Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2009, 05:07 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Sorry to beat a dead (insert animal of choice) but... I cannot find SpicNSpan here in Atlantic Canada - rarer than chickens teeth. So the 64k question - can I use something like Sunlight Laundry detergent (powder)? Or - is there another more widely available product that I can use to clean the dark spots off my roof. Also, I noticed there is huge "yellow'ish" stain on the roof under TV antennae - any thoughts on removing it?

Thanks....

I feel sad - camping is over for the season...... Leaves look nice though!!!!!

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

You live to far north we have 2 weeks left. I don't see why any soap won't work and haven't heard diffenant. Bet we will now.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Not sure about the laundry detergent but the yellow stain is fairly common. Mine is the same way. It is probably a combination of sun fading / heat reaction to the roof and glue.I know I have the same color yellow under my antenna and also there are shoe footprints on the roof. It almost looks like someone walked on the roof before the glue dried and somehow that created the discoloration. Doesn't really bother me as i am the only one who sees it!
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Hey Darrell - I live in Maine, how is it across the bay?

Anyways, I used powdered laundry detergent (plain TIDE) with a splash of bleach. Worked great with a RubberMaid brand deck brush. The key is to use a medium bristle brush, car washing brushes won't take the abuse and won't clean deep into the rubber.

This worked out well for me. I also have a yellow stain, from the AC unit down the roof. The TIDE/bleach combo took it out. I also used this same mixture in a higher concentration on the slide awnings and awning.

Be sure to wash your trailer down after.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I think mwebber78 said something you need to remember and that is to keep the water flowing to keep the sides washed off if your using anything that you don't wash the sides with.This keeps the decals from being discolored.I have used lots of different stuff on the roof. Most clean good but not all remove the stains,witch I don't worry about much.Its good to take care of your camper,but if you don't watch it it can be a work pit.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I just use a little comet and water to clean the roof. Mine roof does not get a lot of dirt or tree sap but it is a real good time to check around the vents for cracks in the sealant.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

When I bought my trailer used it had a very filthy roof (very gray with lots of darker spots). It was in OH so probably mildew or something. I tried all kinds of things with lots of scrubbing and all I did was lighten it some. I finally tried bleach and that cleaned it right up with no scrubbing needed although I did some anyway. I did it very carefully as to keep the stuff off the sides and yes it was a pain. I used the outdoor bleach made for cleaning decks and such and put it on pretty concentrated. I should say it didn't fully get rid of the spots but just lightened them a lot. This was while in GA for a while. Now that I'm back home in UT the spots are pretty much gone as well. I'm not sure what did this other than its very dry here with lots of sun?

mark1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:01 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

As I expected - decent feedback with good ideas. Thanks for the help all. Mwebber - beautiful day here in good ole Nova Scotia (Saturday 03 Oct) - hope to be in your "neck of the woods" next summer for a 2-week road trip thru Uncle Sam's country.....

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:05 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Hey Darrell - crappy day here but oh well, we have had a nice fall thusfar after a bad summer. If your in the area let me know, I have some suggestions on places in the area.

Enjoy!
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote