Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Roof puffs up

First, a bit of history. We had an issue with our roof last year, the staples were coming through. We took it to the factory and they replaced the roof. We stopped at Erie, PA overnight on the way home, then Niagara Falls to visit friends. It was there that we noticed the roof was all wrinkled at the front and separating. We found a local tech to fix it for us to the tune of $1,300 (CDN). We did not want to take it on the highway and have it come off completely in transit. He did a good job and it has not loosened up since. Crossroads reimbursed us for this repair. (We sent them the pictures before and after and a copy of the invoice.)

Since that happened, we have been to PEI, Florida and Alaska with the trailer.

This fall we had the trailer in for some service and had them do an air test where they increase the air pressure inside, then squirt soapy water all over it to look for leaks. When they performed this test, the roof puffed up like an air mattress. The service tech said the factory obviously glued the new roof over the old one, and he said you cannot do that as new glue will not stick to old glue. You need to replace the wood as well.

I told my hairdresser about this as she also has a trailer. She then told me she saw a trailer on the highway with its roof all puffed up like an air mattress. When she told me where she saw this and I showed her a picture of our rig, she said it was our trailer she saw. We were in that location on that particular day.

So we chased after Crossroads to fix this problem or pay our tech to fix it. Our tech sent him videos of the roof puffing up in the test.

This is their reply:

"Per our previous discussion, based on the information and pictures submitted, our recommendation is to leave the roof as it is. If you still have a concern about the roof we are happy to assist with an inspection/repair here at CRV Service. If you should choose to bring your RV to Crossroads, we would be performing the service if a repair is deemed necessary.

Depending on the inspection we may need 3-5 days and you would need to take care of your lodging and food at that point.

The roof on your RV was/is not leaking and a problem was not reported prior to the maintenance/inspection on the roof. Like we discussed and I mentioned to BGM, a seal-tech/pressure test can exaggerate areas that do not necessarily need attention.

Crossroads would advise an inspection before heading south if you still believe you have an issue with the roof."

The factory is a day and a half's drive from here. We would have to pay for meals and accommodation while the trailer is in the service center.

Has anyone else ever seen this problem? Going there before we head south is not possible. We have too many commitments before we go to Florida.

Since it has not caused any problems up to now, we wonder if we should just leave it and hope for the best, or take it to the factory next year. We are more concerned about any possible problems down the road than we are of the current situation.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post

The factory is a day and a half's drive from here. We would have to pay for meals and accommodation while the trailer is in the service center.

Here is what is what I see/think.
You have to eat no matter where you are. So that shouldn't be a factor, or even figured in.

Has anyone else ever seen this problem? Going there before we head south is not possible. We have too many commitments before we go to Florida.

You have to decide what is more important. All of the commitments you have lined up for yourself, or stopping on your way to Florida to get it fixed.

Since it has not caused any problems up to now, we wonder if we should just leave it and hope for the best, or take it to the factory next year. We are more concerned about any possible problems down the road than we are of the current situation.

Myself, I would want to get it taken care of instead of waiting and agonizing for the inevitable to happen. Stop and think---how would you feel, what would you do, if it peeled off on the way to Florida and you hadn't made an appointment to have it fixed.

You folks have had more then your share of trouble and problems with that trailer. Again, this is me. If it was mine, I would be looking to replace it.
Probably not the answer you were looking for, but that's the way I see it.
[/QUOTE]
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #3
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Is it insured ?
Burn it to the ground not worth the high blood pressure
Or just let it blow off and call the insurance company
I would not take it back
If they where to lazy to do it right the 1st time or in your case 1st and 2nd time what makes you think they would do it right the 3rd (think about it)

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:10 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDG View Post
Is it insured ?
Burn it to the ground not worth the high blood pressure
Or just let it blow off and call the insurance company
I would not take it back
If they where to lazy to do it right the 1st time or in your case 1st and 2nd time what makes you think they would do it right the 3rd (think about it)
Crossroads did not fix it the first time. They said they found a local tech. I'm sure insurance money would not replace it, especially if it was determined to be arson and they get no insurance money, but insurance fraud jail time instead.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 25 nights in 8 states, 4611 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #5
TDG
Seasonal Camper

That is true you can get caught if your not smart about things but i have learned these products are a real piece of junk and the company that produces them dont care so the employes dont care
The customer ends up with all the problems
And stress . To me its just not worth it but then again just my .002 worth

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:44 AM   #6
Site Team

I don't think it's a good idea to be talking about committing ins. fraud here on the forum. We don't advocate, or recommend any such acts.
Please keep all responses pertinent to the OP's question.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to be talking about committing ins. fraud here on the forum. We don't advocate, or recommend any such acts.
Please keep all responses pertinent to the OP's question.
We would never do that anyway.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Trade it in at a Crossroads dealer and get out of it.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I'm not sure how much of your roof is loose but we had the same issue on our previous trailer. We didn't notice it till we were in South Dakota visiting family. We were coming back to the trailer and it was windy and we noticed the roof puffed up about the front third of the trailer. We went to one of the local rv dealers in town and they said that they would fix it for us. The fix only took them a few hours to do and didn't cost us much but was a fairly permanent repair that was still good even several years later. I have to add this dealer was not a dealer for our brand and they fit us in to do the fix right away even though they were busy!

Here is what they did to fix ours. They determined how far back the roof was loose and then used a wide screw molding to go from side to side across the roof. They placed about 5 or 6 pieces across the roof at about 16" o.c. and then went across each one with Dicor self leveling sealant to make sure everything was sealed up good. After the fix we went from South Dakota to West Yellowstone and then back home with no issues. We had the camper about another 3 or 4 years after that and still had no issues and the roof never got any worse.

I'm not saying this was the best fix in the world but was considerably cheaper, quicker and it held up very well. This might be something that could work on yours as well. Good luck and hope you get it fixed!

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Thanks, Phil & Janine. That was what I was looking for - first hand experience. We have decided not to go to the factory and have them look at it, it's just too far to go. We will take our chances and monitor this situation on an ongoing basis.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

I spoke to our service guy and he does not recommend adding straps to the roof. So to that end, we have contacted Crossroads to make an appointment for next summer to have it looked at.

We are not concerned about the short term effects of this issue, but rather the long term possible weakening of the roof membrane. After all, it's been like this for over a year and we've been on a few trips.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:57 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

This is what happens when they over tighten the screws on the roof, the screws break. Just takes a small section, too catch some air, and poof, there goes your roof. I replaced all of my screws with longer ones, half of them were broke off. Had to drill new pilot holes in metal strip across the roof member. Then reseal it. Also have to give TDG (Tony) a big thanks for the heads up about this issue of the broken roof screws.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote