Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Running my fridge while driving

Hi...been searching online and get mixed answers. I would like to run my fridge while driving but not on propane. Would my trucks power be enough to run the fridge through the plug?
Fstfrd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

It has to be either 110 shore power or propane. Most run on propane while traveling. I think some older models had a 12 volt on their fridge but I would be surprised if any newer models do. Which I've been wrong a couple of times. Lol

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Gone Traveling

Most rv fridges aren't capable of running on 12 volt only, they use 12 volt to power the control board. If you're talking residential fridge, it would depends on what rv/tow vehicle, how many batteries, is the charge wire connected.
Is there some specific reason you don't want to run it on propane as it was designed to do?
Please add your rv details in your signature so it will be easier to help with any issue you may have.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I was just uneasy driving with the propane running..i have a 2011 27 foot.

Is it designed to run on propane while driving?
Fstfrd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstfrd01 View Post
I was just uneasy driving with the propane running..i have a 2011 27 foot.

Is it designed to run on propane while driving?
As stated previously, the most of us run on propane when traveling. Set it on auto and go. Just remember to turn it off before you pull up to the pump for gas. Then turn it back on after you have pulled away.

Also as previously stated, Please add the make, model and year of your RV in your signature so we know what RV you are talking about.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
Site Team

That's the advantage of having a dual mode fridge. Just follow Lloyds advice and you'll be fine. These type of fridges have been used for decades.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

From an earlier tread I was part of, we found out that it is ok to run fridge on propane while driving. That way when you get to your designation, it is still cold, and no food or milk goes bad. Like they said, that is what it is designed to do.

Happy Camping Yall
SJSS Slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

It also depends on how long a drive....
even with a residential fridge, if you are only going 4 or 5 hours, if cold and loaded with cold food, it will stay cold...

Have you ever lost power at your house ? how long did the fridge stay cold ? pretty long, correct ?

A couple things to do if you are concerned...
if you have a recording thermometer is best, but put an ice cube in a bowl in the freezer, if it partially melts, you got too warm...
Old 08-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

We usually only do a 3 hour trip, so in our case we turn it off. As soon as we are established it goes back on, so far no issues. Pack a blue ice unit in there.
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

That what I was saying, I learned that it was ok to run on propane while driving. But like you said John, it will stay cold for a good while not plugged in, if the door is kept close. We usually have maybe a 2 hour drive anywhere we go so far, had not made big long trips as of yet, and was turning it off at house when we leave and turned it on when we got to campground. Fridge was still cold when we arrive as well as freezer.

Happy Camping Yall
SJSS Slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #11
Gone Traveling

Mine is set on "auto" & done.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:55 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

no, your truck is 12 v..... unless u use an inverter. none of my plugs in rv are connected to inverted (converter). i added an inverter in front slam door, so when dry camping, i can use 110v fans etc
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

i also have a 2011 27' fifth wheel. i always run on propane when driving. doesn't work work a darn on propane, so i put a block of ice in pan on bottom with a camco fan, drops temp from mid 50's to low to mid forties on gas. they are made to run on propane while driving, and i don't see why there would be a problem.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

I always run on propane while driving because they take so long to cool once we arrive at our camp site... I'm still fairly new to RVing [a couple years] and wonder why people say to shut off the propane when refueling? We've only made a couple long distance trips where we had to refuel while connected... were we just lucky?
ehudson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehudson80 View Post
wonder why people say to shut off the propane when refueling? We've only made a couple long distance trips where we had to refuel while connected... were we just lucky?
Gasoline fumes are much much quicker to ignite and blow then the gasoline it's self. If you have never seen a gas can blow from a spark that was clear across the room or building, then I guess you probably don't realize how dangerous the fumes are around the pilot light.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote