Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Well it has happened the cable broke and the galley tank valve is stuck open. (Thanks goodness) and I have a twist on gate valve so I can connect the sewer hose without the tank draining all over. This is a temporary fix for now. My question is for those who have seen these valves installed on your campers. Are the valves glued on or can you replace them with four bolts through a flange that is glued to the pipe. I have read in the past that some have replaced with electric valves. I would like to know how you like them but it may be to costly for me.

george

Old 05-22-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

It's very possible that the pull cable did not break but was pulled out of the valve actuator.The cable is held in with a grub screw and they have a habit of coming loose. Before looking to replace the valve, check to see if the cable let go at the grub screw. Whether you replace the valve or reinsert the cable and retighten the grub, you will still have to get access to the valve. At the same time, check the other valve actuator grub screws and give them a little tightening. I had a similar incident on a previous 5vr and that's what I had to do. Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Thanks Hamops,

I will check it out when I get home. I am in the middle of a two month trip and have the a temp fix.

Are the valves installed between flange fittings or glued to the pipe. I have been looking at replacement parts and most of them look like the valve sits between two flanges with 4 screws.

Thanks again,
george

Old 05-22-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

The valves on our previous 5vr were bolted but they would have been a bear to get out. When I had the black tank valve cable let go, I was a 1000 miles from home. I spent a day underneath the trailer at a KOA repairing it. The underside of the trailer was clad with aluminum sheeting and I had to cut holes in the cladding to get access to the valves. After I had made the repair, I bought some aluminum sheeting from Home Depot and screwed it to the existing cladding. The DW always complains that I carry a portable machine shop when we travel but there's been a few occasions when I've had to use it.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote