Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Rubber seals make slide out jump

I have a 2013 Crossroads 28FB we have owned since new (to us in 2014). We have had issues with the slide "jumping" only when we slide it in. It slides out fine. I have diagnosed this jumping issue to the rubber seals having waaayyy to much friction. I also noticed that if the slide walls were wet from rain it did not jump. We will be taking our camper out of storage in a couple weeks so I want to have the best plan to take care of the issue.

I have yet to wax the slide or rest of the camper. I did try using baby powder on the rubber slide seals and that did work for a short time. What is the best method/product to use to keep the seals from sticking? I think that when it jumps it puts unnecessary stress on the slide mechanism so I want to fix this.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Have you treated the wipers with a silicone?
A lot of the guys use Protect All.
I usually clean mine a few times a year, then use a silicone on them.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Most people have the opposite issue. With infrequent use, slide outs are closed more than they are open. So, the exterior seal will stick and cause problems when trying to open the slide out after it has been in storage for a long time. Also, the exterior seal makes contact with the trailer wall but not the slide out wall, and the 'jump' will happen at the beginning of the motion.

From what you are describing, it sounds like the middle seal is not flipping when you initially open the slide out. Then when you try closing the slide, the seal finally flips. When wet, it never flips. If this is the case, waxing is not the solution.

Maybe look at my recent thread.http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...html#post94856

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:59 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

With more thought I don't think it is the middle seal not flipping initially when opening the slide out, since then it would already be correctly positioned when closing the slide. Also, if you have a Schwintek or BAL cable slide system, your seals may be significantly different in design. However, assuming they have a similar middle seal, then at some point that seal has to flip. If it doesn't flip right away, it will when the slide out trim forces it to flip the last few inches of travel.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:16 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Give it a good spray with slide seal conditioner?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:46 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Protect those rubber seals with 303 and then lubricate ALL gaskets with Talcum.

303 Aerospace Protectant : 303® Aerospace Protectant™ for long-lasting finish and shine

Talcum:
http://powerliftingacademy.com/baby-powder-talcum-powder-for-reducing-friction-during-deadlift/
For when your slideout is powerlifting