Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
New Camper

Roof/vent cover on TT

I am trying to add a maxxair vent cover over my bath exhaust fan. TT has no ladder. Can I kneel on roof? I don't know if I can get job done standing on a ladder. Its a zinger 211rd
TIA
rlangdon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Not sure on the Zinger. On my Sunset Trail, the roof will not support weight between the trusses, so I just use a 3x3' piece of 1/2" plywood to kneel on when working up there.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I installed maxxair vents on my sunset trail. It doesn’t have an installed ladder either. At the time I had a knowledge deficit about the roof and my understanding was I could not walk on the roof. I was on hands and knees and let me tell you the roof is so thin that just my knee cracked the wood under the rubber membrane. What you MUST do is get a piece of plywood and place it on top of the roof. It’ll add extra support and you’ll be fine. The board I use now is like 2 feet wide and 4 foot long. Maybe a quarter inch thick. Just don’t stray off your platform! My father in law got the guts to stray off the platform to reach something and his knee cracked my roof under the membrane. My next rig will definitely have a walkable roof to avoid all the stress lol
garrett0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:41 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I think the general rule is that if their's no factory installed ladder the roof is not designed for walking on. If you have to get up there, be quick, be gentle and spread your weight as much as possible. I'd stay on all fours even spreading the weight with a piece of plywood. Standing up puts all your weight on a very small area. Also be sensitive to soft spots and avoid putting any weight on them at all.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:40 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormseeker View Post
I think the general rule is that if their's no factory installed ladder the roof is not designed for walking on.

Not sure how accurate this statement is. There was a same year and model TT as ours where we store ours. Theirs had a factory installed ladder and ours did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I like the rule of thumb that unless you KNOW you can get up there, assume you can't
the consequences are not worth the savings of DIY