Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

RV Cleaning/waxing

Got our ST32RL back yesterday after almost 2 months at the dealer for a perplexing wardrobe slide leak. Needless to say the unit was quite dirty from being in their lot. I point blank asked the service manager what they use to wash the units and get rid of the black streaks. It is purple power, available at Walmart. Picked up a gallon this morning and proceeded to wash the unit. Yes, in mid January, washing the trailer. Was almost 70 today, have to love it. February will surely punish us for it. The black streaks came out, some areas required a 2nd full strength wash, but they came out. After the unit dried I started applying a wax/sealer called ReJex. Came across this on a boat forum I believe. Had tried a small area before the last repair attempt and the black streaks wiped right off. Did the whole unit today in preparation of what winter might throw at us. Very pleased with the ease of application, and especially how easy it came off. Now to get the unit back to the dealer for the 5th time to get this *&$%# leak resolved once and for all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ST32RL01162016.jpg (170.5 KB, 13 views)
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT, Mega Cab
Cummins powered
Golfreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

All I can say is, Purple Stuff (or any of it's cousin's ) is Higher strength Bleach, with a few added emulsifiers. If used enough times it will destroy anything Vinyl, Etch and eat anything it touches that's aluminum, and strip the shine off of acrylic Paints. There's a reason they use it to clean years of grease off your engine or concrete. It will strip both. My vote says no.......
Old 01-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I washed mine the other day when it got into the 50's. I just used the armor all car wash I use on my truck. Black streaks came off.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the tip.
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I use Blue Beacon truck washes ��
Old 01-17-2016, 02:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
I use Blue Beacon truck washes ��

John, you probably just have more money then the rest of us.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I use products from Adams Polishes. Their all purpose cleaner works great on the awning, but the best product I have found to remove black streaks and leaves a waxed finish is called http://www.fukkenwax.com

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:12 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Mothers wash / wax. Streaks come right off.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attman6 View Post
All I can say is, Purple Stuff (or any of it's cousin's ) is Higher strength Bleach, with a few added emulsifiers. If used enough times it will destroy anything Vinyl, Etch and eat anything it touches that's aluminum, and strip the shine off of acrylic Paints. There's a reason they use it to clean years of grease off your engine or concrete. It will strip both. My vote says no.......
X2! I would never use that stuff on a painted surface (I think it even says that on the bottle) and especially on my vinyl graphics. That stuff is made to dry up and break down oils. I use that stuff to clean engines, greasy parts and tools and clean oil off the concrete. This will destroy the finish and graphics on your unit. You would be better off using a good quality automotive soap or RV soap to wash your unit and then use a good quality wax. If you keep your unit waxed with a good quality wax the black streaks should just wipe right off. I personally use products from a company called Driven To Perfection and I have no problem removing black streaks, bugs, road grim, etc. it all just wipes right off.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
John, you probably just have more money then the rest of us.
Wish it were true, but it's more of the "I don't want to's" not the cost

I get paid more to do other things, so I let the experts do the things I can't (or don't want to ) do

$35 to wash my monster is CHEAP IMHO... I would spend more than that on water, much less everything else.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Initial wash was at a 1:5 ratio which I probably watered down further. When the few stubborn streaks didn't wash off I mixed a spray bottle at probably a 1:3 ratio. Everything was washed down very well and was dry before I put the wax on. Needed something to clean the crud up as the unit has been at the dealer more than we've had it at home so I could get a good wash and wax on it before winter. Appreciate the info though as I will save the remainder for the pool deck. Now if the rain and snow would stop long enough for the ground to dry up so I can get the unit back to the dealer.....
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT, Mega Cab
Cummins powered
Golfreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

When waxing a camper, does one wax right over the decals? If so, does this have any adverse effects on the decals?
Ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Eric
I go right over the decals...I use Turtle Wax Ice...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #14
New Camper

I have read that we should not use a buffer to either apply wax or remove it in areas with decals. I have used Turtle Wax Ice, applied by hand, and that worked. I learned from one of my boating magazines that the longest lasting wax for fiberglass is Collinite Marine Wax and it is my intention to use that in the future.
Lefty Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote