Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Cleaned the roof with Soft Scrub, it had bleach in it too,,,roof came out like brand new ! My question is should I put some kind of conditioner on it now ??

Old 11-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
Site Team

I have never seen where CR has recommended using a conditioner on the roof.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I have never used a conditioner on the roof but the rubber roof on my 2009 is made by Dicor and the paperwork with it does say you can use "their" conditioner if needed. It doesn't really explain why or when?

I have always been told to "not" use conditioner's becuase many of them have petroleum distiliates in them. These chemicals can cause the roof membrane to swell and release the underlying glue.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

If I recall correctly, using bleach on a dicor roof is a NO NO.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

YOU NEVER BLEACH THE RUBBER ROOF!!!

I would call CrossRoads, tell them your tale of woe and find out which manufacturer made your rubber roof. Then, contact them to see if there is a remedy for bleaching the roof. In the past we have taken baking soda and scrubbed the roof with it and water to neutralize the roof when clients had used Bleche White and other similar chemicals on fiberglass, vinyl, and canvas. Not sure if it would help here.

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:09 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Mine was a Dicor BriteTEK roof. The instructions do not specifically mention bleach but DO say "No abrasive agents, mineral spirits, citric based cleaners, and petroluem products"

I would call and ask, the Dicor website has customer care #'s
Old 11-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
We have a 2004 Silverado and have always used comet cleanser well rinsed and then applied the dicor conditioner once a year. After 6 years the roof still looks like new and we have had no problems. The important thing is to use a SOFT brush and rinse, rinse, and rinse again then we apply the conditioner. Just my two cents.

2003 Beaver Marquis

formerly 2004 Silverado

two ragdolls, Flash and Bandit
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

John, no offense, but 6 years with no problems on a 12 year warranted roof doesn't mean that is OK to use an abrasive on your roof. Especially since the mfg says don't do it. Fact is most rubber roofs will last far longer than 12 years if properly cared for.

I had a M/H that had a 15 year old dicor rubber roof when I sold it and it had no leaks or any other problems. I owned it for11 years.I never used an abrasive or bleach on it.I will admit that it certainly didn't look like new. It had lots of stains and discolored areas even though I followed the mfg cleaning instructions. But it functioned just fine.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I use the UV stuff at CW. I had to have a piece of roof replaced and the dealership side if you want it to stay nice the use the treatment. When I bought the trailer like washing it they gave me the trout look.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
New Camper

This message is not about roofs but a general question about a Crossroads Zinger ZF 27 RL
5 th wheel.
We liked the 2011 model but were told that the unit is not made well & to stay away from it. This was a company that does sell Cruisers Please help !!!

planecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Our first trailer was a Zinger, had no trouble with it, for the money it was really good. Only reason I replaced it was it had no slide and DW wanted something bigger. I believe cwit has that unit, and he will chime in here. It might be that they sell only the Cruiser, or that is all they have in stock, and are trying to move them before the real slow time
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #12
New Camper

That is encouraging to hear. We were all set to buy the Zinger & was told by a forest river salesman that they are not made well & stay away from them!!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

What brand from Forest River were you considering?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Hmmm. I was just in the Crossroads plant on Tuesday and saw the new Cruisers being built. I was impressed with the construction, particularly since I got to see the the components as they were installed. The complete frame structure (walls, floor, roof) are built on 16" centers like house construction. All joints are screwed together, then the interior is bonded to the wall, ceiling, ends (depending) before being installed on the frame.

I think I'd do a bit of searching on Forest River. It could be very enlightening.

If it were possible for you to wander down to Northern Indiana for a few days, the factory tours at Crossroads, KZ, Coachmen, and the others could be very enlightening.

Good luck in your search.

Al

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:15 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Your being a tad kind, they are "eye opening" to say the least. Jayco is a don't-miss tour, I liked their tour the best as the guy who gave the tour was very sharp on the process. The gentleman allowed us to walk right up to the units and ask questions.

The Crossroads tour was also good and affirmed that they build a nice product.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:37 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

The Forest River salesman sounds like the typical sales huckster, bad mouth everybody elses product just to get a sale. I have walked out on many of those types. All RV's have their issues, but I believe Crossroads makes some of the best products on the market and they certainly stand behind them.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:01 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

If Forrest River is so good then why did they go brokehttp://forest-river-campers.blogspot...s-chapter.htmlI looked at Forrest River and was told they were sold as is. I also found the Forrest River models to have the most items that needed fixing before they were sold.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:50 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

I can speak to the Crossroads warranty and service first hand as that is why mine was back up to Topeka.

We purchased our Seville in August this year and took it on a 800 mile trip for a shakedown (farther than we wanted to go the first time but the grandkids wanted to go camping). As we got ready to move, the refrigerator had problems cooling down. I found the service manual for the Norcold unit and was able to put it into diagnostics mode to determine the issue.

I called Randy at Crossroads, Randy called Norcold, and the Norcold field rep called me back to help diagnose the fact that it was stuck in defrost. He suggested I pull the defrost heater power, that let the refrigerator cool down and was usable for the trip. The Norcold field reps (yes, two of them) came to the house the next week and put in the replacement parts.

I had a problem with the brake adjustment, slide seals not flipping, and a couple of other minor issues so I took it back to Topeka. Randy and Alan found a couple of things that I missed (and that Camping World might have been reluctant to handle) so I left it in their care for a week.

I spent 42+ years in customer service and field repair. I can say without any reservation that the Crossroads service team (Randy, Alan, and the others) are some of the best I have had the pleasure to work with.

Crossroads is a good unit but like Dale, Mike and sking have pointed out, the tours are a good idea and if Forest River is so good, then why did they go broke. I'd avoid them for other reasons, one of which is customer service and responsiveness.

When you are looking at spending this kind of money, the research is a good idea.

I did have something related to me by a friend that has some folks in BC. They came down here and bought their camper, titled and registered it, and then took it back. That evidently got them clear of the import duties, transport charges, etc. It may be worth looking into as it could pay for the trip down to have a look and then some.

Good luck in your search.

Edited by: WoodcarvingGypsy
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Just to clarify - Forest River has not filed and the article is an older article refering to Fleetwoods liquidation.

Forest River is quite healthy and does make some nice lines of RV's. Some of their lines are junk but that will happen with such a large company.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #20
New Camper

It was the rockwood Signature ULtra Lite by Forest River. We want to stay around the 6000-6500 lbs.