Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Rubber Roof

I want to put silver bubble insulation on the roof of a crossroads mount rushmore 40'. I live in it full time and would remove when traveling. I want to use gorilla tape to keep the insulation down. Question: will this damage my rubber roof. The property has zero trees and while warm in winter its hot in summer and very windy all year around. I know a metal carport would work but I don't plan on living here that long.
cdessy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Never heard that question before.
Here's my thoughts.
You say it's windy there all the time. Might be quite a challenge to keep it on the roof.
But, that gorilla tape might be there forever, or it might take part of the roof membrane with it when you try to remove it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
Site Team

I agree with Lloyd on the Gorilla Tape. Might not get it up off the roof or side of rv.

Here's a possible product that will reflect 88%. I'd look into it.
White Roof Coating | Elastomeric Paint | Roof Sealing Paint

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

If you're in a rv park/campground you'd better check with them before creating a GIANT eyesore like you've described. If I were manager the answer would be NO WAY IN THIS PARK!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:56 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I used Gorilla Tape for a temporary patch when an oak limb put a hole in the membrane during the last hurricane. Just pulled it up to replace with Eternabond for a permanent patch. It actually came up fairly easily but left heavy residue like regular duct tape.

I'm not sure floppy bubble wrap is practical in windy conditions unless it was maybe under a staked down net. I can't think of anything flexible that is readily removable and wind tolerant.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If you're in a rv park/campground you'd better check with them before creating a GIANT eyesore like you've described. If I were manager the answer would be NO WAY IN THIS PARK!
I would agree with Danny. Check with the park first about aesthetics. And they may even have a solution for you. But using gorilla tape may create a problem later with pulling it off.
Is your issue with the sun beating down on your roof and causing the rig to not cool properly?

2016 Crossroads 291 RL Z-1
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Outdoorsman
www.wildlifeupclose.com
moore_rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
Gone Traveling

If you've ever felt the heat behind those that are used on auto front windshields I can only imagine the heat generated under it on an entire roof. Plus that stuff has very little R value so not sure it would be worth the money to create such a gawdy looking site.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:26 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I agree with Lloyd on the Gorilla Tape. Might not get it up off the roof or side of rv.

Here's a possible product that will reflect 88%. I'd look into it.
White Roof Coating | Elastomeric Paint | Roof Sealing Paint
This is Henry's cool sealant. It is used on mobile home roofs and metal roofs. I've used it on our workshop metal roof. It is easy to apply and lasts forever. Last I saw it was about $50 for a 5 gallon bucket. I agree with Mark, it might be a good solution.

2016 Crossroads 291 RL Z-1
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Outdoorsman
www.wildlifeupclose.com
moore_rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thank you for your advise. It would not be an eyesore because it would be on roof not on the edge or sides and I live on private property. I will check into the sealant. Thanks
cdessy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

This guy in our RV park uses this shade material. Over the top of his 5th wheel. My guess he must to be gone, as it's falling off. I know it helps, just not sure how much.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:51 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Make sure any coating is safe for rubber roofs. Any oil based products will eat through EPDM rubber. It won't do it immediately, but it will do it.