Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Ridding Trailer of mice

So we have never had critter problems while storing our popup or our 5th wheel. My husband didn't notice any signs of critters when he dewinterized, but now we are 4 days into a week long trip and he saw a mouse go under the fridge this morning. We think we picked him up during this trip, as there are lots of chipmunks, squirrels and lizards running around here.

He's going into town for peanut butter and traps before we leave for some site seeing. Any products you swear by to get them to move out on their own and/or keep them away?
COCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
Site Team

Plug the holes so they can't get in. It's a big job to.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:44 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

We have an enclosed underbelly with seals around drains that poke through. What are the other areas of likely find holes that can access?
Old 06-16-2016, 07:47 AM   #4
Site Team

Open all the cupboard doors, pull out all the drawers, look under dinette seats, furnace compartment, convertor compartment. Any place you can open and get access to, because you will find BIG holes all over. More then you ever imagined.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Ok that's something we will look into when we get home. Any products that will help deter new mice while we are here for a few more days?

And follow up... Best material to plug holes with?
Old 06-16-2016, 07:54 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCamping View Post
Ok that's something we will look into when we get home. Any products that will help deter new mice while we are here for a few more days?

And follow up... Best material to plug holes with?
Baited traps where you can place them.
Steel and/or expanding spray foam.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I would check for holes in the frame as well. I thought I had gotten everything sealed up good and was still having trouble with mice. So this spring when I pulled unit out of storage I did more checking and found 2 holes in frame that where missed when I sealed up stuff. One had a wire loom coming from it for the side marker lights and that one I could get to with expanding foam. The other one was not as easy to see or get to. It was behind the pan that they put in on each side of the basement doors. This one I had to cut a piece of plywood that I sealed up good to water proof it and then I slid it up between the pan and the frame and used some self drilling/taping tech screws to secure it to the frame.

Since I did that we haven't had a problems. I've heard some people say that the product Fresh Cab works good and have heard that people have had good luck with just using cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #8
Gone Traveling

I bought a sonic pest thing at Ace Hardware & thinking this is a waste of $10, but in 2 years we've not had so much as a spider. Watching the squirrels, birds & other wildlife they come to within about 10-15' of the trailer & turn around. Sorry I don't remember the brand/model, but it works.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #9
Site Team

Available at Home Depot and Lowes GREAT STUFF 16 oz. Pestblock Insulating Foam Sealant-11034540 - The Home Depot

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:51 PM   #10
Site Team

Alternative choice:

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Alternative choice:

We have a cat at home. Apparently she was locked in a closet. Thank goodness we have a friend checking in on her.

We got some spray foam and filled the obvious holes we could find behind access panels and such. Set a few baited traps and left for the day. When we returned 7 hours later traps were empty and no obvious signs of mice. My husband will be checking for signs daily for a couple weeks even when in storage to make sure nothing is hiding out.

I'll have to look into the electronic deterrents.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

I hope you get rid of your (visitors). You may want to pull the access panel to the furnace, you will need to seal up where the ducting goes through the floor with expanding foam. As for the underbelly, really look closely by the axle spring hangers at the frame and near the rear bumper mounts. Both of these areas seem to have large gaps in the plastic allowing entry. I used many tubes of black silicone caulk sealing the underbelly of our trailer. It takes a lot of time but it is time well spent. Good luck.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all the advice. My husband picked up some traps and spray foam yesterday in town. Pulled a few access panels and were shocked by the large holes we found. Filled those up and set some traps. We caught one mouse early this morning. Still have a couple traps set.

We've made notes of recommended places to look and seal after we get home. Today is our last day here we head home tomorrow. Doesn't seem like a lot of visitors made it into the trailer but my experience is there's always more than you see. So we will diligently set and check traps daily for at least a couple of weeks while in storage to make sure we get rid of all the hitchhikers.

Still debating spending the $10 on an ultrasonic device while we are still here. May be worth a try.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:08 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Once you get the rodents out, put in FreshCab & replace it every month or so. FreshCab is heavy on peppermint & mice do not like that.

Also, use the PestBlock foam along with steel wool in any hole, no matter how small. Take your time and find any possible entry point under and around, particularly close to the spring shackles and along frame members.

If you need to clean and sanitize in the camper, use lysol or Quatenary Ammonia (hospital grade disinfectant) that won't damage fabric or corrode any material.

Good luck on getting the little critters. I keep a trap in mine all the time along with the FreshCab.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Mice

We've used Bounce orange dryer sheets since our first 5th wheel and have never had a problem! The key is ORANGE! NOT the other! This was stressed to us and has worked out without any problems. Put them in every drawer, cupboard, cabinet I n chairs, floors, everywhere! Hope this works for you too!
Joepanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:18 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Of course, since a mouse needs a hole with the diameter of pencil to get in, finding all the holes could be hard to do.
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:42 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Mint extract on cotton balls. Works every time. Use it for Railroad crossing House's
Keithdodge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:12 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

If you put some oil of peppermint in a small open container it will drive the mice out . The only problem it is pretty strong so you have to like the smell of peppermint. I use it for winter storage and have never had a problem with mice.