Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #1

Well, I took to 5er out this past week for the first short trip of the year and it was 72 degrees in N.C. on Thursday. So, ended up coming back home and the Temp. has dropped like crazy. It's now 26 degrees outside. I've always used RV Antifreeze to winterize. I decided to just hookup the air at 40 PSI and blow out the lines knowing it's going to warm back up; which I did. Then I started thinking about 25 years of camping and never having a bursted line due to freezing. At noon today I couldn't stand it anymore and decided to re-winterize the unit with the RV Antifreeze again. Since I had blown all the water from the lines it only took 1 gal to winterize instead of two like usual. Maybe knowing I had the water out of the lines or maybe I usually just use extra. General question to everyone if you use rv antifreeze or blow out the lines. And if antifreeze how much do you usually use? Just wondering.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Site Team

Last couple of years I have been hooking up the air hose and leisurely going around to each faucet/water outlet, and blowing the lines, but like you I can't "not" put the pink stuff in.
If memory serves me right, it took about one gal. more or less.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

When you blow out the lines you need only displace the water remaining in the low points of the system as the PEX travels over and under objects in the coach. A gallon, if you by-passed the HWH, sounds just right.

For the cost of a gallon of anti-freeze (about $3.50 around here) it's good insurance.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I do both - blow out and use antifreeze - ensure the low spots are taken care of.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78

When you blow out the lines you need only displace the water remaining in the low points of the system as the PEX travels over and under objects in the coach. A gallon, if you by-passed the HWH, sounds just right.

For the cost of a gallon of anti-freeze (about $3.50 around here) it's good insurance.

X2

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to timscruiser
I to can't trust just blowing one out and for the cost of antifreez ?

THE CONROYS MINI MOTEL ]]

<br /
timscruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

1.5 gal of the pink stuff each fall. Could probably gotten by with 1 gal but want to make certain all the lines are a good shade of pink.
Then again, it is Minnesota so our cold may be cooler than some....Except for this winter. I am kinda ashamed to say it has not been very cold. Parts of Texas have gotten more snow than we have.
What is happening with the world these days?

mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I blow the lines out only - no antifreeze. Just blow them out until no water or mist is coming out. If there is any water left in the lines it will have room to expand when it freezes - no problem. Don't forget the toilet valve and outside shower.

After I am done I put antifreeze or auto window washe fluid in the traps. That's it!
The bunk bedroom is for Haley!

Crossing the Roads with The Mason-Dixon Bunch
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I hate to be on the band wagon, but I too feel the $3 for antifreeze is worth it. Watch for deals, too...I bought my RV antifreeze at Advanced Auto on sale for $1.50 a gallon.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Let me tell all you who just blow out the lines a story. My brother and I have had this continued argument, I put in antifreeze, he blows the lines. We did an experiment. I winterized with antifreeze (bypass w/heater) and used a little over 2 gallons. Then, I blew out the lines with air and recovered 1 gallon. Where did the rest go? In the lines, of course. When the level of fluid gets about half in a pipe, the air just goes over the top of the fluid and blows out mist. When you stop blowing, it settles and FILLS the pipes in low spots. He got away with just blowing air for a couple years until, you guessed it, a low point pipe burst and he didn't notice it until recharging the system in the Spring and it wasn't easy getting to the pipe to fix it. Now, granted, we both had motorhomes then but I think the principle of the thing is the same. You can't blow liquid out of a half filled pipe because the air just goes right by the top of it so, force out the water with the antifreeze and if $3.00 is too much for you, blow some out with air and recover antifreeze. See how much you get back!!!
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #11

Great story. Thanks. I never thought about recovering the antifreeze. But I will do that soon.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Air->Pink. 1 Gal.

Nice story.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote