Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2015, 03:31 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Residential Refrigerator Pros and Cons

i don't believe Crossroads offers a residential refrigerator option in the Elevation line, but I do see it in the Carriage line and it may be in others. Wife and I are headed to the Hershey RV show and she has been doing her homework on RVs. We escaped without a new RV last year, but I feel a tugging on my wallet....

Since we made a 3400 mile round trip to Sturgis this year, we have decided we want to see more of the left side of the country. This means multiple day road trips.

Wanted to know if folks here had information or practical experience with residential RV refrigerators to share?
Many other brands offer this option. I see that they run on inverter/batteries when traveling, and electric when available but do not operate on propane. They are also much heavier than RV units. Have read on other forums that this is not the best option for long distance traveling.
Thanks in advance for any information!
Denny
President, Susquehanna Valley Chapter Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC).
denviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:12 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

copied from a thread i wrote on the MOC forum: I added a second interstate 24 battery to take the trailer down to Disney. Here are my results. batteries were fully charged, fridge running on inverter. stopped first night at Walmart, next morning everything still running. drove to campground second night pluged in to shore power. everything worked. day 3 not enough juice left in batteries to keep inverter running if truck was shut off. The inverter shuts down before batteries are completely drained, safety feature to save the batteries I suspect. had to start truck and reset inverter everytime I stopped and shut off the truck. Lesson learned: 2 batteries are good for 1 day, maybe alittle more. after 24 hrs even being plugged in or when driving, the batteries do not charge fast enough to replenish what the inverter has used, so the fridge will only run off the truck alternator and inverter and shut down if truck is turned off. If you plan on Wallydocking more than 1 night, you need to get better batteries. 2 deepcycle 6 volts possibly. Same results on the return trip from Disney, accept we didnt Wallydock untill the seccond night and some time in the early morning the inverter and fridge stopped. just reset once truck was running and home we went.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:34 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Personally, we will NEVER have another rv absorption fridge!

Have thrown away enough food due to their failure too many times already. We even went so far as to put an ice cube in a bowl in the freezer...
Then if the ice cube changed or there was water/ice in the bowl then it warmed up and refroze - therefore everything thawed.

Also, pictures like below make us skeered.

The last 3 rv's have had small res. fridges (small by res standards, but bigger than many rv fridges)

As stated, if you are boondocking you will need to make allowances with batteries, solar, etc... but we are always attached to shore power when not driving so it works for us... in the redwood 5'er we had, it had 3 batteries, one dedicated to the fridge itself.

I'm sure you've experienced power outages at the house... as long as you don't open the fridge, it wil stay cool a very long time..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (24.0 KB, 6 views)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote