Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

I have seen Rid-X in Wal-Mart and was wondering why it is not used in RV applications. It would seem like all one would need to add is about two tablespoons to the black tank.

We took our Cruiser down to the Famcamp at nearby Lackland AFB this afternoon to flush out the black tanks. I recently had the rear tank sanitary flush replaced under warranty but shortly thereafter the front stopped working. After I flushed the front tank out with 40 gallons of water the flush resumed working. I flushed both front and back black tanks twice then filled the tanks and added 4 oz. of Travel Jon to each tank as directed. The Travel Jon instructions stated that the stuff should sit in a full tank overnight then be drained. Tomorrow morning I'll go back over to Lackland and drain the tanks. I also intend to replace the shower head with a new one we bought at CW. Lackland charges $18 a night for a full hookup spot so I'll be able to work in air conditioned comfort tomorrow morning. The Lackland Famcamp is very nice. Hopefully I'll finish before the rain comes and we'll get the Cruiser back in her covered storage spot.

FWIW: I had the Cruiser washed at a Blue Beacon Truck Wash a couple weeks ago. BB did a great job.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I think the rid x would have to be in there a while to be effective, As I know it the rid x promotes bacteria, Your black tank is generally not filled long enough for this to matter.

Maybe I'm wrong.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Oh yea, Please stay out of WalMart,,,,, I hate that place.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Rid-x won't work in a black tank.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Rid -X is for a septic system, you don't have a septic system your is just a holding tank..

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

This is just my understanding of how a product like Rid-X works and I may be wrong. Rid-X promotes the growth of aerobic bacteria. Aerobic bacteria break down waste products in a septic tank into what is essentially liquid compost. That is why the "grass is always greener over the septic tank". Aerobic bacteria need oxygen to thrive and that is why an aerator helps a septic system work efficiently. The oxygen allows the aerobic bacteria to multiply and "digest" the waste. The problem with a holding tank is there is no aerator to allow aerobic bacteria to grow and you wouldn't hold the waste in the tank long enough for the bacteria to be able to work even if they were able to survive. The anaerobic bacteria are what produce the awful smell associated with waste and holding tanks. Anaerobic bacteria do not need oxygen to thrive and they can multiply quickly in a holding tank where limited oxygenation of the liquid is the norm. This why bleach is a component of the GEO method. The bleach will kill the anaerobic bacteria (it also kills the "good" bacteria) and get rid of the smell. I could be wrong about this but that is how it was always explained to me. IMHO the GEO method is the only way to go. It is cheaper than the holding tank chemicals, does better on odor control and the water softener serves to protect the tank and sensors over time.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Lonnie, Isn't that what I said ? lol

Thats pretty much how I understand it as well.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the very good, detailed explanation. Last night I was on the Rid-X website perusing the FAQs. It does specify that Rid-X has not been tried on an RV waste system and is therefore not recommended.

This morning I went back over to Lackland AFB's Famcamp and dumped the tanks that had been sitting since yesterday afternoon. The water ran clear from both black tanks and both sanitary flushes worked as advertised.Edited by: artgpo

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Hmmm, Interesting discussion.

I have never paid any attention to the GEO method because I have never had any problems with my black water tanks in about 40 years of RV'ing with several different rigs. I have used a variety of formaldehyde free treatments and neverused bleach.

If the GEO method uses a high concentration of bleach I would advise against using it as most campgrounds have a septic system that you are dumping into. So if you use high concentrations of bleach or formaldehyde you are probably killing the septic system bacteria.

I'm alsohave a septic system at my house and have always been told to avoid bleach in high concentrations. My wife uses Clorox2 for the laundrywhich does not contain chlorine and the label reads septic system safe. The holding (septic) tank is buriedand the access plates areburied under a few inches of dirt and 4 inches of concrete so it doesn't get much air except for the venting process which is similar to the vents on our rigs. So I'm not sure what kind of bacteria is in there. Probably both.

I have read that some of the long term campers that camp all winter in the Arizona desert around Quartzite use Rid-x or similar stuff. But they probablyonly get their black water tanks dumped about once a week or less. Then a"honey" wagon comes around and pumps them out. I don't know anyone that has actually done that so I don't know how effective it is.As others have said it is probably not practical for short camping trips. It is probably not that practical at all since most chemical treatments are cheap.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:51 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeman
So if you use high concentrations of bleach or formaldehyde you are probably killing the septic system bacteria.

Good point! I never really thought about the fact that the bacteria in the septic system of the CG might be impacted by the bleach from my tank. I guess my initial thought is that I use very little (maybe 1/2 cup and only in the black tank) and that it would be so dilute in the large septic system of a CG that it would not have an impact. But I honestly don't know how much it would take to have an impact. I may have to rethink the bleach.

Lonnie

Old 05-14-2010, 02:05 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

We have been using the GEO method for several years now and have never used bleach. I just use plain laundry detergent and fabric softener.

We have been on a septic system for over 20 years now and never used Rid-X or any other additive. We let it do what it is suppose to do. We have it pumpedevery three years and it always seems to be working fine.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:14 AM   #12
Site Team

I have been using the GEO method for two years and I never put bleach in with mixture. If I remember right, it doesn't call for it to be added to soap and calgon.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:26 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

correct me if I am wrong but I remember the geo website saying use a small amount of bleach occasionally or before storage in order to prevent or eliminate odors.We do not use bleach every time

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:43 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

I just tried to find the link to Charles Bruni's site where he talks about the GEO Method but can't find it. I did find a link to Newrver.com that hasan article by Bruniabout the GEO method. In this article he sayshe ocaissionally adds a gallon of bleach to each holding tank to sanitize and disinfect them. But, my understanding was, like you said, add bleach when you notice the odor. That is what we do. We only add the bleach when we get an odor and that honestly doesn't happen often. Mostly when it is very hot out. We also have never put a whole gallon in.

Lonnie

Old 05-14-2010, 03:48 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Here isa link below. I guess some people use bleach we have just never found the need to.

http://www.rvecafe.com/bwater.html
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

A great topic and good points here. I am a septic tech of 4 years. You can check a good web site at www.klinesservices.comto help answer alot of your questions. Watch Enzo going down the tank, the kids love it. Yes Hunter, you do not need Rid-X so save your money. Good job also getting pumped out every 3 years. We sure run into people that were never pumped out then they wonder why they have a problem. When we go to the bathroom, we are putting bacteria into the system. Any house cleaners and bleach will kill the bacteria in your system. Also toilet paper, use 2 ply. Lonnie, the grass will be greener over the drain field and you done some good research. Randy

Had the CR30BH, now another unit

2010 F350 Dually
bigbear is offline   Reply With Quote