping World - as they will never be allowed to work on my trailer (to many horror stories) but as a person who does this type of stuff daily over the course of many years - I have hit wires a few times.. So it can happen, unless one has x-ray vision or knows exactly where things are run..
Edited by: Jimehc
Jimehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:38 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Have you been to the Cruiser factory? Perhaps you should visit and see them built; then please, by all means, we can re-visit this conversation. I believe your working off a stick built home schematic in your head.

The wiring is not run stapled to a wall stud or within the hollow alum. stud.

But who cares, you wouldn't bring your camper there anyways you said.

Cheers...
Old 10-22-2010, 04:11 AM   #13
jeb
Family Vacation Member

It seems to me that if they were installing an awning, the first priority they would have is to position the awning where it's supposed to be. That would limit the places they would be able to drill holes for the awning hangers.

Having said that, I use, and they could have used, a stud finder which also indicates where electrical wires, plumbing, etc. in addition to the studs are in the wall. If there were wires where holes must be drilled, they could have limited the depth of their effort and not hit them.

Edited by: jeb

2008 Chevy 2500 with Duramax/Allison

1 wife

3 cats

and a family of racoons.
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

We purchased our Seville from the Camping World in Greenwood, Indiana in August and are about to take it in this week for some issues that I'd have thought they would have found during dealer prep so I'll have a much better idea as to their capabilities when this is done.

So far, the sales guys have been ok, the business manager is very good (and responsive). My reaction to the service guys is a bit iffy as they keep hedging on how long to fix the list of stuff I gave them. Latest conversation was sort of "leave it here and we'll call you when it's done. This will take several days to get warranty authorization from the factory". It seems that they just started carrying Crossroads at that location. There is a Crossroads service center a couple of miles away from there and I'm really thinking of cancelling at Camping World and taking it there instead.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Be certain the other repair place will do the warranty work as they are not required or obliged to do same.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Al & Linda, your in Indiana, just go to the factory repair center. Call Crossroads and make an appt.

I don't think there's even a comparison.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:50 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

I agree with Mike, go to the factory repair center. Went there once and it couldn't have turned out better. Super people!
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

I'd sent pictures up to Randy at the factory. I'm now scheduled into Topeka on the evening of the 8th to drop the camper the next morning. After talking to Randy, this looks like something that would be better handled at the factory.

I wonder if there is a thread for things to look for when picking up a new unit? If not, I've got 3 or 4 items to start one with:
1) Check all slide seals to make sure they do actually touch and seal.
2) All switches
3) All appliances - make sure everything functions (maybe more in depth than you'd do a house).
4) Ask about brake adjustment (camper brakes, Lippert "suggests" adjustment after 200 miles)
5) Screws for bathroom fixtures (towel and paper holder come not mounted).
6) All owner and service literature.

I'm sure that others here have a number of things they could add as well. We did a walkthru at Camping world and saw most everything working. I didn't check the seals as I didn't think I needed to (my mistake).

We already had a repair on the refrigerator the first time the camper went out (defroster board turned on full time, freezer was 77deg, fridge was 40 deg). Randy was great help on this and with his help and that of the Norcold field techs, we were able to temporarily bypass the problem and then Norcold put in a new defrost board. The fridge problem is what made me a bit nervous about Camping World. The call to them on the issue was basically that we could bring the unit in, they'd look at it in a few days and then call the factory (which I'd already done).

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

what I was saying is that they did a sloppy job, when I confronted them about the wiring they denied it, said they didn't do it, I paid another RV tech to come to the house to check it out, he discovered the problem, I fought with them for 2 weeks to get them to admit to the problem, they finally admitted that they screwed up, and I never daid it was done on purpose, I stated a fact that they screwed up, and I had to fight them to get it repaired, they did repair it, they weren't happy to do it but they did and yes I had proof positive that when they drilled into the sidewall he cut the wire, when I picked up my camper it was dirty, grease on the floor and all the outside compartment door were left unlocked, I just picked it up and cleaned it myself....they simply screwed up and then tried their best to get out of it.....would I go back ...............no way

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:38 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

We bought our 2011 CF30SKP at Sirpilla Camping World in Akron/Canton. Four reasons: 1. The price was fair though not the best 2.They inflated the trade-in3. A$6K rebate from Crossroads. 4. They had what we wanted in stock. We were set up for 4 RV trips and we were able to use the new unit immediately.

We have had 2issues that I think were the result of the dealer. 1. The flush kit backflow preventer was not dealer tested. The first time we used the backwater flush we had a small flood in the bathroom. The valve vent was stuck open. I took the whole thing out and got rid of it. 2. The dealer did not setthe 5th wheel hitch height high enough and we had minor damage to the truck bed sides (scartches) which we took care of ourselves.

It pays big dividends to learn and service the unit yourself. It's a full tank of fuel round trip to the dealer and that's times two if you have to leave it. If you look inside the walls and underneath, wires and hoses are hanging loose everywhere. I spent a lot of time "organizing" stuff where I can get at it. The cost for the mfgr to do it would price the unit out of sight. I have never taken a camper back to any dealer. I do my best to make sure it's right before I haul it away. What I see is what I get. Hassling over warranty is just asking for high blood pressure. Not worth it. Just my opinion.